Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rumor: Socom / MAG creators rumored to be shutting down.

This is a discussion on Rumor: Socom / MAG creators rumored to be shutting down. within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; http://kotaku.com/5894692/rumor-socom-creators-being-shut-down-by-sony Zipper Interactive, a first-party Sony studio responsible for the creation of the SOCOM series and PS3 shooter MAG, is ...

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Rumor: Socom / MAG creators rumored to be shutting down.

http://kotaku.com/5894692/rumor-socom-creators-being-shut-down-by-sony

Zipper Interactive, a first-party Sony studio responsible for the creation of the SOCOM series and PS3 shooter MAG, is in the process of being shut down, according to Kotaku sources.

Sony has repeatedly declined to comment on the matter to Kotaku this week, citing their policy not to discuss rumor or speculation.

But we've heard chatter for several days that Zipper was in the process of being hit with layoffs and a project cancellation. The scope of the layoffs appears to indicate a studio shutdown.

If this is true I will truly be sad, MAG was my favorite FPS game since Counter Strike and I was really hoping for a sequel some day.

PRO Member

This would suck. I really enjoyed Socom 4. Haven't played MAg but I have heard good things about it.

Sig and Avatar by Jondeere

Plats-O'-War!!

Quote Originally Posted by snakebit10 View Post
    This would suck. I really enjoyed Socom 4. Haven't played MAG but I have heard good things about it.
    Ditto. This sucks big time. I love SOCOM, and hope they can hold onto the franchise. I may just go out and get MAG just to play it. .........
    Last edited by kidson2004; 03-24-2012 at 08:53 AM.

Korean Girl Group Groupie

Pretty sad, since they've been making games for so long for Sony, and back in the PS2 days, were responsible for a lot of the online adapter sales.

It just goes to show how incredibly hard it is to succeed in the shooter market, whether it be third or first person, because of how over-saturated the market is with titles in the genre. It's got to be even more difficult for a first party developer, when your sales are limited to a single console. When such a huge market share of the shooter market is covered by Activision and EA's annual outings - the rest have to really do something special with massive mainstream appeal in order to succeed, which sadly, Zipper Interactive wasn't able to do this generation.

Maybe this will bring some good in the industry, and actually lead to a bit more innovation for the sake of survival, but I doubt it - considering the consumer base seems to enjoy eating up recycled rehashes with slight touch-ups, over games that break the mold. Time will tell, but I hope to see some of these guys move on and learn from previous mistakes and get another opportunity to do something that makes their next foray into the big bad gaming scene something that people praise and better job security.

Need help? Just ask (blank friend requests will always be ignored)

The One and Only

You know what, I don't feel sorry for them. Wanna know why?

MAG was truly a great game at first, but all they did over the course of 2010 was ruin it with patches that only made the gameplay get worse and less fun to play. They might've fixed bugs, but the negatives that came from their patches overkills it. For example, they keep fucking around with the guns, from increasing spread of the ATAC 3000 (an assault rifle from the PMC with the weakest guns) to increasing the range of the shotgun (I really didn't see the point in that, why the fuck would I want to get sniped by a shotgun?). They also never fixed the fact that the PMCs are ridiculously imbalanced. SVER is the most overpowered groups of dicks I've ever seen in a game, and Zipper never gave one fuck about balancing it, while Valor somehow had the worst blue dots (teammates outside of your squad) in the game, with Raven coming second. Another thing I found stupid was that during Durp Patch 2.0, They added knife skills, so the higher the skill, the better the knife is supposedly. What created a problem was that the knife is so inconsistent it's ridiculous. I can knife someone's head and they don't die, and it takes me 2-3 knife swings to kill someone, with the maxxed out knife skills! Yet one, and yes one knife swing would kill someone if you didn't max it out sometimes. I just don't get it!

So my very first PS3 game that I've played for a year and a half, I now will never turn back to and gave it to my cousin. Thanks Zipper for ruining what used to be an awesome game!

But yeah, farewell Zipper Interactive and thanks for trying.

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig, Avy, and Bar Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist getting revived soon!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop, currently open!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

Since Aug. 09

i dont know much about either company but what if they merged and made MAGCOM! navy seals running around in the MAG world lol.

Dominate!

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by DaRe_xLw View Post

MAG was truly a great game at first, but all they did over the course of 2010 was ruin it with patches that only made the gameplay get worse and less fun to play. They might've fixed bugs, but the negatives that came from their patches overkills it. For example, they keep fucking around with the guns, from increasing spread of the ATAC 3000 (an assault rifle from the PMC with the weakest guns) to increasing the range of the shotgun (I really didn't see the point in that, why the fuck would I want to get sniped by a shotgun?). They also never fixed the fact that the PMCs are ridiculously imbalanced. SVER is the most overpowered groups of dicks I've ever seen in a game, and Zipper never gave one fuck about balancing it, while Valor somehow had the worst blue dots (teammates outside of your squad) in the game, with Raven coming second. Another thing I found stupid was that during Durp Patch 2.0, They added knife skills, so the higher the skill, the better the knife is supposedly. What created a problem was that the knife is so inconsistent it's ridiculous. I can knife someone's head and they don't die, and it takes me 2-3 knife swings to kill someone, with the maxxed out knife skills! Yet one, and yes one knife swing would kill someone if you didn't max it out sometimes. I just don't get it!

So my very first PS3 game that I've played for a year and a half, I now will never turn back to and gave it to my cousin. Thanks Zipper for ruining what used to be an awesome game!

While I agree with some of your points I can't say I feel the same about all of them. I played MAG since the beta and finally finished the platinum about 2 months ago, so I played at many different times. I actually thought the updates fixed a lot of problems personally. When I started playing the machine guns were ridiculously over powered and there were plenty of bugs that needed fixing. Most of them were improved, and I never felt like any guns in the latest patches felt over powered like I noticed they were in the beginning.

I will be the first to admit that SVER was super over powered and I agree Zipper did almost nothing to try and fix this. It seems like Zippers biggest problems were listening to the fans or fixing all the problems their games had. They pretty much pick up and run when they don't know how to solve a problem. Do they kind of deserve to dissolve? Yeah, but at the same time for all their laziness they also had some brilliant ideas and work done. MAG to me was by far the most intelligent team based shooter I have ever played, I absolutely loved it. MAG was one of the best games I've played in my life, and I am sad that I probably won't ever get to see a sequel.

My dream would have been MAG 2 to be cross platform with PC. If MAG was on PC I think it would be one of the most popular games to this day, but that's just a dream so w/e.

The One and Only

Quote Originally Posted by DoomDash View Post
    While I agree with some of your points I can't say I feel the same about all of them. I played MAG since the beta and finally finished the platinum about 2 months ago, so I played at many different times. I actually thought the updates fixed a lot of problems personally. When I started playing the machine guns were ridiculously over powered and there were plenty of bugs that needed fixing. Most of them were improved, and I never felt like any guns in the latest patches felt over powered like I noticed they were in the beginning.

I will be the first to admit that SVER was super over powered and I agree Zipper did almost nothing to try and fix this. It seems like Zippers biggest problems were listening to the fans or fixing all the problems their games had. They pretty much pick up and run when they don't know how to solve a problem. Do they kind of deserve to dissolve? Yeah, but at the same time for all their laziness they also had some brilliant ideas and work done. MAG to me was by far the most intelligent team based shooter I have ever played, I absolutely loved it. MAG was one of the best games I've played in my life, and I am sad that I probably won't ever get to see a sequel.

My dream would have been MAG 2 to be cross platform with PC. If MAG was on PC I think it would be one of the most popular games to this day, but that's just a dream so w/e.
    Which is exactly why I was so unhappy that they ruined the game for me and many others. I heard Socom 4 didn't do too well either.

I think a MAG 2 should be for the PC and PS3 (mostly PS3 so I can play it! ), but I've always told people that it should be made by a different game developer.

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig, Avy, and Bar Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art

DaRe's Adventures v5.20

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

INTJ

mag was always terrible

Lvl 5 - Silver

No i was praying for a mag 2 !!!!
    INTERESTED IN YOUTUBE PARTNERSHIP? APPLY NOW!
    https://partner.makerstudios.com/?re...0UU00000048Wmj
    Check out my Videos!

Gorilla see, Gorilla do

This sucks. I was hoping for a MAG 2 at some point

Xbox One GT: I Asari Milk I Steam: AsariMilk

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by DaRe_xLw View Post

SVER was overpowered before due to they had map advantages, however Zipper fixed it in an update and all the maps are neutral. I have played as Valor and Raven and sometimes we beat SVER in domination. I have played MAG for almost 1 year and I can tell you that SVER simply has better players, teamwork, clans etc.

Anyways if this is true than that sucks. MAG is my all time favorite shooter, and I was really looking foward to a sequel MAG 2.

The One and Only

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick8095 View Post
    SVER was overpowered before due to they had map advantages, however Zipper fixed it in an update and all the maps are neutral. I have played as Valor and Raven and sometimes we beat SVER in domination. I have played MAG for almost 1 year and I can tell you that SVER simply has better players, teamwork, clans etc.

Anyways if this is true than that sucks. MAG is my all time favorite shooter, and I was really looking foward to a sequel MAG 2.
    All maps became neutral, but SVER was still more powerful. Even though players, teamwork, clans, etc. are factors to SVER being more powerful, have you noticed that everytime you go against a SVER player, there's always some lag going on between the opposite players to SVER's advantage? Maybe that's just me, but I've yet to experience that against Valor nor Raven.

And also, SVER weapons are still more powerful than the other two PMC's, yet they keep fucking with Raven weapons not making it any better? Seriously if I notice a big difference in the improvement of SVER weapons compared to Ravens or Valors, then that's a problem.

AK103, AG94, and Vipea are the best weapons in MAG if you're a gunner who likes SMGs and ARs, all three being in SVER, at least as far as my one and a half year experiences show they're better.
    Last edited by DaRe_xLw; 03-25-2012 at 10:20 AM. Reason: some typo of some sort

DaRe's Journey of Art

DaRe's Adventures v5.20

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I'm really not surprised, MAG was okay, trying out 256 players was awesome but the overall graphics and gun play weren't good. It was socom 4 where zipper made there fuck up though, going completely against their fanbase. Making a respawn third person MAG/COD instead of a true non-respawn tactical shooter (essential for socom) was gaming suicide as all their fanbase stuck with socom confrontation even though it was hacked and glitched to near unplayable, but it showed the backlash to the game.
    It is sad though, as with the closing of Zipper it may be a long time till we see a tactical shooter on the levels of the old socoms.

The Bushiest Pig

Quote Originally Posted by kiona05 View Post
    i dont know much about either company but what if they merged and made MAGCOM! navy seals running around in the MAG world lol.
    MAG ans SOCOM are game made by the same company .... so there is no possible way to moerge 2 un-existant companies :stare:

When I first played the Beta I loved it. Got the game and played it for around 200 hours. Im proud to have it's platinum. Granted it had it's flaws, but when you get a 256 player game there are bound to be. They tried to fix it ... sometimes they fixed things, other times they didn't. What leaded me into trading it in was the dwindling amount of players. I had planned to get the Jap version and get plat but there was just no point. Farewell Zipper (if this is true)

Who will support Unit 13 if Zipper closes?
    1st Place - VITA Trophy Guide of the Year, 2012 - Uncharted: Golden Abyss

2nd Place - CB Personality of the Year, 2011

2nd Place - DLC Trophy Guide of the Year, 2011 - Call of Duty: Black Ops Rezurrection

The Bushiest Pig

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    mag was always terrible
    So much insight .....
    1st Place - VITA Trophy Guide of the Year, 2012 - Uncharted: Golden Abyss

2nd Place - CB Personality of the Year, 2011

2nd Place - DLC Trophy Guide of the Year, 2011 - Call of Duty: Black Ops Rezurrection

Check Those Corners

MAG was ok, but Socom 4 was better in my opinion. MAG was 24/7 getting sniped, but I liked the idea of 256 players in one online game. It was flawed though. I would be seeking to look into a new MAG if this isn't true, but if not, farewell Zipper Interactive.

Trophy Guide Grand Master

Tis a sad day *pours out some Voltage for Zipper* I have very fond memories of playing SOCOM 2 through Socom Confrontation with my clan mates. Sometimes I even peruse the vids people have posted online and it still makes me want to play the older SOCOM games. I never played MAG as it wasn't my thing, but I can say that it was a little game called SOCOM 2 that got me into playing games online every night with my friends and thos old school SOCOMs were some of the best online games if you had a good group of friends to play with....

Wish the staff of Zipper the best of luck in finding new jobs

Lvl 4 - Silver

MAG wasn't good but Unit 13 and Socom 4 was good and this better be just a rumour because i want more tactical shooters also zipper interactive is the second best producer for ps3 games excluding horrible MAG

Resident PHD

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    mag was always terrible
    *looks at PS360 trophy list...he has never played MAG...just spamming to increase post count it seems*

This is just a rumor so we don't know if it is true or not but if it is that is sad indeed. Now I am not a huge Zipper fan but I don't like all these game companies closing. The market is becoming over saturated and it seems the general public would rather just keep playing the same game over and over instead of actually experiencing new and often better games.

I fear another Videogame crash is coming sooner, rather than later.

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast