Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Paid Reviews: Critics or Conmen?

This is a discussion on Paid Reviews: Critics or Conmen? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; This video is a really good look into the criticism involving "Paid reviews" Your thoughts on the paid reviews idea?...

INTJ

Paid Reviews: Critics or Conmen?

This video is a really good look into the criticism involving "Paid reviews"

Your thoughts on the paid reviews idea?

Legend...Nuff Said

The majority of gaming 'review' sites are shit to begin with. IGN has no integrity what so ever, not even with their reviews but with all their 'lists'. I mean, come on, it doesn't take a genius to know something is up when MGS4 gets a 10/10 for a review from them, but when they release their 'greatest PS3 games' list, its not even on it.

Gaming sites are not held to journalistic standards if any sort, and I don't even consider them journalists.

L
    asombra Files Interviews and Top Trophy Tournament Commentary from Skip and Max linked in the banner.
    Checkout the Facebook page or follow me on Twitter @LasombraFiles
    My novels can be found here: The Lasombra Files: Choice and Consequence and
    Til Death Do Us Part
    Big thanks to the site for giving me my start as a writer!

PRO Member

I have no doubt that all the marketing done by game publishers (including providing free copies of games to reviewers before launch and hype built up amongst fans) has an influence on game review scores. And it's nothing new really, just something to be weary of when deciding which game to buy.

All in all, most reviews are pretty accurate in terms of what is written in them, though the overall score for some games does seem a bit inflated at times. One thing I've noticed is that games that receive scores bellow 8.5/10 tend to drop in price pretty quickly, and often these game have quite a lot to offer making their lack of polish compared to the 9/10 a small sacrifice for better overall value.

Now playing
    EVE ONLINE
    Who needs a life anyway

Go Blue Jackets!!

all I have to say - Greg Miller from IGN has the worst taste in games and gives the worst reviews (uncharted 3 got a 10?? Really?).
    He and everyone else on the PS3 team over praise every single PS3 game... like the inFamous 2 review, inFamous 2 sucked compared to the first but yet Greg said all this fanboy non sense to it. (if you want an honest to god review of that game watch the gamestop one).

But who cares. Journalism is something anyone can do if they get paid for it or get pressured to tell a lie or two so be it its the consumers choice to buy the game not anyone else's.

Nope, nothing

Paid reviews are a load of crap and shouldn't happen, what's the point in reviewing a game if you're not actually going to give out honest information?
    It's also the same with allowing someone who loves a game/hates a game to actually review it, because the outcome will be bias, most of the time anyway.

But it's also rubbish comparing a gaming sites official review scores to that of the users choice score, a lot of people vote a game down without even playing it because they don't like the game. Perfect example of that would be any Call of Duty, or Final Fantasy XIII-2.

Lvl 9 - Gold

I usually watch video reviews of games I know I'm not buying, and I read them when I'm interested in the game. I don't get influenced by them, though. I watch a lot of gameplay and play the demo if it's available and that is what makes me get a game. Reviews help, but are not what should be taken into consideration when getting a game.
    For example, I got Sengoku Basara knowing the scores it got, because I don't care about that.

Anyway, I'm kinda drifting in here. About paid reviews...I don't know, they suck. As I said I don't get influenced by reviews anyway, so I couldn't say I notice them all the time. It does suck when a sequel gets a high score even if it's way worse than the prequel (BioShock 2, Mass Effect 2), or when the game gets a lower score than the prequel even though it improves it a lot (FFXIII-2). But it depends on many factors, the reviewer's taste, how much of the game they played (God Hand, Greg Miller, play the damn game before you review it) and other stuff, which shouldn't happen.

NO blank Friend Requests will be accepted

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Game developers shouldn't have any problem with players reviewing their game whether is a bad review or not. It's called freedom of speech but they're too worried that they'll lose sells because of those reviews. It's all about greedy people.

I really don't pay attention to reviews. I watch the trailers, read about it and play demos if they're available. If I like the game I buy it whether people give bad reviews or not.

Platinum Procrastinator

What I find funny is how he talks about people being biased in their reviews, yet in the video he shows the metacritic scores for MW3 but doesn't mention that a lot of the reason why the user scores are so low is due to people who haven't even played the game and the fanboy war giving it zero. That kinda defeats the purpose as he's only providing evidence to support his case.

As for people being biased, yes I agree its a problem to an extent, although not a very big one. There are dozens of review sites available, not to mention magazines and other ways to learn about games. If you base your opinions of a game you've yet to play and are disappointed because of what one site has said, then really its your own fault. Do some research by reading multiple sites and look for some game play footage online. That way, you'll have a much better idea of what the game is actually like and well decrease the chance of buying something you dislike.
    Like TV shows, join the Small Screen Gossip group!

Lvl 4 - Silver

When most everything scores a 7 or 8 its bad.

