Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bad news for us Resident Evil Fans.......

This is a discussion on Bad news for us Resident Evil Fans....... within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; My fears have been confirmed. Resident Evil is going away from the "Survival Horror" citing that the market is "too ...

Plats-O'-War!!

Bad news for us Resident Evil Fans.......

My fears have been confirmed. Resident Evil is going away from the "Survival Horror" citing that the market is "too small".

Declaring the survival horror market too small for the Resident Evil series, a Capcom producer says future iterations of the franchise, "need to be an extension of the changes made in Resident Evil 4 and Resident Evil 5."Resident Evil: Revelations producer Masachika Kawata spoke with Gamasutra on the subject of what's viable for the Resident Evil brand moving forward.
    On the move away from traditional survival horror gameplay:
    "Especially for the North American market, I think the series needs to head in that [action-oriented] direction," Kawata said. "[Resident Evil's primary games] need to be an extension of the changes made in Resident Evil 4 and Resident Evil 5.
    "RE4 started in that direction, and RE5 kept going in that direction. And I think that, especially for the North American market, we need to keep going in that direction and take it a step further. And that's exactly one of the reasons that Revelations is the way it is."
    On the financial landscape for Survival horror games vs. Action games:
    "Looking at the marketing data [for survival horror games] the market is small, compared to the number of units Call of Duty and all those action games sell. A 'survival horror' Resident Evil doesn't seem like it'd be able to sell those kind of numbers."
    "I can't really speak for Resident Evil 6, but I don't think that it necessarily has to go all the way in that [action-heavy] direction, the Call of Duty direction. It doesn't have to be a straight up shooter. But my impression is that Resident Evil 4 and 5 aren't shooters, per se."
    "So I think that by extending the market in this sense, we can still have the numbered titles keep their identity about what Resident Evil is supposed to be, but still expand and hit other markets as well."
    For more of the interview, head over to Gamasutra.
    Source: Resident Evil Series Bidding Adieu to Survival Horror Confines from Side Mission Gaming News.

Damn shame that we won't see the REAL Resident Evil games no longer. Just plain sad...........Thoughts? ?hmm:

Threat

Resident Evil 4 = Greatest RE ever, one of the greatest games ever (In my opinion)
    Thanks to djunglist for the sig and avy

Prayer Warrior

my thoughts are if the new direction works for a different type of game then cool. let it be an action adventure game but don't claim it to be survival horror anymore cause it's not. i really enjoyed RE5. was it scary? no! i didn't jump one time or even feel scared from atmosphere but i still enjoyed the game. so if it works then it works. cool.....just make sure to put the proper label on it

ps3trophies.com member since April 2009

Lvl 9 - Gold

RE4 isn't a Survival Horror game, but its still amazing. We may not see one like the originals anymore but times change.
    > LIKE my Facebook page, where I post Gaming News!! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Evere...22814831104589 <

Add me on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/The1TheBob?ref=tn_tnmn

Follow me - https://twitter.com/The1TheBob

My FAVE FIVE:

WWE: Goldust, Zack Ryder, Bray Wyatt, Cody Rhodes, Big E Langston

Plats-O'-War!!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Sparx View Post
    my thoughts are if the new direction works for a different type of game then cool. let it be an action adventure game but don't claim it to be survival horror anymore cause it's not. i really enjoyed RE5. was it scary? no! i didn't jump one time or even feel scared from atmosphere but i still enjoyed the game. so if it works then it works. cool.....just make sure to put the proper label on it
    I enjoyed RE5 myself. Wasn't a bit scary at all, but hopefully, this "new direction" they're going in will produce positive results.

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

Then why bother? The title means nothing now, i miss the zombies and suspense of the first few (not Resi 4, it was good but not what i wanted from a new Resi).

With that statement and the run of increasingly insulting films, I smell a reboot in a couple of games time where they will say they want to go back to their roots and scare people again.

Capcom need to learn not to follow Tony Guitar Of Duty Warcraft Inc into the greed pit of Givenottaflyinfekkuswhatthefanswantjustmakeusrichwithblandandsafegaming but i fear it's too late.

Threat

RE5 was pure action, but still good. RE4 was a perfect mix in my opinion, it had plenty of scary parts along with the action.
    Thanks to djunglist for the sig and avy

Plats-O'-War!!

Quote Originally Posted by AlecDawesome View Post
    RE5 was pure action, but still good. RE4 was a perfect mix in my opinion, it had plenty of scary parts along with the action.
    ^^This!!^^ If they "mix it right", the all will be well for a while

PRO Member

Definitely disappointing, but RE 6 looks pretty solid.

|
    Sig - Initial D - Mazda RX-7 (FC3S)|
    |by Smashguy |

|Avy - Animals As Leaders|

Lvl 7 - Gold

Resident Evil 4 = Greatest RE ever, one of the greatest games ever (In my opinion)
    This is Doom's opinion as well. Resident Evil 5 was just awful.
    Doom runs a country, bitch! A nation of slaves! Dig you a grave! I'll make Umbrella look like Welfare, minimum wage! Doom is getting enraged! I come harder! Killed my ex-girlfriend and turned her into a suit of armor! Beat you to death with your legs, leave you in stitches, Marvel 2 is the shit, RE 5 is for bitches!

Sig made by Auburn
    First Latverian to Platinum Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater.

Lvl 4 - Silver

i'm very disappointed RE was the leading series in the survival horror genre now they are smearing it just to compete with the FPS games

Kiwi Defender

Well, good news for survival-horror fans: Silent Hill is still around lol.

I beg to differ. I'm someone who gets scared easily, and RE4 never even bothered me. Same with RE5.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    Well, good news for survival-horror fans: Silent Hill is still around lol.

Silent hill HD Collection has no fog

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    Silent hill HD Collection has no fog

Toggle Spoiler

Whoah, how dare they? Silent Hill games should always have a thick fog .

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Regional Manager of War

oh well games these days are trying to appeal to a larger audience, which isn't bad in a business sense but sometimes it can back fire on them. RE6 looks like fun but whats the point of having zombies in a action oriented game

PRO Member

I love res and Cod but IMO trying to change res to a FPS is suicide. I think we need a res Hd remake i think and then they need to make a decision on weather it is still possible or not.

Sig by: DaRe_xLw Avy by: Dsluckay

Will Love you for Food

Usually it seems as things go on they start to get worse. It sucks to see this happening to one of the oldest survival horror franchise going away to a new direction. Now the only good ones I can think of are Amnesia, Dead Space, and Silent Hill. There are already plenty of action games out there, and Capcom just wants RE to get even more mainstream and rank in the money.

Check Those Corners

I never was really a fan of RE except for the first one. I don't think it will change my mind in the "new direction" they are taking anyway.

An old-fashioned cowboy

It makes no difference to me if RE6 is survival horror or more action oriented I'm still gonna enjoy it either way as long as the story is interesting enough.

PRO Member

this thread is simillar to mine but what the hell ..and as for no fog in sillent hill 2 hd thats just wrong.
    Last edited by DrJackel666; 03-25-2012 at 12:18 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast