JEFF GERSTMANN CANNOT ESCAPE: Giant Bomb bought, To be Moved into Gamespot

This is a discussion on JEFF GERSTMANN CANNOT ESCAPE: Giant Bomb bought, To be Moved into Gamespot within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Confirmed: Giant Bomb bought by CBS Interactive | VG247 GameSpot parent CBS Interactive has bought popular US site Giant Bomb, ...

INTJ

JEFF GERSTMANN CANNOT ESCAPE: Giant Bomb bought, To be Moved into Gamespot

Confirmed: Giant Bomb bought by CBS Interactive | VG247

GameSpot parent CBS Interactive has bought popular US site Giant Bomb, its been announced.

An AllThingsD piece first broke the news, but a Giant Bomb livestream has confirmed it.

The site will move into the GameSpot offices.

The sale comes as part of a wider deal that sees GB’s parent company Whiskey Media bought by BermanBraun. Most of Whiskey’s sites will remain with Berman, while GiantBomb and Comic Vine will be sold to CBS.

Giant Bomb was co-founded by ex-GameSpot alumni Jeff Gerstmann and Ryan Davis after the former was infamously and controversially fired from the site after his review of Kane and Lynch: Dead Men.

Gerstmann has said in the stream he will explain lwhy he was fired from the site in 2007 alongside current GameSpot boss John Davison in a livestream at 4pm PST (11pm GMT) today that’ll be hosted on both Giant Bomb and GameSpot.

Rip Giant bomb

lets play it out with one of their golden moments

Last edited by Ps360; 03-15-2012 at 07:01 PM.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I wouldn't write Giant Bomb off just yet, I still have faith in those guys and I doubt they would let such an acquisition happen if it didn't benefit their site. The fact that they made this announcement during a video of them eating pancakes should be comforting. Giant Bomb will still be Giant Bomb, along with all their usual internet wackiness. I'm also really looking forward to hearing the details about Gerstmann's termination.

Meanwhile, 1UP.com just got hit with more layoffs and remains the slowest, saddest sinking ship in games media history.

Hey, feel free to add me (Coconutz) on PSN!

INTJ

Jeff "Left" gamespot

CBS bought them and moved him back into the same building

Lvl 3 - Bronze

It's weird that he's back in the same building, but it seems like they cleared the air.

Giant Bomb to remain editorially independent of Gamespot | VG247

Nevertheless, business continued as usual until November when Gerstmann was suddenly fired.
    “They felt they couldn’t trust me in the role,” he said.

“We did what an editorial team does. We were completely honest. There wasn’t anything shady happening inside of Gamespot editorial.

“This management team buckled when faced with seeing a lot of advertising dollars walk out the door. Just a few simple mistakes from people who didn’t have a clear picture of what we did for them.”
    It turned out that Gamespot's old management (which was new at the time) didn't really have a clue about game reviews so they had a knee-jerk reaction and fired Jeff.

John Davison is the VP at Gamespot and he's a cool dude so I think the people now running things over there have a good understanding of what makes Giant Bomb so great.

I like to remain optimistic. GB's my favorite gaming site.

Hey, feel free to add me (Coconutz) on PSN!