When certain sites/mags have a clear console affilitation, its bad. (See: Nintendo Power giving Mario RPG RPG of the year over Chrono Trigger in 1995. Total crap.)

When games get almost automatic 10's based on name alone like Uncharted, Halo, Mario or Zelda it's bad.

When the reviewer sounds like a complete tool in the review, it's bad.

Just open a GameFly account and review the games while playing them. Some people love games you hate and hate games you love. The only irrefutable truth given by paid reviewers is when a game is SO awful no one can possibly ignore it, and the occasional sleeper hit that catches everyone off-guard like Dead Space or Heavy Rain (generally speaking)
    Turn it off! Turn it off! Turn it off! Turn it off! TURN IT OFF!

Lvl 5 - Silver

interesting video. Hate paid journalism!
    PERFECT PLATINUM STREAK

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by LAWLZilla View Post
    all I have to say - Greg Miller from IGN has the worst taste in games and gives the worst reviews (uncharted 3 got a 10?? Really?).
    He and everyone else on the PS3 team over praise every single PS3 game... like the inFamous 2 review, inFamous 2 sucked compared to the first but yet Greg said all this fanboy non sense to it. (if you want an honest to god review of that game watch the gamestop one).
    That's just your opinion, I love the 2nd one a million times more.

One
    Lvl 6 - Silver

Reviews, reviews have changed.

"Oh, so you think that the darkness is your ally? You merely adopted it, I was born in it."

Lvl 8 - Gold

Don't care about reviews. If I think I'll like the game I get it.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I don't understand what the message of this video is.

Is it trying to suggest that journalists are actually being paid for positive reviews? Or is it that scores are simply being influenced through the enticing or defensive actions of the publisher? Are gamers to be blamed because of their hostile reactions to certain reviews? Is it suggesting that the current members of the gaming media are unqualified to review games because of their inherent bias? Should web sites not feature advertisements for games that are being reviewed? Journalists can't properly judge a game because they didn't pay for it? Is it something else or all of the above?

Beats me. The system isn't perfect: publishers, gamers, and journalists can all be blamed for one form of controversy or another. But the majority of claims this video makes comes across as baseless conspiracy-theorist sensationalism to me.

You know what the "problem" really is? Opinions. OPINIONS. OPINIONS. Yours isn't the same as mine. His isn't the same as hers. Theirs isn't the same as ours. Everyone has their own opinions and we are all biased in one way or another.

And until we can all acknowledge that, there will not be one major review in the history of the internet that will please everybody.

Hey, feel free to add me (Coconutz) on PSN!

INTJ

to be honest i prefered the second one over the first one

the story is a bit better.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lasombra View Post
    The majority of gaming 'review' sites are shit to begin with. IGN has no integrity what so ever, not even with their reviews but with all their 'lists'. I mean, come on, it doesn't take a genius to know something is up when MGS4 gets a 10/10 for a review from them, but when they release their 'greatest PS3 games' list, its not even on it.

Gaming sites are not held to journalistic standards if any sort, and I don't even consider them journalists.
    Actually the Playstation team on IGN makes the "greatest games list" an the guy who gave MGS4 a 10/10 is not at IGN anymore. You cannot expect every person at IGN o have the same opinion.

I do not believe in paid reviews. I feel that is just an excuse people give themselves when their game does not get 10's across the board.

Sig by Bladia

Kiwi Defender

Well, you shouldn't just mention the PS3 team. Practically every single IGN reviewer sucks and is moron. Just look at the ratings they've given to games like Skyrim, Skyward Sword, Infinity Blade, Halo 3, GoldenEye 007, Super Mario Galaxy, Twisted Metal: Black, Ratchet & Clank, and so on and so forth.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    Well, you shouldn't just mention the PS3 team. Practically every single IGN reviewer sucks and is moron. Just look at the ratings they've given to games like Skyrim, Skyward Sword, Infinity Blade, Halo 3, GoldenEye 007, Super Mario Galaxy, Twisted Metal: Black, Ratchet & Clank, and so on and so forth.
    It is just someone's opinion. If they like a game a lot and you don't, that does not mean that they are not aloud to give it a high score based on their opinion.

Sig by Bladia

Change is mediocre

If they are worried they will lose sales due to bad reviews, then they should have made a better game.

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

I hate it more when a mag/site rips into a clearly great game for the sake of controversy.

One mag i remember marked Metal Gear Solid 2 down to a 6/10 just because they didn't get it. Not long after that they shat on Timesplitters 2 because it ''wasn't as good as Goldeneye'' but gave Turok a 9 ( not the original one ).

When i once considered buying an Xbox 360 ( but didn't, for many reasons) i purchased a magazine to read up on the games i could get, on a couple of occasions they reviewed cross platform titles and the reviews consisted of a theme,
    'Hur Hur, this is rubbish cos it's also on Playstation but it looks a million times better here! Hur Hur!Playstation Sux!'

That's a magazine......that got published........ and still exsists. (360World or something)

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast