Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Paid Reviews: Critics or Conmen?

This is a discussion on Paid Reviews: Critics or Conmen? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Rather than quote people and reply or re-post my point for another thread, the critical differentiation for me between what ...

PRO Member

Rather than quote people and reply or re-post my point for another thread, the critical differentiation for me between what is and is not an RPG is looking at the terms used and the intention they convey.

The critical elements of what is an RPG is that:

1) You, the gamer, adopt a role through which you take on a persona of a character or characters for the purposes of creating a story.

The story can be loosely defined, doesn't need to be a narrative, but its critical that there exist something which defines the character whose role you are taking on as a character rather than a vessel. This is what differentiates role-playing from role-controlling to me. Mario will never be an RPG because Mario is a vessel, not a character. Gordon Freeman is a vessel, not a character, etc, etc.

2) You, the gamer, determine the progression of the character you are adopting within a formal set of guidelines and rules, and these rules play directly into the combat/conflict system. Its a two way, interlinked relationship between a centralized battle system and a character progression system.

Where I probably am different than others on is the fact that I don't believe it needs to be a single role adopted, so long as the player has a clear role they are taking on through the story.

Its also not critical to me that choice be involved (many disagree with me on this point), so long as the story makes sense and handles the choices appropriately. Choice is one of those things that is always an illusion within the guise of a game, even in old school D&D your choices were limited to within the guise/rules of the game you were playing. If the outcome isn't truly open or your options truly without strict bounds than the point of having a choice is just to decide which pre-determined path you will traverse. When this is the case the point of having multiple or single paths is irrelevant to me so long as the single path fits within the confines of the role you are playing.

It is also not critical to me what rules of progression are adopted so long as the rules are clear, deterministic, and combat is built/facilitated around them. The last two are of paramount importance.

To me, it is very clear that FF13 and ME3 aren't "fringe" RPGs, they are RPGs without question in my mind. They have elements borrowed from other genres (ME3, for example, borrows alot of 3PS elements), but that doesn't violate any of my rules. A game can exist in multiple genres, that doesn't bother me.

To me, it is very clear Zelda isn't an RPG, its an adventure game because there is no true progression Zelda under-goes that is influenced by the gamer. Zelda doesn't become different because he gets the hookshot, Zelda doesn't change during the course of the title. Same can be said for CoD, Killzone, etc.

I also openly admit that my definition is relatively loose, there are alot of games out there than can satisfy these requirements. Thing is I believe that genres should be well-defined and openly-accepting. There is no need to whittle down genres to the point where they serve no purpose beyond classifying a handful of games. That's what makes a sub-genre, not a genre. The D&D-style classic RPG is a type of RPG style, not the only type of RPG. Skyrim's hack-n-slash, adventure style RPG is another style, but not the only type of RPG, etc, etc.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

Lvl 5 - Silver

Gauss is definitely on point here (like always), just because you control a character doesn't mean you play the role of him/her.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I don't know why people get so hung up on game genres as they've gotten so convoluted these days. Every game seems to be borrowing so many different elements of different kinds that it just seems silly to me.

I guess it's nice to be able to qualify a game to have an idea of what it's like, but if someone hasn't heard of Skyrim before and you tell them that it's a "First Person and Third Person Adventure Hack 'n Slash Role Playing Game", just how helpful is that really gonna be?

I mean, if you tack on massively multiplayer online to the genre, then you've got a MMOFPATPAHNSRPG (pronounced "muhmofuhpatpunsrepeg"). How many more letters do we need!?!?

Also, there is a goose or something near my backyard right now that sounds like a dying donkey.

Hey, feel free to add me (Coconutz) on PSN!

Lvl 9 - Gold

They did it with Halo 3, GTA IV and Half Life 2.
    I won´t bother with flameshield.
    Hand-bra Jeans

The exposure of the female's soft body. Whether you like it or not, being naked to the waist and the mismatch between the hard and thick jeans. The true essence is the union of girly and boyish styles.At the same time, the hand-bra forces even the current girls that lack shameful feelings to make an embarrassing pose. Depending on how it is seen, it also shows a form of eroticism by making it look like the girls are rubbing their own breasts.

Medaka Box

Lvl 5 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja-In-A-Tree View Post
    I actually have to agree with you here.....for once.
    Feels good man, I've finally achieved perfection.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Lasombra View Post
    When was it ever called a hero quest? It always used to be called an 'adventure' genre in the mags I read as a kid.
    When I was playing my old NES as a kid, I heard both references to games like Zelda. At that time, it was obvious what an rpg was and what it wasn't. Of course, the stories had to be read on the screen...

PRO Member

In a multiverses of different bodies and souls

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Here's a question for you: what makes an RPG? Don't try and play the "WRPGs aren't RPGs" card either, because even though I hate JRPGs, I'd still say they were RPGs.
    I'm not. I have plenty of WRPGs, such as Skyrim, Fallout, Dragon Age, etc, and I consider them RPGs without any doubt whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    Your Batman and Skyrim reviews, and Jacko's Dark Souls review beg to differ.
    It looks like the bait was successfully taken. I was waiting for you to say some similar bullshit like that. Well done.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456