DMC Dev: Giving Fans what they want = Creative Bankruptcy

This is a discussion on DMC Dev: Giving Fans what they want = Creative Bankruptcy within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; DMC Dev: Letting Fans Run The Show = "Creative Bankruptcy" - PS3 News Devil May Cry purists continue to wage ...

INTJ

DMC Dev: Giving Fans what they want = Creative Bankruptcy

DMC Dev: Letting Fans Run The Show = "Creative Bankruptcy" - PS3 News

Devil May Cry purists continue to wage war against developer Ninja Theory for the upcoming reboot, entitled simply DMC.

But as the developer has said multiple times, those annoyed fans need to redirect their venom, as Ninja Theory is only doing what Capcom asked. Furthermore, as studio boss Tameem Antoniades told OXM UK, making a game purely for the fans is a terrible idea.

But first, the idea of blaming the developer for the franchise's change in direction:

"The decision as to whether DMC needed a reboot or not: it's irrelevant what my opinion is because that decision was Capcom's. They felt it needed something, which is why they not only decided to take a bold step and reinvent it, but to give it to a non-Japanese dev. They had their reasons and that was our mandate. They wanted a reinvention - a reinterpretation - and that's what we went ahead and did."

It seems Capcom was concerned with the lower-than-expected sales for Devil May Cry 4 and subsequently approached Ninja Theory "to introduce a Western flavor." Antoniades said some people at Capcom felt the franchise "was a little stuck in its ways" and it needed to be "let loose." Therefore, the team was tasked with the idea of a reboot; a reinvention, if you will. But although the team always says they listen to fan feedback (and that includes death threats), Antoniades says sometimes, "the worst creative crimes are made when you're trying to make a game for someone else."

"From my point of view there's only one way to try and make a successful game, and that's to make the game you want to play. A game that everyone involved is proud of. So from that point of view I don't care if it sells a thousand units or two million units. I believe the time you spend making something has to be worthwhile. You've got 20 productive years of work in your life; if you're gonna spend ten or 15 percent of it on something, make it worthwhile.

Philosophically, the way to make a successful game is to believe in what you're doing, then hope that sales follow. I'm not trying to design around what I think people will want. That's where you get into creative bankruptcy. That, more than anything, will kill a series."

There's always a fine line to walk. How much internal creative inspiration do we use compared to gamer feedback? It must not be an easy thing to do, and we don't envy these guys.

capcom - because fuck you fans.

Crocodile Hunter

I didnt think DMC was that loved. I thought the collection sales will be meh but suddently everyone has a voice to bitch when i bet at least 40% of the idiots have never even played a DMC before. Myself included which is why i have netural views on the collection and the reboot. will wait and play them

Sig by Apokolypz

Kiwi Defender

Oh boy, if he was only right! If he was, Zelda, Mario, R&C and CoD would be long dead or about to, but no, they keep rehashing and selling units like crazy ******s.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Lvl 7 - Gold

Sounds like Ninja Theory is just now making up an excuse to cover their ass.
    Avy created by Beam and kid420247

Legend...Nuff Said

I agree with him. Gamers need to stop thinking they have some right to direct how a title should go.
    This goes hand in hand with this whole ME3 ending petition. I've not looked at it because I don't want spoilers for when I buy the game. But seriously? Don't like the ending then just don't buy the next game, or don't buy the game if it was spoiled for you. Or better yet, take a few writing classes and try and make it as a writer and get hired by a gaming company.

L
    asombra Files Interviews and Top Trophy Tournament Commentary from Skip and Max linked in the banner.
    Checkout the Facebook page or follow me on Twitter @LasombraFiles
    My novels can be found here: The Lasombra Files: Choice and Consequence and
    Til Death Do Us Part
    Big thanks to the site for giving me my start as a writer!

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by Lasombra View Post
    Or better yet, take a few writing classes and try and make it as a writer and get hired by a gaming company.
    You don't need to be a writer to get hired, though. Just look at Dragon Age 2's writer.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    You don't need to be a writer to get hired, though. Just look at Dragon Age 2's writer.
    ur just jelus of jennifer hepler becuase she has a job in the gaming industry and a vagina!

MK Plat = Overrated

I kind of wish Japanese companies would do this more often. I'm sure there are plenty on this site who love the whole anime style in their video games. However, there are way more gamers out there that couldn't care less. There are probably just as many gamers our there as the anime fans that can't stand anime. I'm part of the latter group. When I was 10 and 11 years old I was kind of into it. Then I grew pubic hair and matured a little to see how retarded jap-anime really is. Also, the games never translate into English correctly. They always sound way worse than intended (I hope). I love Ninja Theory and I'm sure they will do their best to make DMC a great game.

PRO Member

I'm fine with the reboot just wish the designer of it didnt use his own fave for young dante thats all..as for the hd collection cant wait to play 1 and 3 again and maybe i might survive the torture of 2 again.

Regional Manager of War

This game shouldn't even be a reboot or have the DMC name, but without that no one would really care for this game and it will hit the bargain bin fast like Enslaved and Heavenly Sword. What I don't understand is if this is when dante was younger in DMC 3 he was 16 with white hair but in this game he must be 10-14 years of age for any of this to make sense.
    Last edited by Admiral_Awesome91; 03-26-2012 at 09:05 AM.

Lvl 9 - Gold

"to introduce a Western flavor."

No, Capcom, leave that to God of War.
    I will get the new DmC because it looks like a fun game, not because it's a Devil May Cry title.

NO blank Friend Requests will be accepted

Lvl 7 - Gold

i think it will be nice game, not for the title but for the game