Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Any Reason At All Sony isn't using Toro And Kuro outside Japan?

This is a discussion on Any Reason At All Sony isn't using Toro And Kuro outside Japan? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s Because Western audiences don't go for cutesy Japanese crap. You might, but the other 99% of ...

Lvl 4 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    Because Western audiences don't go for cutesy Japanese crap. You might, but the other 99% of the population won't.

The rest of the world has Sackboy, which is a much more flexible mascot that can be transformed into any other Sony character, like Kratos, Nariko, Helghast, Drake, Chimera etc.
    This was my first thought^^ and sackboy is cooler than two cats imo.
    -Feel free to add me on PSN (Kami_Gunn). Don't leave a blank message .

Closing this account

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    Yet the world is full of wapanese people, like him.
    i really dislike those types of ppl.

INTJ

Yet the world is full of wapanese people, like him.
    Urban Dictionary: wapanese

Wapanese is the term used to describe a person of non-japanese descent (usually white, however some others are lumped in there as well) who is incredibly obsessed with Japanese things.

A person who watches anime or majors in Japanese language at university is not counted as wapanese.

yea sure i like japanese shit but i don't go batshit all over it.

Lvl 8 - Gold

I don't think I've ever seen sackboy used as a mascot for Sony products... but yeah Toro and Kuro should just be ported over here, I mean they've already got quite a big standing so it's not like they'll be thrown into the deep end. And Sony really needs a mascot over here...

And lol at people suggesting it's japanophilic to want Toro and Kuro over here...

Lvl 5 - Silver

I think it is interesting that people are referring to Kratos and Drake as mascots for the PSN. Kratos and Drake are not really used to promote anything outside their own games.

Working On:
    "Fallout: New Vegas [Ultimate Edition]" - 59%,
    "Devil May Cry 3" - 14%,
    "Dead Storm Pirates" - 52% (3/5 S Rank)

Check Those Corners

I think Nathan Drake and Kratos are the "mascots" for sony right now, espicially when most people buy ps3s to mostly play Uncharted and God of War. I know several people who bought the ps3 for those, then I lured them into other brilliant games. But yeah, if they brought Toro and Kuro to the united states, it would be laughed at by ignorant xbox fanboys.

PRO Member

I wouldn't mind either way but if it was as awesomely random as the Simpsons interpretation of Japanese ads, then I'm all in

Sorry for low-quality link...the best one was removed by Fox

NSFW

They may not make mascot material in the western world, but that doesn't mean we can't make games or shows here in english. It seems relatively entertaining and here in the western this is a hit game (it's on the wii though, but still...) :

I can't see what it is harming.

Sig made by Beam. Platbar by Thunder.

Sig made by Beam.
    Platbar made by Thunder.

INTJ

also they are the best characters in street fighter x tekken (if you hate them learn how to use them for godlike masterful trolling)

Lvl 4 - Silver

I think it would be cool if they brought them over here, they look really cute and funny. (I really want that Tales of Graces F costume!) I just think they would need to introduce Western gamers to them slowly or it could backfire on them. As for the people saying Kratos, Sackthing, and Nathan being the mascots for the PS3... I've never seen them used to promote anything except their own games...

When life gives you lemons, make orange juice and leave people wondering how the hell you did it.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    also they are the best characters in street fighter x tekken (if you hate them learn how to use them for godlike masterful trolling)
    I shall!
    Actually I was quite pleased to see they didn't cut them from the Western versions

NO blank Friend Requests will be accepted

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I guess because they don't appeal to everyone. Like myself.

Only way to know is to ask Sony themselves so why discuss it here?

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by jay_hawk12 View Post
    i really dislike those types of ppl.
    And I dislike ignoramuses like most of the people I've met from the US (both in the outside world and sites like this one), but we've got to deal with it lol.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

INTJ

did i mention toro and kuro have the best dynamic themes and not this shitty bullshit live wallpaper crap most dynamic themes are

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

Meh, you put them in charge, you alienate the dog doers, the lizard lovers, the arachnid adorers, the fish fanciers and people who like anything else in the world, so no kitties, i like you but the world will riot if you are mascots.

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by SonofSonofvenom View Post
    Meh, you put them in charge, you alienate the dog doers, the lizard lovers, the arachnid adorers, the fish fanciers and people who like anything else in the world, so no kitties, i like you but the world will riot if you are mascots.
    Why would they alienate everyone, though? It's not like everyone who is a dog/lizard/moron lover is by default a cat hater too, not to mention I don't see people hating on Lacost because their logo is a crocodile, or on Polo because their logo features a horse.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Lvl 7 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    did i mention toro and kuro have the best dynamic themes and not this shitty bullshit live wallpaper crap most dynamic themes are

To you, perhaps. To anyone not into Toro and Kuro and/or their style, it's a rather lame theme unless you're a little girl, as they don't have a clue about the Japanese following these two have, let alone that they aren't "into it" themselves. If I saw that as the ps+ theme of the month, I'd probably curse at my tv for trying to give me crap like that, just because it's far from being my thing.

Nothing wrong with liking it, but it's not going to appeal to the masses.

MY PLATINUM CARD ONLY ANIMATES IF YOU'RE USING FIREFOX, AS IT'S AN ANIMATED PNG FILE

The One and Only

Meh, I'm not interested in it. Let's have a poll of how many people outside of Japan would want it and see what the results look like.

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig, Avy, and Bar Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist getting revived soon!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop, currently open!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

Why would they alienate everyone, though? It's not like everyone who is a dog/lizard/moron lover is by default a cat hater too, not to mention I don't see people hating on Lacost because their logo is a crocodile, or on Polo because their logo features a horse.

Not intended to be taken seriously, i don't have the vocabulary to make that clear, hehe.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12