Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 107

Paid Reviews: Critics or Conmen?

This is a discussion on Paid Reviews: Critics or Conmen? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Originally Posted by LAWLZilla Story is better? Wait hold on let me put away my coffee before I spill it ...

  1. #61
    Kiwi Defender
    Nagflar's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Vice City
    Posts
    6,570
    Reputation
    386

    Quote Originally Posted by LAWLZilla View Post
    Story is better? Wait hold on let me put away my coffee before I spill it everywhere from laughter at that comment...

    Quote Originally Posted by Minarum View Post
    #1, It's not impossible demands but that's not the point of my argument even though I agree with you.

    #2, true to an extent. How sticky or clunky the controls are is the only concern I'd see with relying on a video, but watching a handful. You should be able to figure it out by the smoothness or roughness. Other than that, It's extremely reliable. Just don't watch too much or you'll spoil the game...

    #3, there have been countless accounts here where people say. Oh the game got bad reviews, I'm not going to touch it. It happens ALL the time IRL, here, everywhere. Even sales clerks at your retail store will sway you to pick up a certain game and avoid others. I deal with it all the time.

    #4, and I agree with you. My whole point from day one and even in post one was that people need to judge a game for themselves instead of following reviews or opinions of others. Which is why I don't read reviews. Specially when the reviewers can't even get the right genre of game down.... Funny shit.



    Which is the point I've made for many years now.
    #1, I see, then.

    #2, Well, you obviously avoid anything with important plot points or twists, though .

    #3, Well, I guess I overlooked them lol. And in my personal experience in the outside world, it's never happened. The few clercks I've talked to never mentioned reviews but their own opinions.

    #4, Who did that ?

    Quote Originally Posted by JackAttack View Post
    In that, who in their right minds would blindly spend $60 to buy a game without hearing what others think of it first?
    They could watch videos a la Minarum, too.

    Toggle Spoiler



    Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

  2. #62
    INTJ
    Ps360's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    12,268
    Reputation
    310

    Quote Originally Posted by kianstrike View Post
    So, what websites do you think are reliable in terms of their reviews? (except ps3trophies.com of course )
    av club is the only one for me. theres rarely a time me and that site disagree.

    http://www.avclub.com/section/games/

    edge is ok at times.

  3. #63
    Lvl 3 - Bronze


    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Hamilton ON
    Posts
    179
    Reputation
    4

    I have seen this happen before. Gamespot were advertising Kane and Lynch 1 all over there site before the game was released. Then when it came out one of the reviewers ave it a poor review and not even two days later he was fired. Don't know if it was because of the review or something else but it seemed like that's why he got fired

  4. #64
    One
    One is offline
    Lvl 6 - Silver
    One's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Toronto.
    Posts
    435
    Reputation
    46

    I don't read reviews.

    Honestly if someone can't make the decision of whether or not they'll like a certain game by themselves, get used to a life of wasted of money and regrets. Half of the time all of these top notch games never live up to the hype anyway, I'm looking at you Skyrim. And it's only a few months after all the awards and hype have died down that all these top notch reviewers dissect the game to see why it really isn't what it was made out to be, and how it could have been better.

    Frankly I'm not surprised that reviewers are payed off to ignore certain areas of a certain game, which is all the more reason to respect the journalists that step out and write about what they want. Play demos and watch gameplay, that's easily the best way to make a decision on a purchase.

    "Oh, so you think that the darkness is your ally? You merely adopted it, I was born in it."

  5. #65
    PRO Member
    Kerwan_Ratchet's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    In a multiverses of different bodies and souls
    Posts
    1,901
    Reputation
    74

    Paid reviewers exist, and in my opinion are the lowest in the jounalism industry. They taint people's assumptions of games and also soil the products. It's insane. Then again, nobody should really trust any review - they're always to be taken with a gain of salt. I don't see how a game such as GTA 4 or Bioshock got the scores they did, but then again that's an extreme.

    But if you want unbiased game reviews, you can find 'em on this website. No need to venture outside into the cold.




  6. #66
    Legend...Nuff Said
    Lasombra's Avatar


    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Korea
    Posts
    1,535
    Reputation
    185

    Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    Well, the games tha receive the awards are those that are praised the most, for they are (supposedly) the best ones, hence the high ratings they get, but that's not my point. My point is people pay too much attention to the score and not enough to the review itself. Take for example Gauss' FFXIII-2 review, and how many people went bananas about the score, but most of the few who actually read through it found it to be more than reasonable and agreed with the score it was given due to the way he worded his thoughts. This, and more examples (that happen to be more reviews by Gauss and Curb), lead me to believe that if people paid more attention to the review itself and not the score, we wouldn't be having so much issues with reviews as we are nowadays.
    Then reviewers should stop giving a numerical score. Reviewers should delete that part of the review. Game Players magazine (now defunct) had the only reviews out of anywhere that I respected because they used a formula that made sense. Every category had equal weight and the score was an average of them all. I believe there would be a lot less complaining about 'overall scores' if the final score actually meant something than arbitrary number. Review sites should average out their category scores so the overall actually is an overall.

    L
    asombra Files Interviews and Top Trophy Tournament Commentary from Skip and Max linked in the banner.
    Checkout the Facebook page or follow me on Twitter @LasombraFiles
    My novels can be found here: The Lasombra Files: Choice and Consequence and
    Til Death Do Us Part
    Big thanks to the site for giving me my start as a writer!

  7. #67
    Lvl 9 - Gold
    Minarum's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Your mom's bed, aka Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,102
    Reputation
    27

    Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    #4, Who did that ?
    IGN and most of the "big wig" reviewers. But I'm mainly talking about RPG games. Being a huge D&D nerd and growing up playing RPG's all my life, I find it funny when reviewers call FPS'ers and action/adventure games, RPG's.

    Quote Originally Posted by JackAttack View Post
    See, the problem with these statements here are that you cannot be your own critic without trying a game. In that, who in their right minds would blindly spend $60 to buy a game without hearing what others think of it first?

    And there is the logic to why people do and should read reviews. There's nothing wrong with forming your own opinion about a game, hell, you will end up doing so whether you want to or not, but there generally needs to be some sort of influence to go and get a game, and that's where a review comes in to play.
    Who in their right mind would blindly spend $60 on a game they know nothing about? Then again, who in their right mind would spend $60 on a new game? Amazon, Ebay, and Youtube FTW.
    August 2011 Trophy Competition Winner

  8. #68
    PRO Member
    Kerwan_Ratchet's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    In a multiverses of different bodies and souls
    Posts
    1,901
    Reputation
    74

    Quote Originally Posted by Minarum View Post
    funny when reviewers call FPS'ers and action/adventure games, RPG's.
    I agree. Borderlands, Deus Ex: HR (partly), Dead Island, Bioshock, Mass Effect, etc. Other than maybe Deus Ex those games are NOT RPGs. Deus Ex can be depending how you play...




  9. #69
    Legend...Nuff Said
    Lasombra's Avatar


    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Korea
    Posts
    1,535
    Reputation
    185

    Quote Originally Posted by Kerwan_Ratchet View Post
    I agree. Borderlands, Deus Ex: HR (partly), Dead Island, Bioshock, Mass Effect, etc. Other than maybe Deus Ex those games are NOT RPGs. Deus Ex can be depending how you play...
    I've not played Bioshock so I can't comment on it, but all of those games in your list are RPGs...just FP/TP view RPGs.

    L
    asombra Files Interviews and Top Trophy Tournament Commentary from Skip and Max linked in the banner.
    Checkout the Facebook page or follow me on Twitter @LasombraFiles
    My novels can be found here: The Lasombra Files: Choice and Consequence and
    Til Death Do Us Part
    Big thanks to the site for giving me my start as a writer!

  10. #70
    Gotham's Reckoning
    gamelord-2007's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Barad-dûr
    Posts
    1,329
    Reputation
    36

    I never bother with reviews, I usually go by my own judgement. If there is a game that interests me but unsure of wheter or not I should get it, I either download and play the demo version (if it has one) or watch a bunch of gameplay videos and if it I like it I'll get it and if not I'll just ignore it.





