Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

PS4 Codenamed Orbis; Will block used games

This is a discussion on PS4 Codenamed Orbis; Will block used games within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Originally Posted by Orange-Vision personally i'd rather see gamestop/eb games go out of business, there the major problem and all ...

Lvl 10 - Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by Orange-Vision View Post
    personally i'd rather see gamestop/eb games go out of business, there the major problem and all they do is rip people off, i sell all my games through online classifieds and get realisitc prices, but then you have people going in trading there game in they spent 67 on for like $20, then someone comes and decides to buy pre=owned for $5 cheaper which is ultimately whats hurting the devs. My question is why the developers support places liek eb games and gamestop, giving them pre-order incentives and store specific crap, while they screw over the consumer who isn't the real problem. What they should be doing is hitting the used game retailers, but instead there going to screw us over, which in the end is going to hurt next-gen sales.
    then dont buy from gamestop, there are plenty of other places to get used games from, i dont generally shop at gamestop but they are allowed to sell things for whatever price they want, as long as people buy them they will stay in business, thats the name of the game in retail, make as much profit as possible

Bringing the PAIN

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    >Uses PC-Style Architecture

>USES AMD BULLSHIT

seriously

sony, move over to intel or nvidia. AMD is slowly crumbling up into pieces ever since they bought and ruined ATI.

I can understand if your making a combo cpu/gpu (example: cell) but your basically making a computer with a console OS on it.

why are you doing this.
    Wait what? What the fuck does this have to do with the subject in this thread? If all your doing is hating again, GTFO pl0x

Avi by:dsluckay
    Sig by:In2

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by NOFORPAIN View Post
    Wait what? What the fuck does this have to do with the subject in this thread? If all your doing is hating again, GTFO pl0x

read the article

What kind of technology will the Orbis run on? The site is reporting that developers are being told to plan for an AMD x64 CPU and AMD Southern Islands GPU, the latter of which is capable of running Orbis titles at a resolution of 4096x2160 and 3D games at 1080p. It has been previously suggested that the next-generation PlayStation would be powered by AMD technology.

sony is pulling a stupid again by going to amd instead of nvidia/intel.

Bringing the PAIN

read the article
    sony is pulling a stupid again by going to amd instead of nvidia/intel.
    But yet again thats not what being discussed here. Read the post yourself.

INTJ

But yet again thats not what being discussed here. Read the post yourself.
    this thread is talking about Orbis rumors.

im just adding into the convo.

Bringing the PAIN

this thread is talking about Orbis rumors.

im just adding into the convo.
    Well I guess subject escapes the ignorant.
    Oh well!

Lvl 6 - Silver

My question is why the developers support places liek eb games and gamestop, giving them pre-order incentives and store specific crap, while they screw over the consumer who isn't the real problem. What they should be doing is hitting the used game retailers, but instead there going to screw us over, which in the end is going to hurt next-gen sales.
    Unless you're a small/niche company such as Nippon Ichi, it gets very expensive to do all the downstream marketing, retailing, warehousing, shipping, etc. by yourself. You'll use GameStop (and Best Buy, and WalMart, and all the others) to do a lot of the work for you and to shoulder much of that cost burden in return for a cut of the profits.

Let's take a look at what GameStop does for a Sony or an Electronic Arts. They'll provide a fair amount of advertising and customer outreach as to move product. They'll do some of the warehousing for you, because they'll be keeping copies in their own distribution centers instead of yours. They'll ship the products to stores on their trucks, as opposed to the manufacturer sending out thousands of copies one-by-one to individual consumers. They'll also serve as the foot soldier and absorb some of the flak and effort that the consumer invariably gives back when a game doesn't work properly, when a game isn't what the consumer really wants to play (and therefore returns it).

For the most part, it's a symbiotic relationship that is beneficial to both sides. If one side or the other was really getting screwed, they wouldn't do business together. Both sides really want the same end result -- the end consumer forking over cash and taking the product away. It's simply easier and more cost-effective for a decent-sized developer to pay the middleman to do a lot of the legwork towards that goal.

As for "hitting the used game retailer who screws us over", a developer isn't going to do it so long as it remains at a tolerable level for said developer. The introduction of features such as "online passes" is a patchwork fix that mitigates the damages to an extent that a developer is more likely to tolerate the middleman making extra money off of used games that doesn't flow to the originator of the product. Only if there's a dramatic shift in market dynamics (e.g. everyone buying used games, with new sales dropping off a cliff) will there be a significant change in how things are run now.

At the end of the day, all of the involved parties simply want to make money.
    (this space intentionally left blank)

DON'T BLINK

Well I guess subject escapes the ignorant.
    Oh well!

Technically Ps360 is in the right on this one. Everyone is glued to the one aspect of this, but the info is in the link of the OP

Game on....

Quote Originally Posted by prarpin View Post
    Ok, I was just going to leave it at that until I saw the new posts. Your guys idea of used games hurting the developer is bullshit. For example, if I buy a new game and never sell it, all it will do is collect dust on my shelf, right? Well instead, I could resell it to somebody who maybe cannot afford to buy games at the new price. In either case the developer is not affected. The person buying used wouldn't be able to afford a new copy anyways. At least somebody else is playing the game. People of been selling and buying used for three or four decades now. It didn't hurt the developers then and it doesn't hurt them now. It is all about corporate greed: The downfall of the current generation of humans.
    Beautifully said my friend!

Crocodile Hunter

to the OP, I already know this is fake without even looking. why do you ask?

Well because of how the ps3 is now and you can play used/new on as many accounts as you want. So if they go backwards in tech for the ps4 its suicide for the product and the company. No1 will buy it and keep playing the ps3.

And im pretty sure sony is not that stupid. The majority of gamers cant afford more then 1-2 new games a month ( sitting at $60 EU/US or $100 AUS ). Also I believe (not 100% sure here) that there is laws or some shit to say that we have a right to return a good that we are not satisfied with if we feel ripped off. Unless of course it says no refunds etc. AUS has numerous departments for this sort of thing like the ACCC, department of fair trading etc

Sig by Apokolypz

Lvl 4 - Silver

If that's true, I'm switching over to Xbox/PC.

PRO Member

This is stupid. For anyone who believes this out there, neither Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo would everdo this for one reason. Gamestop. Gamestop is the largest videogame department in the world. And guess what they are famous for? You got it.....used games. Now do you really think that there would be any way in hell that Gamestop would carry a console in their store that contradicted something that they are well known for. In turn, Sony would have to be stupid after already losing this generation to make this decision, because not having the PS4 in Gamestop could potentially kill off the playstation. Trust me.....many people would rather buy a xbox from Gamestop than a PS4 from Wallmart.

Sig by Bladia

Game on....

Quote Originally Posted by Ahmed_Mans View Post
    If that's true, I'm switching over to Xbox/PC.
    I heard the next xbox will be doing the same thing and also getting rid of physical retail games by eliminating discs.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by skidmarkgn View Post
    Are you're arguing that selling through an online classified doesn't hurt the devs. and trade-ins through a retailer does? Just because you got more money for your game by doing that it doesn't mean that the developers aren't being hurt by it... it just means you got more money. I also don't understand why you're so against pre-order incentives. The gamer gets free additional content, the store gets additional business, and the devs. get the money their owed because the game sold new, sounds pretty win-win-win to me.
    The only people getting "ripped off" by game retailers are the ones who are letting themselves get ripped off, we do have the ability to tell them no if they offer too little for a trade in.
    do you know how small the number of people who actually sell through classifieds are compared to those who trade in/sell at ebgames games? and regardless once i've bought the game its my property to do with as I want, including selling it. Are you arguing that we as the consumer shouldn't have the right to do what we want with the product we bought? (within reason obviously)

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless-Enigma View Post
    Beautifully said my friend!
    this is really what its all about its just corporations getting greedier, if you need any more proof of that look at capcom for christ sake

edit: oops i meant to get what the guy said that he was quoting as well >.>

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by ferretbusiness View Post
    then dont buy from gamestop, there are plenty of other places to get used games from, i dont generally shop at gamestop but they are allowed to sell things for whatever price they want, as long as people buy them they will stay in business, thats the name of the game in retail, make as much profit as possible
    i usually do most of my purchases from classifieds unless i think the game is good enough to buy day one i usually by from best buy i NEVER buy from ebgames, not only are they destroying the industry but the people that work there are also really douchey for the most part and ther prices and ridiculous but i'm sure most people already know that

Lvl 7 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by prarpin View Post
    So far, it's all speculation. If this rumor does come to light, I know one person who will never own a PS4.

Ok, I was just going to leave it at that until I saw the new posts. Your guys idea of used games hurting the developer is bullshit. For example, if I buy a new game and never sell it, all it will do is collect dust on my shelf, right? Well instead, I could resell it to somebody who maybe cannot afford to buy games at the new price. In either case the developer is not affected. The person buying used wouldn't be able to afford a new copy anyways. At least somebody else is playing the game. People of been selling and buying used for three or four decades now. It didn't hurt the developers then and it doesn't hurt them now. It is all about corporate greed: The downfall of the current generation of humans.
    You describe the one scenario like it's the only way it works but there are also plenty of people out there who can afford to buy new but choose to buy used instead to save a buck. There have been companies out there that have crunched the numbers and figured out how much money they've lost through used sales and it's a pretty large number.
    I'm not against used sales mind you, I just don't think it's 'greedy' for a developer to want to get paid for their efforts. Pretty much every person alive that has a job operates the same way, they go to work to make money. Just so happens that making games is their (the developers) version of work.

Lvl 7 - Gold

do you know how small the number of people who actually sell through classifieds are compared to those who trade in/sell at ebgames games? and regardless once i've bought the game its my property to do with as I want, including selling it. Are you arguing that we as the consumer shouldn't have the right to do what we want with the product we bought? (within reason obviously)
    I'm not saying that at all, I'm saying that the used market affects the developers regardless of how the transaction is completed. A small percentage is still a percentage.

Resident PHD

Alright enough is enough I think we are missing the most important thing about this whole thread I use an underscore not a dash in my name.

Also does being the leader of a bunch of idiots come with any fringe benefits, because it seems like a lot of work for little to no pay

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

Lvl 6 - Silver

I really hope this isn't true. I, like many others, tend to only buy used games. I will stop at ps3 if this happens and it will be my last console. I know this makes me sound like a petulent kid but I can not justify spending 50+ on an 8hour movie *which is what games of today are*. If they were more reasonably priced, this would not be an issue to me, like DVD's etc (as I've said before), but 50+ for a game is ridiculous.

Lower the prices = more sales = better off devs and better off gamers.

Games industry today is a joke:
    Online passes
    DLC for the fucking ENDING (see Capcom's Asura's Wrath...or ME3)
    Style over substance
    Pre-order bonuses from different retailers
    Re-releasing same game a seperate editions - any fighting game, again, looking at you Capcom

in fact the more this carries on, the more I think I might stop at the PS3 and just get a better hobby :/

edit: ... or a life
    PSN ID: nookie_egg [GMT]
    Feel free to add me if you want, just send me a message that you're from here and what you are interested in boosting if necessary BUT PLEASE, NO BLANK FRIEND REQUESTS.
    Boosting online trophies of:
    NFS THE RUN [co-op], BIOSHOCK 2 [level 40]
    Thanks to EVERYONE who helps boosting sessions!
    [

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast