Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Jeff Gerstmann 100% confirms his review is the reason why he was fired.

This is a discussion on Jeff Gerstmann 100% confirms his review is the reason why he was fired. within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Jeff Gerstmann was indeed fired from Gamespot because of a poor score | Middle East Gamers He “couldn’t be trusted” ...

INTJ

Jeff Gerstmann 100% confirms his review is the reason why he was fired.

Jeff Gerstmann was indeed fired from Gamespot because of a poor score | Middle East Gamers

He “couldn’t be trusted” as editorial director.

Jeff Gerstmann, a former editor of Gamespot, today revealed the circumstances behind his termination from the gaming website five years ago. It was rumored at that time that his departure was the result of his negative review of Kane & Lynch, with the game’s publisher twisting the company’s arm tight enough to ensure that Gerstmann never wrote for the website ever again.

Today, Gerstmann confirmed that was indeed why he was fired from the his editorial position.

The disclosure comes as part of a recent deal that has seen Gerstmann’s Giant Bomb purchased by CBS Interactive, the parent company of his former employer, Gamespot. In a slightly tense and awkward interview with Gamespot’s John Davison, Gerstmann detailed the infamous incident.

He said that he was “called into a room” by the CBS management and was “terminated” because he “couldn’t be trusted” as the editorial director due to his poor review of Eidos’ third-person shooter.

Gerstmann also shared other such instances where his team at Gamespot was pressurized into producing a favorable review. He gave an example of how Sony threatened to pull advertisement money from the website if its action-platformer Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction received anything other than a near perfect score. Gamespot eventually gave it a 7.5.

PAID REVIEWS

Lvl 8 - Gold

This just confirms what every one has been guessing at.

I mean it was hard to believe other wise. I bet CBS and Gamespot aren't the only journalist companies to bend to pressure from publishers either. I don't know why people put so much faith in to a review...

One
    Lvl 6 - Silver

I remember the incident like it was yesterday, of course five years ago I was way less knowledgeable about the matter and didn't understand what the fuck was going on, but still, the truth hurts.

This just confirmed what we already knew, but the real question is: Was I the only one who enjoyed Kane and Lynch: Dead Men?

"Oh, so you think that the darkness is your ally? You merely adopted it, I was born in it."

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by One View Post
    Was I the only one who enjoyed Kane and Lynch: Dead Men?
    the answer is yes

Lvl 9 - Gold

I guess this is pretty heavy, but I never buy games based only on mainstream review sites anyway. Still, it shouldn't happen.

NO blank Friend Requests will be accepted

The One and Only

Someone getting fired for a review? Lulwut?

I wonder if the game deserved a low score anyway

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig, Avy, and Bar Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist getting revived soon!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop, currently open!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

Kiwi Defender

Well, this confirms what we all have been suspecting for 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by DaRe_xLw View Post
    Someone getting fired for a review? Lulwut?

I wonder if the game deserved a low score anyway
    I don't think it was that bad, but I did find it to be pretty average.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Change is mediocre

If Kane and Lynch was that bad then why was a sequel even made (which is one of the worst games I have played, glad I got it free)?

But yeah, losing a job for honestly reviewing a game is bullshit.

Korean Girl Group Groupie

Anybody who didn't think this was happening, was turning a blind eye to the truth.

Welcome to the reality, of when the main revenue stream for your review platforms are the companies you are reviewing yourself. A conflict of journalistic integrity is in question when almost all of your paycheck is coming from the people you are critiquing.

So although these may be "professional" reviewers, realize that often times the results of these pieces, is something that is about as contrived as a professional wrestling outcome.

Video games exist for two major reasons - entertainment and making money. It's time a lot of people started to realize that these review sites are for the same two purposes, and everything else is secondary after those factors.

Need help? Just ask (blank friend requests will always be ignored)

Lvl 6 - Silver

If you read the story -- or what passes for a "news article" as presented in the link -- you're getting the side of the guy who was fired and nothing more. I see nothing in there that indicates there was any query to GameSpot to corroborate facts or offer their own side of the story. This isn't "news", this is a guy with an axe to grind and a forum on which to give his own opinion. He's welcome to it. He may even be right.... but perhaps we ought to withhold judgment until we have all the facts? Shouldn't the guy have to produce some tangible evidence before we go running off to declare him wronged by his previous employer and vindicated by his "revelations"? Shouldn't GameSpot be entitled to reveal facts of their own?

If this were a court of law, Gerstman and this "article" don't even provide enough to secure an indictment from a grand jury.... let alone some declarative statement of guilt.
    (this space intentionally left blank)

Lvl 7 - Gold

I'd fire a guy if he angered my paying clients as well. It's just good business.

MY PLATINUM CARD ONLY ANIMATES IF YOU'RE USING FIREFOX, AS IT'S AN ANIMATED PNG FILE

Lvl 4 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalick View Post
    I'd fire a guy if he angered my paying clients as well. It's just good business.
    Who pays for a website exactly?
    Turn it off! Turn it off! Turn it off! Turn it off! TURN IT OFF!

Check Those Corners

Thats the bastard doing it all! I don't think he was the only one involved in this.. his team was probably in on it too.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

As someone who actually watched the interview, I can confirm this article is very poorly written.

It makes absurd assumptions and uses ridiculously short quotes out of context. The video was NOT "tense" or "awkward" at all: both guys were very candid about the situation and Jeff's usual sense of humor and personality were in full effect there. This "news" is about as reliable as a cheap supermarket tabloid. For a website Middle East Gamers has never been more than bait for hits from N4G.com.

Sure, at the absolute least, you could say his termination was due to events related to the Kane and Lynch review, but there is so much more to the story. His firing had far more to do with the awful management at Gamespot: people who had no clue how an editorial team functioned.

See for yourself: And Now... The Rest Of The Story - Giant Bomb

Please do some research (and some thinking) before you jump to conclusions and put on tin foil hats.

Hey, feel free to add me (Coconutz) on PSN!

Legend...Nuff Said

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicant81 View Post
    Anybody who didn't think this was happening, was turning a blind eye to the truth.

Welcome to the reality, of when the main revenue stream for your review platforms are the companies you are reviewing yourself. A conflict of journalistic integrity is in question when almost all of your paycheck is coming from the people you are critiquing.

So although these may be "professional" reviewers, realize that often times the results of these pieces, is something that is about as contrived as a professional wrestling outcome.

Video games exist for two major reasons - entertainment and making money. It's time a lot of people started to realize that these review sites are for the same two purposes, and everything else is secondary after those factors.
    They are not journalists, thats part of the problem. Can't expect journalistic integrity from people with no standards and no ethics.
    Just because they write for a website doesn't make a person a journalist. If writing for a website for pay makes a person a journalist, then damn, I was a professional journalist when I wrote for Wizards of the Coast.

L
    asombra Files Interviews and Top Trophy Tournament Commentary from Skip and Max linked in the banner.
    Checkout the Facebook page or follow me on Twitter @LasombraFiles
    My novels can be found here: The Lasombra Files: Choice and Consequence and
    Til Death Do Us Part
    Big thanks to the site for giving me my start as a writer!

Chuck Norris Approved.

Sorry but this is another no shit thread with a dash anti Sony horseshit sprinkled on top. Same can be said about radio stations playing the same shit over and over again, same thing can be said with Microsoft paying so when a dual platform game is in a ad tv or print they use the Xbox cover art. Any and the majority of companies pay for better reviews and what not, car reviews, cell phones and so on. This is nothing new and too the ones getting pissy over this get over it, simple fact of life. For example I've seen kingdoms of amular get anywhere from a 9/10 to a 2 out of 5 from Xplay on the g4 channel, same goes for asuras wraith mixed reviews. Point is make your own choices and don't follow the masses and fall pray to the media hype.

Avy, Chambers35 Sig, dsluckay

PRO-M Thanks 2 NeroRadec!

We as gamers have nothing, were just walked over now a days with these paid lying reviews, first day DLC, online passes & all that crap. It's gettin old fast & soon the industry will suffer for this.

Signature by DaRe_xLw

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Wargazsem View Post
    Sorry but this is another no shit thread with a dash anti Sony horseshit sprinkled on top.
    uh, how is this anti-sony in any way.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

People need to calm down and understand one main point...Game reviews are opinions of gamers, just like all of us. If you open a review and only look at the score, you are a moron. You need to read why this gamer chose his score and decide if the Good vs. Bad correlates to how you would rate the game. There are plenty of games many of you would give 1-2/10 and I would give a 7-8. It is all opinionated! Some people won't even touch a game if it scores under an 8, which is sad. I love games and I play almost all of em. They all give me different levels of satisfaction. A game review score should only be used as a starting point, you need to consider all scores given across different medias and try some demos. Has there ever been a time that there was this one game you loved but no one else ever heard of, those of which you might consider hidden gems? Do you ever wonder wonder if you would have loved the game as much as you did if you saw the review score first? OPINIONS PEOPLE! That's all they are.

Lvl 7 - Gold

This is just not done!!! Come on everybody knows that most reviewers get paid to write down a decent review for a game....
    Everybody has his own opinion off a certain game. In the end what you think yourself is what counts.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast