Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Publishers Turn down Old-school tactical shooter Game because "Console gamers are too dumb"

This is a discussion on Publishers Turn down Old-school tactical shooter Game because "Console gamers are too dumb" within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Christian Allen Wants Your Money To Make A Great, Old-School Shooter That Publishers Don't Think You Want Christian Allen has ...

INTJ

Publishers Turn down Old-school tactical shooter Game because "Console gamers are too dumb"

Christian Allen Wants Your Money To Make A Great, Old-School Shooter That Publishers Don't Think You Want

Christian Allen has a video game Kickstarter, too. And he hopes he isn't doing it wrong.

Tim Schafer did it right. That guy just raised a few million for an old-school adventure game on Kickstarter. But Christian Allen knows he is no Tim Schafer, no big-name game developer with legions of fans who love him.

Brian Fargo has made half a million dollars in a day, but Brian Fargo is talking about bringing back a classic called Wasteland and making a sequel to it.

Christian Allen isn't doing that either.

He is for real. He's made games you probably have played. Seriously. Christian isn't some lotto winner who has never made a game before.

And the game he wants to make—the game he hopes you'll kick in some money for—is the real deal.

Allen wants to make a shooter. An old-school tactical shooter (first person or third) like he used to develop at Red Storm. A game like the old Rainbow Six or Ghost Recon. (Here's his Kickstarter entry for it: Crowdsourced Hardcore Tactical Shooter.)

This is what it would feel like to play his game, as he described it to me in San Francisco last week:

"The biggest thing is tension. You've been given a scenario. It's non-linear. You've made decisions on where to go, where to place your guys, getting ready to go in. You don't know what's in there. A real [hostage rescue] team doesn't always know where everything is. There's only a few enemies, but you don't know where they are. If they get the drop on you, they're going to kill you. There is an element of reflex to it, but a lot of it is just proper planning and observation and figuring out your situation. But even if you do everything right, it doesn't mean you are going to succeed. "

And what happened when he pitched his tactical shooter to publishers? Mind you, he was one of the top designers on Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter and Halo Reach.

The pitch hasn't gone so well. "It's like pitching a flight sim," Allen says. And the publishers rattle off the excuses: "'It's a super-vocal audience.' 'They don't buy a lot of games.' 'They buy one game a year.' 'Console gamers are too impatient; they won't play this kind of game.' Console gamers literally are too dumb to play this kind of game.'

Wait… did you catch that one?

""Console gamers literally are too dumb to play this kind of game.'"

Really?

Really, Allen said. "I won't say which publisher, but, yes, literally, 'console gamers are not as smart as PC gamers.' The logic is that, well PC gamers can install drivers and video cards. Console gamers are just 15-year-olds who sit in front of their couch and press a button."

TL;DR Guy who has worked on games like Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter and halo reach wants to make a Classic Tactical game like Rainbow Six or Ghost Recon. He Pitches it to publishers and they tell him that console gamers are dumb and are not able to be intelligent enough to play such things.

so his response is to make a kickstarter.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...r?ref=category

prove the publishers wrong and get dis game.

Last edited by Ps360; 03-26-2012 at 06:26 PM.

PRO Member

Well if an "old School" point and click game can raise $3,336,250 from people who apparently don't want to play point and click adventure games then I don't see why this can't have the same amount of interest.

INTJ

I miss games like swat 4

Lvl 4 - Silver

Love the TL;DR section

Lvl 5 - Silver

That sounds about right. As much as I hate it, most console gamers would just want to play their narrow-minded FPSes (trust me, I have many friends like that), and would complain if a game involved strategy. I'm sure there are console gamers that would pay for this (many members of this site included), but they'd be better off releasing on PC to minimize risks.

That being said, if a real tactical shooter had a good advertising campaign, it could re-revolutionize the FPS genre on consoles, which is definitely something we need.

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    That sounds about right. As much as I hate it, most console gamers would just want to play their narrow-minded FPSes (trust me, I have many friends like that), and would complain if a game involved strategy. I'm sure there are console gamers that would pay for this (many members of this site included), but they'd be better off releasing on PC to minimize risks.

That being said, if a real tactical shooter had a good advertising campaign, it could re-revolutionize the FPS genre on consoles, which is definitely something we need.

but it has no kill streeks like caw of dudy

Lvl 8 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    I miss games like swat 4
    I've been playing unit 13 past few days and all the time I'm thinking "It'd be nice if I could choose my own insertion..."

I miss that from the first Rainbow Six game...

O_o

I hope it does go through. I loved Ghost Recon for PS2, and others like it. Bring'a dem back.

I miss games like swat 4
    Ever see Spoony's playthrough? Pretty humorous.

Lvl 9 - Gold

SWAT, Ghost Recon, Rainbow Six, I miss those games.

NO blank Friend Requests will be accepted

Lvl 6 - Silver

Rainbow six was one of the best games I ever played on PC... I don't really remember it but I was only 12 lol...where has the time gone?? I just looked at the wiki and it brought back some memories.. It was cool how you could pick your team/guns/camo and plan the mission

I do believe people are getting dumb with these modern 1st person shooters though... And yea they have slight differnces but the ones ive played are all the same...

I haven't played a new tom clancy game since rainbow six probably lol so I should check out Advanced Warfighter and stuff... But the pitch sounds amazing and if I had the money I'd back it or when I get some... I'm hoping this gets made! And it's mostly an offline game

I've never heard of kickstarter before thanks for that lol

and yea how'd double fine adventure raise 3 mil. and this isn't close to reaching goal... wtf people....
    Last edited by CheapJuggler; 03-14-2012 at 05:30 PM.

PRO Member

With enough momentum it can be done as I said above the Kickstarter for a Point and Click game finished with just over $3.3mil their budget when it was first started was $400k, they went $2.9mil over budget for a game "no body wants to play these days".

It's time to bring back what made this genre great, cut out this kill streak, K/D ratio bollocks, multipler 12 y/o cusing "yo momma" crap that we've put up with for years. We shall be the dawn of the comebacks, we shall be the revolution, we will make games great once more!!!!

Or the CoD kids will spoil it and everyone goes home unhappy.

Peace out!

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I understand why he's not saying which publisher said that, but all the same, I wish he did. Then I could know who thinks my money somehow ain't smart enough for their bank account and act accordingly.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I wish there was a new (proper) socom game, but this may be the next best thing. There needs to be a big game in a different type of shooter to the cods of this world to make developers and publishers alike to realise there mindset is wrong

The One and Only

I hate it when people do that.

I play console games and I don't play PC games. Does that automatically mean all PC games are smarter than me? I don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Allen
    ""Console gamers literally are too dumb to play this kind of game.'"
    I hope you enjoy console gamers trolling the shit out of you. :stare:
    Last edited by DaRe_xLw; 03-14-2012 at 09:01 PM. Reason: I'm actually smart enough to detect my own typos. :|

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig, Avy, and Bar Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist getting revived soon!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop, currently open!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

That's a tragic waste of talent, i loved the blue nylon suit out of SWAT 4 and early Rainbow Six, I may not be the smartest person here but when you see publisher's have said things like that, it truly paints a gloomy picture for the future, probably one with fire and rivers of weewee.

Lvl 5 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by DaRe_xLw View Post
    I hate it when people do that.

I play console games and I don't play PC games. Does that automatically mean all PC games are smarter than me? I don't think so.

I hope you enjoy console gamers trolling the shit out of you. :stare:
    That word does not mean what you think it means. Also, I play both console and PC games, and I think the statement has credibility, but is still dumb as shit.

Lvl 7 - Gold

The publishers aren't wrong, they just chose the non-PC way to put it. If you look at what games are topping the charts these days I can understand why they'd be hesitant to invest in a project that doesn't have much of a chance of being super profitable. Asking the people who you know are going to support you (aka: fans who recognize your name and want you to succeed) to put their money where their mouth is is a great idea. Let them (the fans) take pride in knowing that they directly helped the creation of your game, hope it gets noticed and use your newly established "main stream" popularity to get funding from a big publisher on your next project. Bravo.

Lvl 7 - Gold

They're right; the majority of gamers are dumb. Look at the Call of Duty crowd. It's overrun with people that prove that correct.

MY PLATINUM CARD ONLY ANIMATES IF YOU'RE USING FIREFOX, AS IT'S AN ANIMATED PNG FILE

The One and Only

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    That word does not mean what you think it means. Also, I play both console and PC games, and I think the statement has credibility, but is still dumb as shit.
    Believe me, I know what trolling means. I do it every once in a while to make people mad on purpose.

I agree with you. The statement has some credibility sure, but it doesn't mean the statement is 100% true, thus making that generalization not only offensive, but like you said, dumb as shit. I'm perfectly fine with him making it a PC-only game and respect whatever reason he has, but some things just shouldn't be said, or typed in public for millions to hear/read and get offended to.

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig, Avy, and Bar Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist getting revived soon!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop, currently open!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

An old-fashioned cowboy

They don't buy a lot of games. They buy one game a year.
    Are they talking about console gamers or just people who only buy COD each Fall and play it till next years COD is released. I wonder.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast