Hard-drive switch and the possibility of losing data

This is a discussion on Hard-drive switch and the possibility of losing data within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Hello all. I have a dilemma that I'm hoping someone can help me out with. Last year, I purchased a ...

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Hard-drive switch and the possibility of losing data

Hello all. I have a dilemma that I'm hoping someone can help me out with.
    Last year, I purchased a hard-drive upgrade for my PS3 (80 to 360GB). Now, my question isn't going to be about a problem I have with the current one, just a problem I fear I might have if I do something.

I have a friend that I play Rock Band 3 with, and we recently traded info so we could game-share songs. Her info worked fine and there wasn't the issue of too many systems already being activated on that account. However, I had already reached the maximum amount of people and I've been trying to figure out ways to get my account freed up of the access systems so she can get the songs that I have. I've talked to 3 of my friends to get them to deactivate my account on their system. Two of them claim that they have, and the other one traded his old PS3 in a while back and he had apparently wiped the hard-drive. Now after all this, it's still telling her there are too many systems on my account. So I don't know what's up with that. I recently had an idea. I remembered that I had switched hard-drives last year and that my account was probably still activated on the old hard-drive and I told her I would swap out my hard-drives to deactivate this weekend.
    Now my first question is, is that going to even help the issue? Is the "system" and hard-drive the same thing when it comes to account activation or is there something else within the console where that's kept? Basically...when you see: "The maximum amount of systems has been reached" does that translate to "This account has been logged onto from the maximum number of hard-drives"?

Now, the second part of this has to do with my current hard-drive. I loosely remember in the past that I went back to my old hard-drive for something (an album or something like that) and when I put the old one in the system, it told me I had to reformat it, which obviously erases everything. I said "screw that" and put my new one back in immediately, and I remember it told me the same thing. So I'm asking if anyone knows if I'll lose everything on my 80GB hard-drive by putting it back in the system even though it's the original and already formatted for PS3 use. I'm also asking if the same thing will happen to my 360GB. If I take it out, get back on the 80, take that one out and put the 360 back in, will I have to reformat and lose everything?

I just want to know what I'm getting into before I go on a whim and say "oh this will work...". I'd rather not lose everything I have on this hard drive or the original.
    I know this was probably really confusing and I'm sorry. Any insight will be tremendously appreciated.
    "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" -Epicurus.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lvl 4 - Silver

Im pretty sure once it formats one hard drive it sets its self to that one hard drive. So example: It formats the 80, it says, "Okay this is my hard drive" and it wipes it clean. And then when you go to put the 360 back in it says the same thing and wipes the 360 clean. Personally, I would buy an external hard drive to save your saves on or if you have Plus use the cloud before attempting anything of this sort. Short answer dont do it if you want to keep your saves.

Visit My Art Page: http://artithan-artpage.blogspot.ca/ You Won't Regret It.

'But I dont want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
    'Oh, you can't help that.' said the Cat: 'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad.'
    'How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
    'You must be,' said the Cat, 'Or you wouldn't have come here.'
    -Lewis Carroll 'Alice's Adventures in Wonderland'

Lvl 5 - Silver

For the first part is no. No matter if you put in 20 hard drives it won't affect the number of registrations. Its something that is on your ps3. The only way she can game share with you is if you deactivate your ps3 because all those 5 other accounts are on your console. The only bad thing is you'll only be able to register two devises now, instead of 5.

For the second part, reformatting your first hard drive will be the same thing when you switched hdd. Your system has to register on a single hdd, you can't just be switching it back and forth to your liking. Well you could but your ps3 will have to reformat each hdd each time it does.

what you should do is get an external drive and just back up all your saves and transfer them to one system. Of course if it's copyright protected it won't let you unless you have ps+ then you could just save it to the cloud.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Alright, thanks guys. I'm not too worried about the saves because I've been able to fit all of the save files on an 8GB flash drive before. I just wasn't sure if I'd lose all the DLC I have installed, but you guys answered that as well.
    So just to clarify, switching back to deactivate my account is just a waste of time. Correct?
    "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" -Epicurus.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lvl 5 - Silver

yes, there is really no need to switch back. All it will do is reformat the hdd and that's it.

Check Those Corners

Heres the guide I used when I replaced mine. Wish you luck and tell me how it all works out!
    Last edited by CallmeN00B; 03-17-2012 at 10:34 PM. Reason: mistake

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by CallmeNasty View Post
    Heres the guide I used when I replaced mine. Wish you luck and tell me how it all works out!
    You misunderstand what I posted here for. My issue isn't with changing the hard-drive. I know how to do that. My dilemma was going back to my old hard-drive so I could deactivate my account from it, but everyone else here cleared up that issue and let me know that it won't change a thing and would be a waste of time.
    I thank you for your attempt at helping me, though.