Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

PS4 Codenamed Orbis; Will block used games

This is a discussion on PS4 Codenamed Orbis; Will block used games within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Hey all, so a while ago I posted a forum about why online passes sucked and why we should fight ...

Lvl 2 - Bronze

PS4 Codenamed Orbis; Will block used games

Hey all, so a while ago I posted a forum about why online passes sucked and why we should fight against them, and I remember of bunch of idiots on the forum, I think led by a guy named dr-mayus, went super troll on me because apparently they enjoy bending over and getting screwed over by corporate, but anyways its now come up that ps4 is going to limit games to only be played on one account, I knew this crap was only going to get worse and of course it did, but dope nope nope this is a good thing according to some people (stupid people?),but those people who were defendin it before i'm sure will be stupid enough to try and defend this, heres the link.

Next PlayStation to lock out used games - GameSpot.com

Retired Staff Member

Important to note that this is all a rumor.

PRO Member

People having an opinion or disagreement does not make them 'stupid' or 'idiots'... but thanks for the link. And as Bounce says, this is just one (possibly true) bit of information about a console that has not yet been announced.

Lvl 8 - Gold

Just a rumor. I doubt Sony will block used games by making players be online all the time while playing. A lot of PS3 owners out there don't have broadband internet connections. Even those who do can have problems with their ISPs, preventing them to play.

Until Sony confirms or denies this, it's all made up.

PRO Member

Lots of unconfirmed rumors and anonymous sources in this article... Too many for me to take it seriously (sorry, but there are 4 major bombs in that Kotaku article).

At face value a logical argument could be made for Sony to try this, the reality starts diverging away from that as I am not sure there is alot of success in this model. The problem is this route falls under various DMCA and DRM laws, not to mention the public opinion factors in here. I think I've said repeatedly that Pub/Devs have a right to ensure they get properly compensated but they can't hinder the inherent freedoms of trading what we physically own.

I'll pull a quote from the Free Software Foundation founder Richard Stallman, while its referring to open source and not this, I feel the idea is the same...

"Free software” is a matter of liberty, not price. “Free” as in “free speech,” not as in “free beer."

The big difference here, for me, is that online pass doesn't really hurt your "free speech," its a service controlling mechanism. You can still sell your game as you please and all you are (theoretically) forbidden from is the additional content service. There is some gray area there, but the critical content is not touched and you are still able to exchange that as your freedom.

These programs will fail because they hinder a basic freedom.

Also, Orange, I'd stop being a prick. Most of what Dr. Mayus and the various others who were saying OP wasn't a big deal was that if you buy the games new then you lose nothing. Meanwhile if you buy via used you have to pay what the game would cost new anyway, meaning you aren't really being fucked over (particularly considering your used purchase is already screwing over the Pub).

It exists in an area that really isn't unethical or immoral from a business angle, in poor taste? Maybe. But you aren't really being fucked for not getting angry over it. Publishers/Developers have a right to ensure they are properly compensated for their work.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

Jay
    ಠ_ಠ

Quote Originally Posted by Bounce View Post
    Important to note that this is all a rumor.
    Basically this.

If it's true, then it's a problem, but at the minute we can't really get angry because it's all just speculation.

Also, name dropping? This thread could go downhill quickly...

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Basically this.

If it's true, then it's a problem, but at the minute we can't really get angry because it's all just speculation.

Also, name dropping? This thread could go downhill quickly...
    This. Just ask that Chicken Parmesan guy or whatever he's called.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

lets hope to god its jst a rumor but there was also so heavy talk about the next xbox also blocking used games so thats what scared me the most.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Gauss View Post
    Lots of unconfirmed rumors and anonymous sources in this article... Too many for me to take it seriously (sorry, but there are 4 major bombs in that Kotaku article).

At face value a logical argument could be made for Sony to try this, the reality starts diverging away from that as I am not sure there is alot of success in this model. The problem is this route falls under various DMCA and DRM laws, not to mention the public opinion factors in here. I think I've said repeatedly that Pub/Devs have a right to ensure they get properly compensated but they can't hinder the inherent freedoms of trading what we physically own.

I'll pull a quote from the Free Software Foundation founder Richard Stallman, while its referring to open source and not this, I feel the idea is the same...

"Free software” is a matter of liberty, not price. “Free” as in “free speech,” not as in “free beer."

The big difference here, for me, is that online pass doesn't really hurt your "free speech," its a service controlling mechanism. You can still sell your game as you please and all you are (theoretically) forbidden from is the additional content service. There is some gray area there, but the critical content is not touched and you are still able to exchange that as your freedom.

These programs will fail because they hinder a basic freedom.

Also, Orange, I'd stop being a prick. Most of what Dr. Mayus and the various others who were saying OP wasn't a big deal was that if you buy the games new then you lose nothing. Meanwhile if you buy via used you have to pay what the game would cost new anyway, meaning you aren't really being fucked over (particularly considering your used purchase is already screwing over the Pub).

It exists in an area that really isn't unethical or immoral from a business angle, in poor taste? Maybe. But you aren't really being fucked for not getting angry over it. Publishers/Developers have a right to ensure they are properly compensated for their work.
    Basically my opinion is that they were testin the consumer with the onilne pass crap and that if they were to block used games altogether it would just be another level of that. I as the conusmer could care less about the developers problems, I just buy their games. You can't use the argument "o well without online passes they lose money and would shut down." sure developers lose money from used games, but used games have been going on for what, like the last 10 years+ easily? And yet gaming is still a massive, MASSIVE industry. People defending the devlopers are shooting themselves in the foot and are basically saying there okay with spending more to get less, which I wouldn't give a shit about if it didn't affect me. Unfortunately as its being hinted, its going to screw us all over. And with regards to you saying i'm being a prick, its a video game forum, not to be offensive but I could really careless what people on here think of me, I'm just voicing my opinion and you can all accept or reject it, but then you had dr-mayus and his troll brigade come and start attacking me, so the hell with the douche.

DON'T BLINK

Quote Originally Posted by Orange-Vision View Post
    Basically my opinion is that they were testin the consumer with the onilne pass crap and that if they were to block used games altogether it would just be another level of that. I as the conusmer could care less about the developers problems, I just buy their games. You can't use the argument "o well without online passes they lose money and would shut down." sure developers lose money from used games, but used games have been going on for what, like the last 10 years+ easily? And yet gaming is still a massive, MASSIVE industry. People defending the devlopers are shooting themselves in the foot and are basically saying there okay with spending more to get less, which I wouldn't give a shit about if it didn't affect me. Unfortunately as its being hinted, its going to screw us all over. And with regards to you saying i'm being a prick, its a video game forum, not to be offensive but I could really careless what people on here think of me, I'm just voicing my opinion and you can all accept or reject it, but then you had dr-mayus and his troll brigade come and start attacking me, so the hell with the douche.
    you were butthurt enough to drop names

as for the subject at hand, it's all speculative at this point and so it is moot until confirmed or denied.

Indie Game Developer

Cool, so we start the first real "Next Playstation" thread, and Mr. Orange here turns it into a hate thread. Anyone want to make a new thread based purely on the announcement where we can just talk about the new system?
    Hey. Hey. Look. Look at me. I'm playing video games.

Korean Girl Group Groupie

It'll be interesting if in fact, this used game block does happen to see how many of the people who say they will quit gaming actually do. I highly doubt a large percentage actually will, I don't exactly expect an entire generation of people who grew up with video games to be able to quit cold turkey.

I figured that this was a possibility to happen in the future, either this option, fully digital, or more of the social gaming avenue of offering limited free content and charging for everything else. One would also have to figure, that with this being rumored for both Microsoft and Sony's upcoming consoles, that there is a strong possibility that this smoke will lead to the proverbial fire.

Time will tell what truths are hidden among this rumor mill.

Need help? Just ask (blank friend requests will always be ignored)

Lvl 4 - Silver

That's all speculation... don't believe it until it's actually confirmed.

Currently Working On- Borderlands 2 52% Resistance: Burning Skies 40%

Lvl 2 - Bronze

The problem is is that when you get a new game, all you are buying is the medium it comes on, not the actual game; that you have licensed. So the Developing/Publishing company are well within their rights to stop you selling them on. Companies that sell pre-owned games should be getting a license to sell them on.

Now I'm a big fan of the RMS quote that Gauss brought up and I'm all for the right to do what you want with something you have bought. However, as mentioned, you aren't buying the software. So if you want to see changes to this, make representations to your elected representatives to get the law changed.

Should this rumour actually turn out to be where they are going with this, what you will probably find is, for a small fee like the online pass, you will get a code that will let you play the game on a new system, a code that will probably get split between Sony/M$ and the Devs. Now, whether this will be supplied by the store you buy the game from or whether you'd have to get it from PSN/Xbox Marketplace, who knows.

While this will be a PITA for lending a game to a mate, when selling on, the devs getting a cut seems a great idea to me. If you're going to buy a pre-owned game, would you rather see Gamestop or the Dev get cash?
    I was thinking about boasting about my :plat:'s and 100%'s, but then I thought why bother, not like they're anything amazing.

YLOD: 9/10/11. RIP

Kid, not loser

Its perfectly understandable why Sony or any other company wants to block used games. If you do not support a Dev or Publisher, why should they support you?

Lvl 2 - Bronze

personally i'd rather see gamestop/eb games go out of business, there the major problem and all they do is rip people off, i sell all my games through online classifieds and get realisitc prices, but then you have people going in trading there game in they spent 67 on for like $20, then someone comes and decides to buy pre=owned for $5 cheaper which is ultimately whats hurting the devs. My question is why the developers support places liek eb games and gamestop, giving them pre-order incentives and store specific crap, while they screw over the consumer who isn't the real problem. What they should be doing is hitting the used game retailers, but instead there going to screw us over, which in the end is going to hurt next-gen sales.

MK Plat = Overrated

So far, it's all speculation. If this rumor does come to light, I know one person who will never own a PS4.

Ok, I was just going to leave it at that until I saw the new posts. Your guys idea of used games hurting the developer is bullshit. For example, if I buy a new game and never sell it, all it will do is collect dust on my shelf, right? Well instead, I could resell it to somebody who maybe cannot afford to buy games at the new price. In either case the developer is not affected. The person buying used wouldn't be able to afford a new copy anyways. At least somebody else is playing the game. People of been selling and buying used for three or four decades now. It didn't hurt the developers then and it doesn't hurt them now. It is all about corporate greed: The downfall of the current generation of humans.
    Last edited by prarpin; 03-28-2012 at 03:23 PM.

INTJ

>Uses PC-Style Architecture

>USES AMD BULLSHIT

seriously

sony, move over to intel or nvidia. AMD is slowly crumbling up into pieces ever since they bought and ruined ATI.

I can understand if your making a combo cpu/gpu (example: cell) but your basically making a computer with a console OS on it.

why are you doing this.

Lvl 7 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Orange-Vision View Post
    personally i'd rather see gamestop/eb games go out of business, there the major problem and all they do is rip people off, i sell all my games through online classifieds and get realisitc prices, but then you have people going in trading there game in they spent 67 on for like $20, then someone comes and decides to buy pre=owned for $5 cheaper which is ultimately whats hurting the devs. My question is why the developers support places liek eb games and gamestop, giving them pre-order incentives and store specific crap, while they screw over the consumer who isn't the real problem. What they should be doing is hitting the used game retailers, but instead there going to screw us over, which in the end is going to hurt next-gen sales.
    Are you're arguing that selling through an online classified doesn't hurt the devs. and trade-ins through a retailer does? Just because you got more money for your game by doing that it doesn't mean that the developers aren't being hurt by it... it just means you got more money. I also don't understand why you're so against pre-order incentives. The gamer gets free additional content, the store gets additional business, and the devs. get the money their owed because the game sold new, sounds pretty win-win-win to me.
    The only people getting "ripped off" by game retailers are the ones who are letting themselves get ripped off, we do have the ability to tell them no if they offer too little for a trade in.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast