Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

PS3 fan problem?

This is a discussion on PS3 fan problem? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; So my PS3's fan is starting to sound like a jet. It's been a month or so. Before, it didn't ...

Lvl 9 - Gold

PS3 fan problem?

So my PS3's fan is starting to sound like a jet. It's been a month or so. Before, it didn't even make noise but now it's to the point where I have to turn up the game in order to hear it. Do you guys know what the problem might be?
    Platbar by Wadefan1

Gaming since PONG !

sounds like the fan to me

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by revbob666 View Post
    sounds like the fan to me
    ...do you know a solution to the problem?
    Platbar by Wadefan1

Negator

The problem isn't the fan.

The problem is the console is over-heating to the point where the fan is having to kick into 'overdrive' in an attempt to keep the internal components cooled. If your PS3 is under warranty, send it to Sony immediately for a free repair/replacement.

This is the first sign of an impending YLoD and it deserves your utmost attention.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Helyx View Post
    The problem isn't the fan.

The problem is the console is over-heating to the point where the fan is having to kick into 'overdrive' in an attempt to keep the internal components cooled. If your PS3 is under warranty, send it to Sony immediately for a free repair/replacement.

This is the first sign of an impending YLoD and it deserves your utmost attention.
    I do have it under warranty, luckily. I have it in an open space and it's a 250GB slim model. I wonder why it would over heat though. Now you got me scared.
    Platbar by Wadefan1

Negator

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    I do have it under warranty, luckily. I have it in an open space and it's a 250GB slim model. I wonder why it would over heat though. Now you got me scared.
    I had to arrange 2 additional fans around my 250Gb Slim this week. Spring is here and the temperature (and humidity) will continue to rise as we go towards summer and eventually autumn.

Anyone who's not keeping their consoles in a well ventilated area at a controlled cool temperature (65 F) will eventually experience similar problems. I have my PS3 elevated so air can flow beneath the console (about a 3 inch clearance) and help remove excess heat that would otherwise build up if it was sitting flat on a surface.

Contact Sony and get a RMA to return the PS3 as soon as you can. If you have a 'back up' PS3, transfer your data so you wont have to worry about any data loss during the repair(s). At the very least, copy all your non-save protected files to a USB thumbdrive or use "Cloud" feature of PS+.

Is there any additional information you could give us about when your fan started getting loud? What game(s) you were playing, etc.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

Game on....

Quote Originally Posted by Helyx View Post
    I have my PS3 elevated so air can flow beneath the console (about a 3 inch clearance) and help remove excess heat that would otherwise build up if it was sitting flat on a surface.
    Do you have any suggestions on how i can do this? I keep my PS3 well ventilated but i would do this as well if it helps to prolong the life of my PS3 slim.

Lvl 7 - Gold

i'm not having problems with PS3 fans, i am one myself

seriously, a friend of mine had this problem, he build in an extra fan, PS3 runs great since then

Lvl 3 - Bronze

isn't it just the fan doing its job.....

The Temple of the King

Quote Originally Posted by _RiCaRdO_ View Post
    i'm not having problems with PS3 fans, i am one myself

seriously, a friend of mine had this problem, he build in an extra fan, PS3 runs great since then

Ugh, looks like the type of work that I'd screw up. I'm just glad my PS3 hasn't had any overheating issues yet.

Thou who seeketh the King's sword!
    I am the Old King.
    Show me thine strength and the strength of thine souls.
    Prepare thyself, brave knight.

Lvl 7 - Gold

try to dust it off as well might help a little

Negator

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless-Enigma View Post
    Do you have any suggestions on how i can do this? I keep my PS3 well ventilated but i would do this as well if it helps to prolong the life of my PS3 slim.
    There's lots of ways to do this, but I went the cheap route.

I have 3 PS3 game cases stacked under each side lip of the console, with a fan in the center directly beneath the unit. It's not necessary, but you can fabricate your own custom stand also:

Quote Originally Posted by _RiCaRdO_ View Post
    While this is a good idea, there's a few major issues with it. For one, Eddie's PS3 is still under warranty, so cutting a hole in his PS3 and screwing an additional fan into the case is just not an option. In general, it's a bad idea to run extra fans from the unit's internal power supply. So while having extra ventilation is a good thing, you're going to want an external power supply for any/all cooling units.

I've seen 3rd party after-market fan systems that 'click' onto the rear of the PS3, but they draw power from the console's power supply and also cover the original vents. Neither are positive for the console.

On top of that, the video you've shown, the modification would only work for a vertically standing PS3.

Quote Originally Posted by The-Lapqster View Post
    isn't it just the fan doing its job.....
    Technically, yes. However, this is a clear indication of a problem. Anyone who's noticed their PS3's fan sounding extremely loud should take it as a warning.
    Last edited by DarkFox's Piss Bucket; 03-18-2012 at 02:13 PM.

Since Aug. 09

DJ is the man, make sure it can breath...vacum out the dust in the vents.

Dominate!

Negator

Quote Originally Posted by goldberg_malta View Post
    try to dust it off as well might help a little
    Quote Originally Posted by kiona05 View Post
    make sure it can breath...vacum out the dust in the vents.
    Yup.

A light dusting each week really helps. If you've got $20, you can buy a small vacuum that's designed for electronics to keep the vents cleared of internal dust as well.

Trophy Guide Kitten

dust out all the vents good. Brokens was like that, so loud we couldn't hear the TV. I took a little flat head screwdriver and a lightly damped cloth and cleaned all the vents and holes and now it is completely quiet.
    K? Thanks

Lvl 9 - Gold

Dj took care of the problem
    August 2011 Trophy Competition Winner

Game on....

I am thinking about purchasing this PS3 stand. Let me know your opinions....

SONY PS3/ PS3 Slim horizontal stand with cooling fans | eBay

My two concerns are the power being drawn from the USB port and the PS3 having to be positioned at an angle on the stand.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless-Enigma View Post
    I am thinking about purchasing this PS3 stand. Let me know your opinions....

SONY PS3/ PS3 Slim horizontal stand with cooling fans | eBay

My two concerns are the power being drawn from the USB port and the PS3 having to be positioned at an angle on the stand.
    I've used those stands for 3 of my 4 ps3's. They are not meant for the ps3 slim or the fat model. But if you use it on a case that's fully opened, it helps pretty good. As far as power being drawn through the usb ports. I've never had an issue using and abusing my ps3 usb ports. Since one of the FW updates released restricted the use of charging your ps3 controllers through a USB hub and other 3rd party devices. I have to either unplug my fan or the hub to charge a controller unless I leave my fat model on just to charge 2-4 controllers at a time. It's stupid...
    August 2011 Trophy Competition Winner

PRO Member

These are all good strats. I should probably do something about it soon too. My fan has been loud for like a year or two, but I still have my 80GB fatty so they may be louder than the slims. Not too sure though.

|
    Sig - Initial D - Mazda RX-7 (FC3S)|
    |by Smashguy |

|Avy - Animals As Leaders|

Game on....

Quote Originally Posted by Minarum View Post
    I've used those stands for 3 of my 4 ps3's. They are not meant for the ps3 slim or the fat model. But if you use it on a case that's fully opened, it helps pretty good. As far as power being drawn through the usb ports. I've never had an issue using and abusing my ps3 usb ports. Since one of the FW updates released restricted the use of charging your ps3 controllers through a USB hub and other 3rd party devices. I have to either unplug my fan or the hub to charge a controller unless I leave my fat model on just to charge 2-4 controllers at a time. It's stupid...
    How many of the four PS3's you have are still working? Also would you say this stand is worth the purchase without opening the PS3 case?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast