Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Why do you love trophies?

This is a discussion on Why do you love trophies? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Originally Posted by gamelord-2007 Here are some my reasons why I enjoy trophy hunting (I say some because there are ...

Regional Manager of War

Quote Originally Posted by gamelord-2007 View Post
    Here are some my reasons why I enjoy trophy hunting (I say some because there are bound to be reasons for me liking trophy hunting that I can't think of off the top of my head):

1. Extends the life of a game
    2. Lets me do stuff that I otherwise would never have bothered with before such as easter egg trophies.
    3. Makes a fun game even more enjoyable.
    4. Gives me a feeling of accomplishment especially if it is a rare plat.

And lastly..

5. Because I like hearing the unforgettable "ding" sound when a trophy pops .
    ^right here, I'm glad I typed in trophy guide in google that year because I would've never found this site

Lvl 3 - Bronze

to show off even though mine is far from spectacular
    if there was no global leaderboard of ANY sorts I would not bother at all with them

Up the Irons!

Well, I no longer have an interest in them (trophies), but when I did, it was for a simple reason: I'm VERY competitive.

Toggle Spoiler

"Nobody wants him, He just stares at the world,
    Planning his vengeance, That he will soon unfurl"
    - Iron Man by Black Sabbath

"You tell me what is honesty,
    When all around is death and cruelty"
    - Mother of Mercy by Iron Maiden

PRO Member

I love collecting trophies because it gives you a great sense of 100% accomplishment. It is a great feeling when you get a plat after 70-100 hours o gameplay. This in turn also extends the life of the game just like gamelord said.

Sig by Bladia

Local Drunk

I don't love them or really care about them. Although I do like the ding they make.

Awesomely awesome sig by Beam & social group bar by DaRe
    The Local Drunk's Experience With Trophies

PRO-M Thanks 2 NeroRadec!

I love trophies because they give some replay value / something to do for games, they are also challenging and satisfying when earning, & a good profile can really say something about yourself.

Signature by DaRe_xLw

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I like to compete with a few of friends in collecting them plus I feel I get more out of each game.

Trophy Guide Grand Master

I personally view my love of trophies as a hobby, much like collecting football cards and what not. I'm playing the games anyway so I might as well see how many games I can get platinums on to make my trophy collection larger right? Similar with the Checklists we all make, to me those are like a display case without having to stick each individual football card inside those irritating plastic sheets to keep them looking nice. You can view them and compare them with friends and they take up absolutely no space at all so you don't have to worry about your significant other (or parents) yelling at you that you have too many...or that you are being a hoarder..

Also I feel that since they started trophies on the PS3, I find myself branching out and trying a lot of games I normally wouldn't have bothered trying just to try and collect more trophies, which has led me to some really great games....and unfortunately some really...really bad ones

In addition to that I get a great sense of accomplishment when I finally get to the last trophy of a game and hear that final ding as the Platinum pops up on screen, which is why the Hoff never cheats his way towards the platinums by using glitches and what not....

Game on....

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotically-Epic View Post
    I love trophies because they give some replay value / something to do for games, they are also challenging and satisfying when earning, & a good profile can really say something about yourself.
    I agree with you. It takes dedication, patience, devotion and skill to earn platinum trophies. Especially those hardcore plats that put most gamers off achieving because they are very difficult or time consuming. I hate it when someone says trophy collecting / hunting is a sad waste of time for people who just play games all day. I play games between 2 to 4 hours a day, however i don't watch TV.

PRO Member

Like Hoff said, trophy hunting is a hobby for many of us. For me, it is a great hobby that beats watching bad reality shows anytime. As a lifelong gamer I got hooked on these trophies very quickly.
    Why do I love trophies? It shows what I've done and even a little bit of who I am. It shows what types of games and trophies I enjoy hunting and what games I value above others. (Example: Few FPSs but loads of RPGs.) My Platinums are a great sense of accomplishment and happiness when the final "Ding!" shows up. Every trophy and collection tells a story if you look hard enough. Hopefully, mine tells a good one.

Avy and 10K Checklist Elite Bar by DaRe

"It's not the critic who counts. The credit goes to the man who is actually in the arena." --
    Theodore Roosevelt.

I don't expect to win an argument when I'm outnumbered -- but sometimes you just have to stand.

R.I.P Ps3 02/01/14 :(

For me,it gets the most out of the game and like others have said it prolongs the enjoyment of the game (providing the game is enjoyable in the first place) as enjoying what your playing is paramount for me and if you arent enjoying the game,then the trophys would make you carry on where normally you would put the game back in its box (depending on the game) and get rid.The trophys force me to play games which ever way i look at it and so far im quite happy with my collection and yeah,ive played some stinking games but got a shiny platinum trophy for my troubles as im not keen on seeing to many non completed games in my profile (thanks ps3t for that ) but most of my collection of games ive loved playing and loved them games even more so thanks to trophys

Sig and avy by the awesomely talented stupot00 and GDT bar by the excellent djunglist

Synthwave <3

Thanks so much everyone for all of the responses! There are a lot of good reasons on here and I would have to say I personally agree with all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveyHasselhoff View Post
    Also I feel that since they started trophies on the PS3, I find myself branching out and trying a lot of games I normally wouldn't have bothered trying just to try and collect more trophies, which has led me to some really great games....and unfortunately some really...really bad ones
    I absolutely agree. I never would have played certain games if it weren't for the trophies. I've found some fun games this way. I also wouldn't have spent as much time playing certain games and challenging myself if trophies didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless-Enigma View Post
    I agree with you. It takes dedication, patience, devotion and skill to earn platinum trophies. Especially those hardcore plats that put most gamers off achieving because they are very difficult or time consuming. I hate it when someone says trophy collecting / hunting is a sad waste of time for people who just play games all day. I play games between 2 to 4 hours a day, however i don't watch TV.
    I don't like it when people say it's a waste of time either. I think playing games and collecting trophies opens up your mind to think more clearly. I think certain games (like Portal 2) should actually be used in the classroom as they can teach good problem-solving skills.

Sig by PixieofDarkness
    Platbar by djunglist

My trophy checklist

Latest :

The Last of Us

Huge Skip Bayless fan.

becaues i have a permanent reminder of how far i have gone/how much i have accomplished in a game. also its the best way i can get the most out of my money

Formerly known as UrbanHellraiser

Lvl 7 - Gold

it's hard to explain WHY, i just love that "DING" sound

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I just get em because I wouldn't play the games in any other w these days, plus it really bugs me if I haven't got the plat on the game, that's why I intend on finishing pretty much all games on my account plus the ding of the plat when you know its all done!

Lvl 7 - Gold

I love trophies for the sound when they pop up and for the accomplishment if you get one.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12