Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Paid Reviews: Critics or Conmen?

This is a discussion on Paid Reviews: Critics or Conmen? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Originally Posted by Ryan See that's where you're wrong. That can describe a JRPG, but a WRPG is different. An ...

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    See that's where you're wrong. That can describe a JRPG, but a WRPG is different. An RPG is a Role Playing Game, where you play the role of a character. That's it.
    Lol, if that's the case. Almost every game created is an RPG. Which IS WRONG. There are guidelines to follow in the RPG world from Pen and Paper days. Majority of "WRPG's" do not follow those guidelines, even "JRPG's" don't follow them.

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    Both of you give me a perfect definition of RPG and what a game needs to have/lack in order to be one. Until then, you are as wrong as Ps360 when he said FFXIII wasn't an RPG.

So far, only one person has brought up a solid point about what makes a game an RPG, and that's Ryan ("it's a Role Playing Game, where you role play as one of the main characters"). Just because you ain't rolling a dice or you're taking turns to perform different actions doesn't mean you ain't playing an RPG. Just because you swing your sword every time you press a button doesn't mean that it ain't an RPG.
    It's been explained quite a few times preapoc, and even after it. I grow tired of repeating myself. Just look up D&D rules set(the pen and paper days with dice). Where RPG's originated from. As far as what makes a game an RPG(playing the role of a main character). Then every Mario game is an RPG, so is Zelda, Resistance series, COD games, Portal, and pretty much everything except for board games and puzzle games. This is not a solid or valid point. What about the 99% of the rule set needed to be an RPG? Yah lets just forget about that. Every game is an RPG. The same argument that keeps being brought up, and the same argument that keeps getting shot down.

And no ps360 is not that wrong or off. FF13 is pretty borderline. Just because it's a FF game, doesn't automatically make it an RPG. Specially with the major changes brought into the game.
    August 2011 Trophy Competition Winner

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by Minarum View Post
    It's been explained quite a few times preapoc, and even after it. I grow tired of repeating myself. Just look up D&D rules set(the pen and paper days with dice). Where RPG's originated from. As far as what makes a game an RPG(playing the role of a main character). Then every Mario game is an RPG, so is Zelda, Resistance series, COD games, Portal, and pretty much everything except for board games and puzzle games. This is not a solid or valid point. What about the 99% of the rule set needed to be an RPG? Yah lets just forget about that. Every game is an RPG.

And no ps360 is not that wrong or off. FF13 is borderline.
    Just because D&D was the first RPG, you use it's rules as guidelines as to what makes other games RPGs ? That's like saying Age of Empires isn't a strategy game because it isn't played the same way Risk or Stratego are played.

No. In Mario you don't play the role, you just control the character. Same with The Legend of Zelda, same with Resistance, same with Cock of Doody, same with Portal, etc. This was brought up ages ago by Gauss as a reply to one of Ps360's countless posts. The fact that you are controlling a character isn't the same as playing the role.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I like the second one
    Action may not always bring happiness, but there is no happiness without action.
    playstation 3 controller

Lvl 9 - Gold

Just because D&D was the first RPG, you use it's rules as guidelines as to what makes other games RPGs ? That's like saying Age of Empires isn't a strategy game because it isn't played the same way Risk or Stratego are played.

No. In Mario you don't play the role, you just control the character. Same with The Legend of Zelda, same with Resistance, same with Cock of Doody, same with Portal, etc. This was brought up ages ago by Gauss as a reply to one of Ps360's countless posts. The fact that you are controlling a character isn't the same as playing the role.
    Lol, YES you do, and what do you think we do in FF games and other games? We control the character and play their role. But if you want to borrow some aspects of the system with other aspects of a totally different game set or system. Then identify yourself as that. This whole WRPG bs. It's Action RPG or Hack and Slash, Action Adventure, FPS/RPG, 3PS/RPG. Not a straight up RPG
    Last edited by Minarum; 03-14-2012 at 08:41 PM.

PRO Member

I actually wish that the score system was never invented so people would just read the damn review and make their own judgement. That is why I love watching random reviewers on youtube who just give a review and no score.

Sig by Bladia

Get bent...

Cock of Doody.
    WTF is that?
    What happens to CoD players when they try to play Dark Souls...

Formerly known as Tyrion619

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja-In-A-Tree View Post
    WTF is that?
    CoD.

Quote Originally Posted by Minarum View Post
    Lol, YES you do, and what do you think we do in FF games and other games? We control the character and play their role. But if you want to borrow some aspects of the system with other aspects of a totally different game set or system. Then identify yourself as that. This whole WRPG bs. It's Action RPG or Hack and Slash, Action Adventure, FPS/RPG, 3PS/RPG. Not a straight up RPG
    No, it's not the same. Role playing means you assume the role of a character and take responsibility of the character's actions within a narrative through decision-making or character development. Guess what? Mario, Zelda, CoD, etc., have no real narrative, whereas ME, Deus Ex, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, The Elder Scrolls and Fallout do. That's why they are considered RPGs and GTA isn't. That's why Ryan actually made a fair point and you've yet to make one.

The thing about WRPGs is that there is a bigger focus on exploration and decision-making than on character development, whereas JRPGs have a bigger focus on character-development (and, depending on the JRPG, sometimes exploration).

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Get bent...

CoD.
    Ahhh...gotcha.

I thought it was a legit, oddball RPG from Japan or something.

They seem to like giving their games 'odd' titles.

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

I think giving a toss about the score/feedback/opinion of others would have stopped me playing....

Grand Theft Auto IV
    Heavy Rain
    Metal Gear Solid 2
    SOS The Final Escape
    Kid Chameleon
    Binary Domain
    Manhunt
    Devil May Cry
    Jak and Daxter

I like those games, i'd be a fool to deny myself the chance to play them because Johhny Generic says it's bum.

That said, my stubborness means i abandoned Resident Evil, Devil May Cry and will not touch Halo ever ever again.

Lvl 5 - Silver

The thing about WRPGs is that there is a bigger focus on exploration and decision-making than on character development, whereas JRPGs have a bigger focus on character-development (and, depending on the JRPG, sometimes exploration).
    WRPGs have a focus on character development too, in Deus Ex: HR, the whole game is about the character saying "He never asked for this" and coming to grips with his augmentations, Mass Effect's character development is whatever you want it to be with dialogue choices, etc.

Legend...Nuff Said

CoD.

No, it's not the same. Role playing means you assume the role of a character and take responsibility of the character's actions within a narrative through decision-making or character development. Guess what? Mario, Zelda, CoD, etc., have no real narrative, whereas ME, Deus Ex, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, The Elder Scrolls and Fallout do. That's why they are considered RPGs and GTA isn't. That's why Ryan actually made a fair point and you've yet to make one.

If an RPG is about taking responsibility for a character's actions within a narrative then technically speaking the majority of games we consider 'RPGs' are not. The number of 'RPG's through that narrow definition I could name on both hands.

The term has evolved with the evolution of the technology. Its a combination of different factors. Mass Effect is a TPS RPG. Borderlands is an FPS RPG. Skyrim is a Third-Person hack and slash RPG. Final Fantasy is a traditional RPG. Shining Force is a tactical RPG. We just use RPG/Action RPG/Strategy RPG as a catch all term so we don't have to make a myriad of different categories for the same thing.

Does the game have a focus on story-driven gameplay?
    Does the game give you some kind of experience system and leveling up your character?

If the game has those two criteria then it is an RPG.

L
    asombra Files Interviews and Top Trophy Tournament Commentary from Skip and Max linked in the banner.
    Checkout the Facebook page or follow me on Twitter @LasombraFiles
    My novels can be found here: The Lasombra Files: Choice and Consequence and
    Til Death Do Us Part
    Big thanks to the site for giving me my start as a writer!

The One and Only

Quote Originally Posted by Lasombra View Post
    Does the game give you some kind of experience system and leveling up your character?
    Looks like Need for Speed: The Run is an RPG, because it has those two components.

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig, Avy, and Bar Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist getting revived soon!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop, currently open!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

Lvl 5 - Silver

If an RPG is about taking responsibility for a character's actions within a narrative then technically speaking the majority of games we consider 'RPGs' are not. The number of 'RPG's through that narrow definition I could name on both hands.

The term has evolved with the evolution of the technology. Its a combination of different factors. Mass Effect is a TPS RPG. Borderlands is an FPS RPG. Skyrim is a Third-Person hack and slash RPG. Final Fantasy is a traditional RPG. Shining Force is a tactical RPG. We just use RPG/Action RPG/Strategy RPG as a catch all term so we don't have to make a myriad of different categories for the same thing.

Nah, I'm kidding. But seriously, your post and what defines an RPG makes no sense.

Legend...Nuff Said

Nah, I'm kidding. But seriously, your post and what defines an RPG makes no sense.
    How does it not make sense so I know how to respond to it.

L
    asombra Files Interviews and Top Trophy Tournament Commentary from Skip and Max linked in the banner.
    Til Death Do Us Part

Lvl 5 - Silver

How does it not make sense so I know how to respond to it.
    Your definitions of an RPG. The only explanation is in it's name, a Role Playing Game. You play the role of a character. The game doesn't have to be story driven (although most RPGs are), the game doesn't have to have leveling or anything. You play the role of a character.

Get bent...

Your definitions of an RPG. The only explanation is in it's name, a Role Playing Game. You play the role of a character. The game doesn't have to be story driven (although most RPGs are), the game doesn't have to have leveling or anything. You play the role of a character.
    I actually have to agree with you here.....for once.

Legend...Nuff Said

If thats your definition than I would argue that ANY and ALL games can be called an RPG. That was not my definition at all. Mine was 2 set rules (that came off the top of my head because I type this between classes at work) that have defined the genre for decades. Its why Legend of Zelda is not an RPG, despite the character getting stronger.

L
    Til Death Do Us Part

Lvl 9 - Gold

When you play a real RPG, you can try and make valid points about what a RPG really is. Until then, you're 1st/3PS shooters are nothing more than that. A F/3PS with a few RPG elements. Not a "W"RPG or a RPG. The same as FO3, New Vegas, ME, Deus Ex, Borderlands, Two Worlds 2, and many more are. Can't say the same about Elder Scrolls as I haven't played it yet. But seeing as it plays like all the others, it's a safe bet I can throw it in that crowd until shown otherwise.

And Mario, Zelda, Cod all have narratives, just like majority of the RPG's. Unless you play MMO's like Lineage 1-2 or a game like WKC where theres a story but the choices you make for your character and quests are endless. Your always going to be restricted to how long the game lasts and limited the story is.

I didn't agree with your previous comments, but your saying exactly what I've been saying. And I wouldn't have a problem if they identify the game correctly, but they don't.

Again, going by that definition, 95% of the games on the market will be classified as an RPG if that's the case. What else do you have? Because that alone won't constitute just any game to be an RPG. What about stats, character creations, battle mechanics, and etc?
    Last edited by Minarum; 03-15-2012 at 06:05 AM.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

I think the term is "shills". This is why I don't trust game reviews at all.

As to the rpg discussion, we used to call things like zelda a "hero quest" to differentiate from what we knew as an rpg (FF1, dragonwarrior). What I think of as an rpg these days is more described as strategy rpg or turn based rpg. People have adopted the term rpg to include so much else that it ceases to have a clear meaning.

Legend...Nuff Said

Quote Originally Posted by DarthPhysicist View Post
    I think the term is "shills". This is why I don't trust game reviews at all.

As to the rpg discussion, we used to call things like zelda a "hero quest" to differentiate from what we knew as an rpg (FF1, dragonwarrior). What I think of as an rpg these days is more described as strategy rpg or turn based rpg. People have adopted the term rpg to include so much else that it ceases to have a clear meaning.
    When was it ever called a hero quest? It always used to be called an 'adventure' genre in the mags I read as a kid.

L
    Til Death Do Us Part

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast