Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 102

PS4 Codenamed Orbis; Will block used games

This is a discussion on PS4 Codenamed Orbis; Will block used games within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Originally Posted by Nookie_Egg I really hope this isn't true. I, like many others, tend to only buy used games. ...

  1. #41
    Game on....
    Timeless-Enigma's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,915
    Reputation
    348

    Quote Originally Posted by Nookie_Egg View Post
    I really hope this isn't true. I, like many others, tend to only buy used games. I will stop at ps3 if this happens and it will be my last console. I know this makes me sound like a petulent kid but I can not justify spending 50+ on an 8hour movie *which is what games of today are*. If they were more reasonably priced, this would not be an issue to me, like DVD's etc (as I've said before), but 50+ for a game is ridiculous.

    Lower the prices = more sales = better off devs and better off gamers.

    Games industry today is a joke:
    Online passes
    DLC for the fucking ENDING (see Capcom's Asura's Wrath...or ME3)
    Style over substance
    Pre-order bonuses from different retailers
    Re-releasing same game a seperate editions - any fighting game, again, looking at you Capcom

    in fact the more this carries on, the more I think I might stop at the PS3 and just get a better hobby :/

    edit: ... or a life
    I know how you feel and i would imagine a lot of other gamers feel the same way. I wish DLC would disappear completely, along with the dreaded online passes!

  2. #42
    PRO Member
    mattveego's Avatar


    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Your kitchen cupboard
    Posts
    1,379
    Reputation
    73

    Quote Originally Posted by dr_mayus View Post
    Alright enough is enough I think we are missing the most important thing about this whole thread I use an underscore not a dash in my name.

    Also does being the leader of a bunch of idiots come with any fringe benefits, because it seems like a lot of work for little to no pay
    Your comment just made my day.

    Sig by Bladia


  3. #43
    Lvl 6 - Silver
    Nookie_Egg's Avatar


    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    489
    Reputation
    7

    Quote Originally Posted by Orange-Vision View Post
    do you know how small the number of people who actually sell through classifieds are compared to those who trade in/sell at ebgames games? and regardless once i've bought the game its my property to do with as I want, including selling it. Are you arguing that we as the consumer shouldn't have the right to do what we want with the product we bought? (within reason obviously)
    Just so you know, Sony still owns your PS3. This was part of the bullshit surrounding the Jailbreak fiasco a few months ago. They claim that it remains the property of Sony and the end user is essentially loaning it off them. Off Topic but just pointing it out.


    And thank you for agreeing Timeless-Enigma, glad I wasn't talking bollocks
    PSN ID: nookie_egg [GMT]
    Feel free to add me if you want, just send me a message that you're from here and what you are interested in boosting if necessary BUT PLEASE, NO BLANK FRIEND REQUESTS.
    Boosting online trophies of:
    NFS THE RUN [co-op], BIOSHOCK 2 [level 40]
    Thanks to EVERYONE who helps boosting sessions!
    [


  4. #44
    Lvl 7 - Gold
    skidmarkgn's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    621
    Reputation
    31

    Quote Originally Posted by Nookie_Egg View Post
    I really hope this isn't true. I, like many others, tend to only buy used games. I will stop at ps3 if this happens and it will be my last console. I know this makes me sound like a petulent kid but I can not justify spending 50+ on an 8hour movie *which is what games of today are*. If they were more reasonably priced, this would not be an issue to me, like DVD's etc (as I've said before), but 50+ for a game is ridiculous.

    Lower the prices = more sales = better off devs and better off gamers.

    Games industry today is a joke:
    Online passes
    DLC for the fucking ENDING (see Capcom's Asura's Wrath...or ME3)
    Style over substance
    Pre-order bonuses from different retailers
    Re-releasing same game a seperate editions - any fighting game, again, looking at you Capcom

    in fact the more this carries on, the more I think I might stop at the PS3 and just get a better hobby :/

    edit: ... or a life
    I'm going a bit off topic here but I can't help myself.

    Online passes - (IMO) not that big of a deal, 99% of the time you're still paying less than you would new anyways
    DLC for the ending - Both of your examples are (again IMO) flawed. Asura's Wrath closed the story arc that drove the game and opened another one at the very end that will get resolved through the DLC and ME3 is bioware giving people what they want... there's no way that you could have missed all the ending drama for that game
    Style over substance - I'll give you that one
    Re-releasing - I'll give you that one too, just don't buy.

    Like you said, the best thing you can do is talk with your wallet. I don't see anything in your list myself that is worth giving up the hobby as a whole but more power to you if you do.

  5. #45
    MK Plat = Overrated


    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    551
    Reputation
    54

    This whole argument is starting to sound like government politicians bickering. It's getting ridiculous. You know what? Everybody can go pound sand up their asses!


  6. #46
    Lvl 2 - Bronze
    Aratark's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Normally at work
    Posts
    88
    Reputation
    4

    Quote Originally Posted by Orange-Vision View Post
    do you know how small the number of people who actually sell through classifieds are compared to those who trade in/sell at ebgames games? and regardless once i've bought the game its my property to do with as I want, including selling it. Are you arguing that we as the consumer shouldn't have the right to do what we want with the product we bought? (within reason obviously)

    You don't own the game, you own the medium it comes on, you have licensed use of the software. So yes, they can restrict what you can do with it, because you don't have a license to sell it on. So a Dev/Sony are quite within their rights to ensure that you can't do that. Whether it is a good PR move is a different question.
    I was thinking about boasting about my :plat:'s and 100%'s, but then I thought why bother, not like they're anything amazing.

    YLOD: 9/10/11. RIP

  7. #47
    Game on....
    Timeless-Enigma's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,915
    Reputation
    348

    Quote Originally Posted by prarpin View Post
    This whole argument is starting to sound like government politicians bickering. It's getting ridiculous. You know what? Everybody can go pound sand up their asses!
    This is a forum, a place of free speech!! That sand thingy sounds quite irritating so i will give that a miss if you dont mind.

  8. #48
    MK Plat = Overrated


    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    551
    Reputation
    54

    Quote Originally Posted by Timeless-Enigma View Post
    This is a forum, a place of free speech!! That sand thingy sounds quite irritating so i will give that a miss if you dont mind.
    I was giving a crack at humor, pun intended. Damnit! Fail!


  9. #49
    Lvl 6 - Silver
    AJL_LEYJA's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    501
    Reputation
    5

    yeah i agree with you there are a few haters ive encountered in this forum am not gonna name em they know who they are and this move is bad for consumers and eventhough its a rumor i hope that it wont be true

  10. #50
    Lvl 7 - Gold
    skidmarkgn's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    621
    Reputation
    31

    Quote Originally Posted by prarpin View Post
    I was giving a crack at humor, pun intended. Damnit! Fail!
    Man... I wish you would have said that before I went and... well, lets just say I gotta go do some washing.

  11. #51
    MK Plat = Overrated


    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    551
    Reputation
    54

    Quote Originally Posted by skidmarkgn View Post
    Man... I wish you would have said that before I went and... well, lets just say I gotta go do some washing.
    Ouch! Use aloe after you're done. It will sooth things a bit. Maybe some hemorrhoid cream will be called for.


  12. #52
    Bringing the PAIN
    NOFORPAIN's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida USA
    Posts
    857
    Reputation
    58

    Quote Originally Posted by prarpin View Post
    This whole argument is starting to sound like government politicians bickering. It's getting ridiculous. You know what? Everybody can go pound sand up their asses!
    Well everyone knows all politicians are completely stuck up their own ass and idiots so... ya thats about right... :stare:


    Avi by:dsluckay
    Sig by:In2

  13. #53
    Regional Manager of War
    Admiral_Awesome91's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Empire City
    Posts
    1,677
    Reputation
    80

    Quote Originally Posted by Kid_Loser View Post
    Its perfectly understandable why Sony or any other company wants to block used games. If you do not support a Dev or Publisher, why should they support you?
    If this happens than price drops should happen faster because last time I checked paying $60 for a game kinda sucks because alot of games these days don't deserve that price tag. I hate online passes so much but I am very fortunate that I have avoided it for this long but after awhile it will catch up to me. If they want to stop used game sales than drop the price of games faster not destroy the used game market.

  14. #54
    DON'T BLINK
    Koimia's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Adams, WI
    Posts
    1,363
    Reputation
    80

    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral_Awesome91 View Post
    If this happens than price drops should happen faster because last time I checked paying $60 for a game kinda sucks because alot of games these days don't deserve that price tag. I hate online passes so much but I am very fortunate that I have avoided it for this long but after awhile it will catch up to me. If they want to stop used game sales than drop the price of games faster not destroy the used game market.

    Here's the rub. Dev's don't have any say in what the prices are. They don't drop the prices, they don't make up the used price. Nothing. Sure they can offer a MSRP (manufacture suggested retail price) but in the end it is up to the store company (ie Gamestop or Target or whatever) to set the price. This is why you can go into Gamestop on any given day and get Final Fantasy 13-2 for $39.99 and it is still $59.99 at Target.

  15. #55
    Lvl 1 - Bronze


    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    28
    Reputation
    0

    This is a really dumb, anti-consumer idea, if it's true. Used games are such a huge market it's not even funny. They account for huge legitimate profits on eBay, Amazon, etc. If someone makes a system that won't accept used games, then users will result to just throwing away games they don't want anymore. That's a lot of unnecessary waste.

    I highly doubt Sony or Microsoft would make such a move.

    I also highly doubt a new console will be out next year as Sony considers the PS3 a 10-year system. We'll see.

  16. #56
    Regional Manager of War
    Admiral_Awesome91's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Empire City
    Posts
    1,677
    Reputation
    80

    Quote Originally Posted by Koimia View Post
    Here's the rub. Dev's don't have any say in what the prices are. They don't drop the prices, they don't make up the used price. Nothing. Sure they can offer a MSRP (manufacture suggested retail price) but in the end it is up to the store company (ie Gamestop or Target or whatever) to set the price. This is why you can go into Gamestop on any given day and get Final Fantasy 13-2 for $39.99 and it is still $59.99 at Target.
    I guess I just learned something today, and wow Target us slacking right now

    Quote Originally Posted by patzivota View Post
    This is a really dumb, anti-consumer idea, if it's true. Used games are such a huge market it's not even funny. They account for huge legitimate profits on eBay, Amazon, etc. If someone makes a system that won't accept used games, then users will result to just throwing away games they don't want anymore. That's a lot of unnecessary waste.
    10 year doesn't mean the PS3 will be the only Sony console until 2016, the PS1 came out 1995 and Sony stoped making products for it as soon as the PS3 was released.

  17. #57
    Check Those Corners
    CallmeNasty's Avatar


    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1,541
    Reputation
    45

    Its just a rumor. If its true, I'll say fuck you to the greedy pricks and stay on my playstation 3. But thats only if its true, if sony doesnt put any bullshit clauses onto the new console I will gladly purchase one first chance I get.


  18. #58
    Lvl 9 - Gold
    eternalunderdog's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    The kennel
    Posts
    1,215
    Reputation
    67

    Quote Originally Posted by Orange-Vision View Post
    Basically my opinion is that they were testin the consumer with the onilne pass crap and that if they were to block used games altogether it would just be another level of that. I as the conusmer could care less about the developers problems, I just buy their games. You can't use the argument "o well without online passes they lose money and would shut down." sure developers lose money from used games, but used games have been going on for what, like the last 10 years+ easily? And yet gaming is still a massive, MASSIVE industry. People defending the devlopers are shooting themselves in the foot and are basically saying there okay with spending more to get less, which I wouldn't give a shit about if it didn't affect me. Unfortunately as its being hinted, its going to screw us all over. And with regards to you saying i'm being a prick, its a video game forum, not to be offensive but I could really careless what people on here think of me, I'm just voicing my opinion and you can all accept or reject it, but then you had dr-mayus and his troll brigade come and start attacking me, so the hell with the douche.

    Every Game Studio That’s Closed Down Since 2006 | Kotaku Australia

    Because I'm an a**.
    "I do not agree with a word you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."- Voltaire

    The First Wrestling Platinum Grand Slam Winner on PS3Trophies.com

    Trophy Checklist: http://www.ps3trophies.com/forums/tr...-doghouse.html

  19. #59
    INTJ
    Ps360's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    12,268
    Reputation
    310

    before anything thinks the codename project is fake


    notice how this works
    http://orbis.scedev.net/


    but this doesn't
    http://xbox720.scedev.net/




    also tons of people are calling this to be the death of consoles/the 2nd Gaming Crash across the internets because of this and the xbox rumors.


    makes the wii u sound like a fucking godsend


    at least on the PC i get backwards compatibilty back to the 70s and i can buy drm-free games and share them with friends.

  20. #60
    Indie Game Developer
    Jakintosh's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    474
    Reputation
    23

    Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    also tons of people are calling this to be the death of consoles/the 2nd Gaming Crash across the internets because of this and the xbox rumors.
    This next console gen was dead on arrival. That's not where the customers and the money are going. They need to think of a way to evolve gaming, not game consoles. The console format is dying. It should be gone in 5 years, and unless Sony and Microsoft have some real tricks up their sleeve, these consoles will be falling out of the gates. I've been a hardcore gamer and PlayStation guy for years, but I really don't think I'll be getting a next gen console, even though I work in the industry. I don't see any money (or customers) on consoles in the future, so I'm not going to focus on that platform.

    I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
    Hey. Hey. Look. Look at me. I'm playing video games.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:55 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.10
Copyright © 2018 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO