Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Resident designers says horror doesnt sell no more...

This is a discussion on Resident designers says horror doesnt sell no more... within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Originally Posted by Timeless-Enigma Dead Space and Silent Hill are games that i think are scary. Resident evil has never ...

Lvl 8 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless-Enigma View Post
    Dead Space and Silent Hill are games that i think are scary. Resident evil has never been scary apart from maybe the first game. The music in the first resi game really set the atmosphere perfectly and made running through the mansion and exploring the rooms tense. Especially exploring the labs towards the end of the game.
    Resident Evil games weren't scary in a sense that you're afraid to enter a room or walk down a corridor. What made the old games good is the atmosphere. Walking around a city, lab or a military base in ruins hoping you won't run into a zombie because you only have 5 bullets in your handgun...that's what I liked about RE games. Conserving ammo, health and really getting into the game thanks to a great atmosphere.

Game on....

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Assassin View Post
    Resident Evil games weren't scary in a sense that you're afraid to enter a room or walk down a corridor. What made the old games good is the atmosphere. Walking around a city, lab or a military base in ruins hoping you won't run into a zombie because you only have 5 bullets in your handgun...that's what I liked about RE games. Conserving ammo, health and really getting into the game thanks to a great atmosphere.

That was my point. The atmosphere, the creepy rooms and music.

Lvl 8 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless-Enigma View Post
    That was my point. The atmosphere, the creepy rooms and music.
    Yes, and I agree with you. Tense is the right word to describe the atmosphere in RE games. I played RE1 again recently and despite the slow controls it's still an excellent survival horror game.

Legend...Nuff Said

People will bitch and moan either way. Gamers need to get their heads out of their ass and realize that making video games is a business. They will make what will make them money. If Capcom thinks turning RE more action oriented will make them more money, good for them. Would everybody be happy if Capcom chose to make RE 7 a survival horror game but it sold like crap, just to suit their own inflated egos and delusions of grandeur?

On a personal note I found the storylines for RE1-3 a lot better than for 4-5 but the gameplay is way better for 4-5 than 1-3.

L
    asombra Files Interviews and Top Trophy Tournament Commentary from Skip and Max linked in the banner.
    Checkout the Facebook page or follow me on Twitter @LasombraFiles
    My novels can be found here: The Lasombra Files: Choice and Consequence and
    Til Death Do Us Part
    Big thanks to the site for giving me my start as a writer!

PRO Member

Quick, someone show Capcom a certain something called Dead Space.

PRO Member

I'm sure everyone says that Resident Evil needs to go back to horror. So I can't see why horror doesn't sell...

PRO Member

Truthfully I'd like to see a new clock tower now that game was true horror using items to knock a maniac murderer after you over while hiding also to stay out of his way but be careful if the hiding spot is to obvious he will kill you with a hiding death scene this game was true horror at it's best.

Harvester of Souls

Quote Originally Posted by Lasombra View Post
    People will bitch and moan either way. Gamers need to get their heads out of their ass and realize that making video games is a business. They will make what will make them money. If Capcom thinks turning RE more action oriented will make them more money, good for them. Would everybody be happy if Capcom chose to make RE 7 a survival horror game but it sold like crap, just to suit their own inflated egos and delusions of grandeur?

On a personal note I found the storylines for RE1-3 a lot better than for 4-5 but the gameplay is way better for 4-5 than 1-3.
    But that's the thing, they will still sell and probably more so if they were the original survival horror style, while keeping the update gameplay of 4-5. Just cause the want to expand doesn't necessarily mean it's working, just more gamers and newer games so they see RE and know it's awesome game so they buy it. Then everyone complains cause they may be good games still, but they are going away from what got MOST fans into to begin with. These versions selling more than original doesn't necessarily mean anything, just the times I'd say. And this is a thread about peoples opinions on the matter, not something of people just complaining on it. Nothing will change and Capcom will do as they want anyways. Nothing about gamers with their heads in their asses.. simply the developers .

Quote Originally Posted by drjackel666 View Post
    Truthfully I'd like to see a new clock tower now that game was true horror using items to knock a maniac murderer after you over while hiding also to stay out of his way but be careful if the hiding spot is to obvious he will kill you with a hiding death scene this game was true horror at it's best.
    Clock Tower Nuff said.

HOSTED BY GREAT DAZE TAZER!!!!! COME JOIN THE MAYHEM!!!

Guide Bar Created by Ds_luckay

Lvl 4 - Silver

To be honest they don't care about what the fans what...More so the Publishers than the Developers but all they see is numbers and trends. They see games like Call Of Duty have booming sales and they say "how can we compete with that?" They think that everyone wants action and explosions or whatever the certain trend is so they try to incorporate it into their new games while fans of the series are like Wtf? Maybe the reason why Survival Horror games aren't as popular anymore is because they haven't made a decent/unique one in years to spike the genre in a positive direction. I'm all for change that benefits the series but don't try to fix what's not broken based on a popularity contest.

Currently Working On- Borderlands 2 52% Resistance: Burning Skies 40%

Harvester of Souls

With you completely there Provisions . Exactly what I'm saying and is the truth. Regardless on an action game might sell more, if you make a series, why not try to keep it where fans love it and make a new game if you want competition. Regardless if you might sell few more or less, don't destroy a series for a few bucks, that may be considered "good" business but in long run might kill sells and the name of your series of games.

HOSTED BY GREAT DAZE TAZER!!!!! COME JOIN THE MAYHEM!!!

Guide Bar Created by Ds_luckay

Legend...Nuff Said

Its Capcom's game and their vision of how they want to build it. RE can't go back to it's survival horror roots at the moment because their expanding the story in a different direction. Maybe 7 might go back to it if the story they are crafting goes back to it.

I will agree with what someone said before that the hollywood movies are crap, but their not cannon so it doesn't really matter. Watch the CG movie Degeneration for a good 'movie' in the series thats cannon.

L
    asombra Files Interviews and Top Trophy Tournament Commentary from Skip and Max linked in the banner.
    Checkout the Facebook page or follow me on Twitter @LasombraFiles
    My novels can be found here: The Lasombra Files: Choice and Consequence and
    Til Death Do Us Part
    Big thanks to the site for giving me my start as a writer!

Lvl 9 - Gold

They say horror doesn't sell, but I don't see them making horror games to prove it. Last one was probably RE0 or the first RE remake.
    The newest Silent Hill games aren't scary, Resident Evil games aren't scary...
    Dead Space is not really scary but it does a better job and it has a really good storyline. F.E.A.R. games also are kinda scary but not that much.

They say horror doesn't sell...but look at Amnesia: The Dark Descent. No weapons, no action scenes, just horror.
    I bet that if mods like Nightmare House 2 were paid the devs would actually get a nice amount of money.
    The last scary mod I tried was Cry of Fear, it is an AMAZING mod, the scariest thing I've played after Amnesia, and I had a lot of fun playing it. Again, if they charged for such a mod they would actually make money.

Capcom, you just don't know anything relevant anymore. Maybe the problem is not that horror doesn't sell, maybe it's that you just don't know how to make good games anymore.

NO blank Friend Requests will be accepted

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_leyenda View Post
    They say horror doesn't sell, but I don't see them making horror games to prove it.
    Resident evil Revelations

but thats a terrible way to support their argument because it sold well and it's highly acclaimed

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    Resident evil Revelations

but thats a terrible way to support their argument because it sold well and it's highly acclaimed
    5 of my friends have brought the game and love it and said that this game at times felt like old school re games with running out of ammo running away from zombies or whatever you call those claw like zombie things and just badass bosses.

INTJ

yea ammo is really scarce in that game

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Horror games don't sell that well because the majority of titles are far from scary (the dead space games and a couple exceptions aside) and series
    that used to be disturbing (i'm staring at you silent hill) have been shipped off to sub-standard western studios to butcher. Where's a new Fatal Frame or Siren? I'm trying to think of some more decent horror games this gen. They fucked up the FEAR sequels that's for sure. Despite all this negativity, i'm still looking forward to playing RE Revelations

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12