    You see, madness, as you know, is like gravity. All it takes is a little push


    Platbar By Wadefan

    Sig By Apokolypz

    PPS Bar By RaveNScythE18

  11. #71
    Resident PHD
    dr_mayus's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    3,803
    Reputation
    459

    Quote Originally Posted by Kerwan_Ratchet View Post
    I agree. Borderlands, Deus Ex: HR (partly), Dead Island, Bioshock, Mass Effect, etc. Other than maybe Deus Ex those games are NOT RPGs. Deus Ex can be depending how you play...
    They are WRPGs where because they have a leveling up system installed people call them RPGs. I don't like that term either because that would mean Ratchet and Clank is an RPG

    AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

  12. #72
    Lvl 5 - Silver
    Ryan's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    the ghetto
    Posts
    329
    Reputation
    37

    Quote Originally Posted by Kerwan_Ratchet View Post
    I agree. Borderlands, Deus Ex: HR (partly), Dead Island, Bioshock, Mass Effect, etc. Other than maybe Deus Ex those games are NOT RPGs. Deus Ex can be depending how you play...
    What?! Have you played Mass Effect 1, 2, or 3? 1 had more micromanaging your inventory then most JRPGs. If a game has an inventory, leveling system, choices that affect the story, etc. I think they can be considered RPGs (you can leave out a few of those, as shown by Mass Effect 2 and 3).

  13. #73
    PRO Member
    Kerwan_Ratchet's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    In a multiverses of different bodies and souls
    Posts
    1,901
    Reputation
    74

    Quote Originally Posted by Lasombra View Post
    I've not played Bioshock so I can't comment on it, but all of those games in your list are RPGs...just FP/TP view RPGs.
    Sorry, but I have to disagree there.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    What?! Have you played Mass Effect 1, 2, or 3? 1 had more micromanaging your inventory then most JRPGs. If a game has an inventory, leveling system, choices that affect the story, etc. I think they can be considered RPGs (you can leave out a few of those, as shown by Mass Effect 2 and 3).
    Not always. There are also a few other aspects that make a game an RPG, like the classic JRPG styles of games such as FF. And yes: I have played the ME games, and you do have a point about ME1, but I still don't consider ME2 or ME3 to be RPGs.




  14. #74
    Lvl 9 - Gold
    Minarum's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Your mom's bed, aka Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,102
    Reputation
    27

    Quote Originally Posted by Lasombra View Post
    I've not played Bioshock so I can't comment on it, but all of those games in your list are RPGs...just FP/TP view RPGs.
    No they are not RPG's. You can't leave out 50-75% of what it takes to make an RPG and still call it an RPG. Just because you have a leveling system doesn't make the game an RPG.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    What?! Have you played Mass Effect 1, 2, or 3? 1 had more micromanaging your inventory then most JRPGs. If a game has an inventory, leveling system, choices that affect the story, etc. I think they can be considered RPGs (you can leave out a few of those, as shown by Mass Effect 2 and 3).
    Lets not forget stats that you must rely on effecting your damage, health, chance to hit. No spamming of skills to finish off the enemies. What equipment you can or can't wear, customizing your equipment and character, what classes you can be, the roll of the dice to determine if you roll a good or bad hit. The regen factor before, during, and after a battle and etc.

    Choices to effect the story and a leveling system doesn't make a game an RPG.
    August 2011 Trophy Competition Winner

  15. #75
    Lvl 5 - Silver
    Ryan's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    the ghetto
    Posts
    329
    Reputation
    37

    Quote Originally Posted by Kerwan_Ratchet View Post
    Sorry, but I have to disagree there.


    Not always. There are also a few other aspects that make a game an RPG, like the classic JRPG styles of games such as FF. And yes: I have played the ME games, and you do have a point about ME1, but I still don't consider ME2 or ME3 to be RPGs.
    Anything can be an RPG though, it's a Role Playing Game, where you role play as one of the main characters. That means you make choices and level up and get engrossed in the story. I disagree with you, but I'll even say that BioShock and Borderlands aren't RPGs (even though I think they are), but you can't tell me that every game on that list isn't an RPG.

    Here's a question for you: what makes an RPG? Don't try and play the "WRPGs aren't RPGs" card either, because even though I hate JRPGs, I'd still say they were RPGs.

  16. #76
    Lvl 5 - Silver
    Ryan's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    the ghetto
    Posts
    329
    Reputation
    37

    Quote Originally Posted by Minarum View Post
    No they are not RPG's. You can't leave out 50-75% of what it takes to make an RPG and still call it an RPG. Just because you have a leveling system doesn't make the game an RPG.



    Lets not forget stats that you must rely on effecting your damage, health, chance to hit. No spamming of skills to finish off the enemies. What equipment you can or can't wear, customizing your equipment and character, what classes you can be, the roll of the dice to determine if you roll a good or bad hit. The regen factor before, during, and after a battle and etc.

    Choices to effect the story and a leveling system doesn't make a game an RPG.
    See that's where you're wrong. That can describe a JRPG, but a WRPG is different. An RPG is a Role Playing Game, where you play the role of a character. That's it.

  17. #77
    Kiwi Defender
    Nagflar's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Vice City
    Posts
    6,570
    Reputation
    386

    Quote Originally Posted by Kerwan_Ratchet View Post
    But if you want unbiased game reviews, you can find 'em on this website. No need to venture outside into the cold.
    Your Batman and Skyrim reviews, and Jacko's Dark Souls review beg to differ.

    Quote Originally Posted by Minarum View Post
    IGN and most of the "big wig" reviewers. But I'm mainly talking about RPG games. Being a huge D&D nerd and growing up playing RPG's all my life, I find it funny when reviewers call FPS'ers and action/adventure games, RPG's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerwan_Ratchet View Post
    I agree. Borderlands, Deus Ex: HR (partly), Dead Island, Bioshock, Mass Effect, etc. Other than maybe Deus Ex those games are NOT RPGs. Deus Ex can be depending how you play...
    Quote Originally Posted by Minarum View Post
    No they are not RPG's. You can't leave out 50-75% of what it takes to make an RPG and still call it an RPG. Just because you have a leveling system doesn't make the game an RPG.

    Choices to effect the story and a leveling system doesn't make a game an RPG.
    Both of you give me a perfect definition of RPG and what a game needs to have/lack in order to be one. Until then, you are as wrong as Ps360 when he said FFXIII wasn't an RPG.

    So far, only one person has brought up a solid point about what makes a game an RPG, and that's Ryan ("it's a Role Playing Game, where you role play as one of the main characters"). Just because you ain't rolling a dice or you're taking turns to perform different actions doesn't mean you ain't playing an RPG. Just because you swing your sword every time you press a button doesn't mean that it ain't an RPG.

    Toggle Spoiler



    Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

  18. #78
    Lvl 5 - Silver
    Ryan's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    the ghetto
    Posts
    329
    Reputation
    37

    Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    So far, only one person has brought up a solid point about what makes a game an RPG, and that's Ryan ("it's a Role Playing Game, where you role play as one of the main characters")
    Nag actually agreed with me?!


  19. #79
    Lvl 6 - Silver
    CheapJuggler's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    411
    Reputation
    11

    I have never bought or not bought a game based on reviews or user reviews... I know what I like and dont like.. I haven't used IGN since you had to start paying for the guides and whatever a long time ago... F that. I don't trust any "major" news or review site... You just gotta know something is fishy...

    I look at gameplay footage, not the commercials... Unless you are new to gaming and don't really know what is good or what suits you, then you could possibly get duped but if you hear a game is good and spend $60 on it and feel let down you have yourself to blame...

    On the same line I have never paid anything but 19.99 for a new game... The only reason games have become more expensive is because of game reviews and hype... and because people will pay it... So I laugh whenever I hear someone buys a new game when if you have patience a week later the price will drop... or you could buy it used for even cheaper...

    Though I have to admit this site has some of the best user reivews and comments I've seen out there...
    But I really only look at the list of offline plats and plat difficulty in buying a game, or just for fun...

  20. #80
    Vive La Révelation!
    Xx_R3V3LAT1ON_xX's Avatar


    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Colorado!
    Posts
    951
    Reputation
    164

    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers35 View Post
    Paid reviews are a load of crap and shouldn't happen, what's the point in reviewing a game if you're not actually going to give out honest information?
    It's also the same with allowing someone who loves a game/hates a game to actually review it, because the outcome will be bias, most of the time anyway.

    But it's also rubbish comparing a gaming sites official review scores to that of the users choice score, a lot of people vote a game down without even playing it because they don't like the game. Perfect example of that would be any Call of Duty, or Final Fantasy XIII-2.
    I’m 100% with Luke on this one.
    Avy & Signature by the Legend, Bladia.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:16 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.10
Copyright © 2018 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO