Dust 514 Info Explosion: Trailer, Maps Generate on the fly, Major Free expansion already planned

This is a discussion on Dust 514 Info Explosion: Trailer, Maps Generate on the fly, Major Free expansion already planned within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; http://www.dust514.org/home/item/dus...hat-we-learned A packed auditorium of 1,800 eve players and gaming press 7000 EVE TV viewers and several thousand PShome viewers ...

INTJ

Dust 514 Info Explosion: Trailer, Maps Generate on the fly, Major Free expansion already planned

http://www.dust514.org/home/item/dus...hat-we-learned

A packed auditorium of 1,800 eve players and gaming press 7000 EVE TV viewers and several thousand PShome viewers were just treated to a DUST 514 demo and presentation live from Harpa, Iceland's newest venue. Hilmir, CCP Praetorian and CCP Jian gave us a lot of information to digest, so without further adieu here is a brief summary of what we have learned so far:

• There is Merc Quarter similar to EVE Captain's quarters where everything is
    • Character sheet displaying everything about your character just like in EVE
    • Skill system is very similar to EVE, although as well as passive skilling you will also have active skilling.
    • Battle finder is easy way to jump into the game - devs joined a battle that was already set up
    • You can also be invited to a battle by a friend, by a corporation member or you can find your own battles by using various filters including star system filters
    • There is lobby before a match where people can prepare for battle and talk about strategies with each other before the actual battle starts
    • Dropsuit fitting is available also in lobby, and you can also set your fits there as well for your vehicles
    • Market is available also there where you can instanatly purchase things
    • Spawning is "random drop" on a map at first
    • GAME IS NOT AT ALL PAY TO WIN
    • RDV's are dropping the actual vehicles and vehicles never spawn out of nowhere
    • There is real-time 3D overview map that you can view
    • Goal in this matchup was to destroy MCC and other team is to dock MCC to outpost while other team defends
    • You an switch from first and third person view in a vehicle
    • Objectives are split into parts where you can hack parts of the map - defense relays etc
    • Nanorays are deployable healing spots where you can replenish your health (shield and structure)
    • You can switch your fit on the fly - at a supply post that you hack and use for switch
    • You have to hack enemy vehicles to use them and not just jump in
    • There are launch codes for orbital bombardment that you have to have
    • EVE players can paint the target on the DUST map for orbital bombardment and send it away
    • EVE player has to be on correct side of the planet and aim for it always
    • Players have to destroy anti-MCC cannons before getting in the installation with MCC itself
    • Rewards are given away to players after the match as well
    • Maps are generate on the fly but more about that on "Seeding the universe" panel tomorrow!
    Over the next fiew hours we will be delving into each of these new peices of information and talking about the impact they will have on players of EVE online as well as how exciting it all is for us prospective Dust 514 players.

http://www.dust514.org/home/item/dus...g-the-universe

• Concept with seeding the universe is pretty much: coming up with a universe concept, regions, planets and then specific styles and details of planets and systems
    • The tool used to create the universe is making from empty space entire networks of solar systems - empires are spread and expanding as CCP makes them available for DUST
    • There were about 20 seed points for world of EVE at initial trial and error of creation of the universe which was making a lot of structures later on
    • Strategizing the planet terrain was rather hard and CCP came up with "Districts" on planets
    • Districts are hexagons on the planet and they are about 10 - 20 on a planet (pretty much 10-20 maps per planet, also remember there are over 7.000+ planets in EVE Universe to play on at launch and more later that will probably reach famous 60.000 number eventually)
    • CCP is working hard to make EVE players see that there are battles on the planet itself if they just fly by
    • Districts are owned by corporations and a function is determined by a "Surface infrastructure" which is urban center of the district which says what specific district exactly does
    • In high security space there will be NPC owned coprorations that will give you contracts and always give you ability to jump in and fight but less meaningful on a planet since it is NPC owned
    • There is Faction Warfare that is a lot more meaningful as well for planets and then followed by Nullsec also that is really meaningful in universe itself
    • There are various ways to "generate map" that vary from a position of a district and general geopgraphical aspect but you will have bunch of different maps that you've never seen before
    • Terrains go over 5x5km so you will have a lot of terrain to fight on, and you will never feel you are enclosed anywhere
    • There are various structures - Large, medium, and small structures. Large being entire outposts obviously
    • There are various weather environments: grassy, snowy etc. as well as actual weather: night, day, electrical storms, rain, etc
    • Surface infrastructure is making maps so they never can repeat themselves pretty much - outposts will always be in different spots as well as terrain itself with all the small medium and large structures and all tactical things you wish for in a match
    • Height map is creating elevation of the terrain so it makes maps feel mroe and more different
    • CCP rolled out sneak peek of maps and just showed to us how huge the terrain is when it is even empty - the engine itself is able to stream data to players so maps can go from 5 to 50 kilomteres even so it doesn't break the immersion when you look around you
    • They showed us also same terrain with different environmental effects which looks amazing - desert looking terrain looks rather photo-realistic and every other image on the slideshow
    • Full Faction Warfare enconter would have also anti-orbital cannons and orbital command centers which would bring even bigger interaction with owners of the district and attackers
    • Terrain and structures are being generated depending on the region and faction obviously
    • DUST is planned to invade wormholes eventually - not at launch
    • CCP is very focused on solving gameplay mechanics first and then making "plasma planets" and "lava planets" considering envinroments and there will be still variation of maps and environments
    • Weather will not have major impact currently on gameplay but it will come when game comes out very soon
    • Gravity will be "standardized" but will later on be changed on various planets and as game progresses with players (remember, expansions and everything will be completely free as well)
    • CCP doesn't plan on changing current planets in EVE at all for DUST players to adapt - you fight on what you have already in the universe itself
    • CCP may add later on invasions of ships in EVE as well! So EVE players can hire other mercs to fight back the attackers
    • There is no Orbital Bombardment in High Security space at all - that is something that is nullsec - FW specific
    • Solution for day/night cycles is being figured out but Destiny engine (EVE Physics server simulation engine) is currently focusing on core gameplay and not those details because matches will not really last extremely long (for so many hours that day and night cycle needs to shift) - but you will get night matches definitely as well
    • Lowsec and Null is unclaimed for players to grab.
    • Temperate planets for now will be available to us - but will be expanded fast
    • Both OCC and SCC contribute to Faction Warfare Sovereignty

Kiwi Defender

GAME IS NOT AT ALL PAY TO WIN

Great news!

The game looks even more interesting than before, and I really liked the trailer. Will we be able to fight in space, as well as on a planet?

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    GAME IS NOT AT ALL PAY TO WIN

Great news!

The game looks even more interesting than before, and I really liked the trailer. Will we be able to fight in space, as well as on a planet?
    nope,

PC players manage the space part. The Console Users manage the vehicles in the worlds atmosphere and people on the world while PC Players can watch and shoot down onto the planet.

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    nope,

PC players manage the space part. The Console Users manage the vehicles in the worlds atmosphere and people on the world while PC Players can watch and shoot down onto the planet.
    I do recall they are in charge of sending us crap and nuking the hell out of us, but wasn't aware about the space-fights. Oh well.

Toggle Spoiler

My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Platinum Procrastinator

I can't wait to see some actual game play for this. I usually not a fan of many FPS games, but after playing BF3 a lot lately, I think I'll probably end up buying this and investing a lot of time into it as I've always wanted to try EVE, but didn't like the idea of subscribing to another MMO.
    Like TV shows, join the Small Screen Gossip group!

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Denaratuck View Post
    I can't wait to see some actual game play for this. I usually not a fan of many FPS games, but after playing BF3 a lot lately, I think I'll probably end up buying this and investing a lot of time into it as I've always wanted to try EVE, but didn't like the idea of subscribing to another MMO.

also with CCP Games, you have to invest MASSIVE amounts of time into the game or your not going to have a good experience.

Basically it is a Social game, you have to make actual friends in-game to survive. You have to treat the game like you would act in real life or your dead (sounds confusing now, but when you play it you'll understand). Call of duty idiots will hate this game because of it.

Kiwi Defender

Looks amazing! I suspect the maps will be much bigger on the retail verison, right?

Toggle Spoiler

INTJ

Looks amazing! I suspect the maps will be much bigger on the retail verison, right?
    they said so in the video

this isn't conquest sized. also the beta happening right now on the ps3. everyone loves 24 vs 24 and they might extend it to 32 vs 32 in the major expansion.

Kiwi Defender

they said so in the video

this isn't conquest sized. also the beta happening right now on the ps3. everyone loves 24 vs 24 and they might extend it to 32 vs 32 in the major expansion.
    I had the video muted, though.

How can one participate on the beta?

Toggle Spoiler

INTJ

I had the video muted, though.

How can one participate on the beta?

you need to be subscribed to eve online and have a account in either america or europe.

keepin the beta pool small

Kiwi Defender

you need to be subscribed to eve online and have a account in either america or europe.

keepin the beta pool small
    I see . Can't blame them, why have too many players when most won't even give feedback?

Toggle Spoiler

INTJ

I see . Can't blame them, why have too many players when most won't even give feedback?
    it does make sense

eve online players have to pay in-game money to use dust people to liberate shit on planets. they want to make sure their investment is good.

find it funny how the PC Gamers use console gamers to do their dirty work.

(pictured: Rich PC Players using poor and irish console gamers as tools to control land)