Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Got YLOD

This is a discussion on Got YLOD within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; well not me but my brothers ps3. its a fatty had it since 09 he hadnt been using it much ...

Lvl 6 - Silver

Got YLOD

well not me but my brothers ps3. its a fatty had it since 09 he hadnt been using it much lately and i believe the culprit lies in the vents cuz theyre dirty. he turned it on and it briefly flashed from green to yellow to green then it just blinks red, he didnt mention any weird things prior to this or the ps3 hasnt shut down by itself. any suggestions other than buying another ps3?

United Military Gamers

There could be a multiple of things especially that dust that's in there but you need someone who knows what they're doing to look at it.....

United Military Gamers - like us on Facebook

Lvl 6 - Silver

am gonna try and clean it theres no harm in that

Lvl 6 - Silver

without opening it up of course

Eat My PewPew Lasers! >.<

Let us know how that goes.
    My fat PS3 YLOD 2 years ago, although i got it fixed since i had 2 days left on the extended warranty (lucky right?), I still got a slim
    I gave my fat one to my sis.
    It's been surviving, so.. yeah o:

I used it everyday for hours on end, so it couldn't have been dust for me ><
    It's just a flesh wound.

Lvl 6 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by FancyJesse View Post
    Let us know how that goes.
    My fat PS3 YLOD 2 years ago, although i got it fixed since i had 2 days left on the extended warranty (lucky right?), I still got a slim
    I gave my fat one to my sis.
    It's been surviving, so.. yeah o:

I used it everyday for hours on end, so it couldn't have been dust for me ><
    i will, my brother keeps it on the floor and never cleans it

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by AJL_LEYJA View Post
    i will, my brother keeps it on the floor and never cleans it
    Possibly one of the worst places he could keep the thing. It should be in a well-ventilated space to help combat overheating if nothing else.

PRO Member

This happened to my original fatty. Tried cleaning what I could get to from the outside with no luck. It would only stay on for about 2 minutes then flash yellow and die. Wouldn't start up any discs at all. It was dead, so I bought a new one.

Few months later, I figured I'd try to get it working again. I got it to stay on long enough to get to the advanced settings menu (or whatever they call it) and reset to factory defaults. Then I performed a little surgery. It wasn't working anyway, plus it was well out of warranty, so I had nothing to lose. I cracked it open and thoroughly cleaned it.

After I got it back together, she fired right up like brand new. Now I have an extra PS3 for the bedroom.

Moral of the story: if it's dead, and out of warranty, it may be worth a shot. Worked for me. Got nothing to lose really. Worst case, you have yourself a badass Forman Grill!

Lvl 6 - Silver

am afraid theres nothing else i can do and i rather buy another one than repair it

Chuck Norris Approved.

My 60gig fatty died about a week before the 320gig move bundle came out so I waited and got it. As in keeping it on the floor as said above bad idea, you want all kinds of room for it to stay cool. Also as stated keep it cleaned and you should be good on a new one as long as you don't get a bad one from the factory.

Avy, Chambers35 Sig, dsluckay

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I got the YLOD too, I have the 60 gig fat ps3, I got it repaired months ago for a large price which sucked, but it's still working fine.
    When you get it repaired it's a CHANCE for it to work so it's risky.

Lvl 6 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Wargazsem View Post
    My 60gig fatty died about a week before the 320gig move bundle came out so I waited and got it. As in keeping it on the floor as said above bad idea, you want all kinds of room for it to stay cool. Also as stated keep it cleaned and you should be good on a new one as long as you don't get a bad one from the factory.
    i got no worries i have plenty of playstation left 2 slims, 1 vita, and 1 ps2and that is just from sony

Lvl 5 - Silver

Did you end up cleaning it? Or just threw it away? Cause if you don't want it I'll take it off your hands.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

does the YLOD mostly effect the 60gb fatty, it seems thats what everyone who got YLOD had. I got the 80gb fatty and all this scares me

Lvl 6 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by ihulk5 View Post
    Did you end up cleaning it? Or just threw it away? Cause if you don't want it I'll take it off your hands.
    am gonna try an open it up to clean it thoroughly but even if i threw it away would you drive more than 400 miles to pick it up

Lvl 5 - Silver

am gonna try an open it up to clean it thoroughly but even if i threw it away would you drive more than 400 miles to pick it up
    No that's what my friends at USPS are for

Lvl 6 - Silver

No that's what my friends at USPS are for
    the condition is you have it pick it up in person lol did you get sfxt

Lvl 5 - Silver

the condition is you have it pick it up in person lol did you get sfxt
    dam, yeah but I haven't been able to get to it, I've been moving all my stuff around cause of the party I had and now my ps3 keeps getting a stupid error code.

I had the internet through a wired connection but I choose to have it in my room which requires WiFi. Ther error code I get it 8013013D. I've tried several solutions but I don't get it fixed, so if any of you know how to permanently fix it id be grateful.

Lvl 6 - Silver

dam, yeah but I haven't been able to get to it, I've been moving all my stuff around cause of the party I had and now my ps3 keeps getting a stupid error code.

I had the internet through a wired connection but I choose to have it in my room which requires WiFi. Ther error code I get it 8013013D. I've tried several solutions but I don't get it fixed, so if any of you know how to permanently fix it id be grateful.
    why not start a thread or go do some research

MK Plat = Overrated

am afraid theres nothing else i can do and i rather buy another one than repair it
    ^ This fucking statement right there, along with the rest of you who think this way, is one of the biggest problems with America today. Nobody fixes anything themselves anymore. LAZY. That is the best word to describe this sorry ass generation. "Oh well. The engine on my car went out. Time to buy another car." "My minor piece of electronics (PS3) stopped working. Guess I'll buy another one." "My water heater doesn't work anymore. I'll pay somebody $1,000 to come replace it."

Quote Originally Posted by vito72 View Post
    This happened to my original fatty. Tried cleaning what I could get to from the outside with no luck. It would only stay on for about 2 minutes then flash yellow and die. Wouldn't start up any discs at all. It was dead, so I bought a new one.

Few months later, I figured I'd try to get it working again. I got it to stay on long enough to get to the advanced settings menu (or whatever they call it) and reset to factory defaults. Then I performed a little surgery. It wasn't working anyway, plus it was well out of warranty, so I had nothing to lose. I cracked it open and thoroughly cleaned it.

After I got it back together, she fired right up like brand new. Now I have an extra PS3 for the bedroom.

Moral of the story: if it's dead, and out of warranty, it may be worth a shot. Worked for me. Got nothing to lose really. Worst case, you have yourself a badass Forman Grill!
    ^ We should be seeing more of these comments instead of the former. Grow some pubic hair, let your other fucking testicle descend and become a goddamn man!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast