According to Compile heart, "Game Industry" is dead

This is a discussion on According to Compile heart, "Game Industry" is dead within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Compile Heart Announces End of Game Industry -- Andriasang.com An important message from the "Game Industry" -- not the game ...

INTJ

According to Compile heart, "Game Industry" is dead

Compile Heart Announces End of Game Industry -- Andriasang.com

An important message from the "Game Industry" -- not the game industry of which this site and you are a part, but the Game Industry as in the world of Compile Heart's Neptune series (which you may or may not be a part of depending on if you've played the games).

According to the message at the Compile Heart official site, the previous fiscal year, which ended on March 31, marked the end of the Game Industry. The people of the Game Industry worked hard for a recovery, but the rising yen, censorship, illegal downloads, hacking, "stema," "negative campaign activity" (that's like when you go on Amazon and post lots of bad reviews about a game that's actually good) and a shrinking market made it impossible to continue.

This message was posted on April 2, so it's not an April Fools Day joke.

uh

i don't get what this means. is the company dead, is the game series (shitty jrpg series neptunia) dead, or they announcing something.

im confused.

Crocodile Hunter

who cares ive never heard of them before

Sig by Apokolypz

Lvl 7 - Gold

I think the company is dead??

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Ac3dUd3- View Post
    who cares ive never heard of them before
    they made some terrible jrpg that rarely anyone bought that parodies the gaming industry.

PRO Member

I have both of the Hyperdimension Neptunia games, and have messed around with both on my guest account (although have yet to start them on my main account), and find them to be a lot of fun, so this is indeed sad news...
    I don't believe the company is dead as they are a niche RPG developer, who always does very limited releases, but any hopes for a continuation of Neptunia (as opposed to an alternate story line as Mk II was to the original) seems to basically be nonexistant based on this news, I guess I can always hold out hope that fans will bombard NISA to tempt Compile Heart to make another, but I guess only time will tell.

Awesome sig by
    Kid420247! Thank you so much!!!

Many thanks to RaveNScythe18
    for the awesome platcard!!!

My Trophy List
    : Click Here

The One and Only

Never heard of them, but any company going down isn't good news (unless it a complete shit company, which I doubt this is).

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig, Avy, and Bar Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist getting revived soon!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop, currently open!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

Lvl 2 - Bronze

I agree, it is sad to see companies close, but if they made games so horribly no one bought them, well that should be expected.

I never heard of this company before.

Korean Girl Group Groupie

It's a pretty sad case when so many people are clueless to Japanese developers in this day and age, from the responses on this board. There was a time when the tables were completely turned and the Japanese developer was the overwhelming majority in the marketplace and the Western developers were the ones that when people were asked about were responded to blank looks and claims of never having heard of them.

I am going to take a guess and say that what Compile Hearts is trying to say is reflected individually, and towards the Japanese industry as a whole, considering the remarks about yen and censorship in particular. A lot can be lost in translation, even in the best of situations, so my guess is based purely on speculation.

As for the Japanese gaming industry though, I don't think they are dead yet - but they have been dying a slow death this entire console generation, with their inability to keep up with Western practices, standards, and adaptation to changes in what sells. Some companies, like Capcom and Square Enix have adjusted better than most, realizing that in order to succeed today, you need to become a more global unit, and not focus all of your capital on Japanese projects, made by Japanese developers strictly, for a Japanese preference. Luckily, in both of those gaming giant's cases they were already well established and strong entities that could handle the hits of a few mistakes along the way, and adjust without going under. Sadly for a lot of the smaller companies, who's entire investment normally hinges from game-to-game they don't have that luxury in the highly competitive market - and if their title can't make a significant enough splash, they're to go by the wayside.

I feel bad for the Japanese developer, because 10-15 years ago, it was likely a career choice that offered a bit of stability, along with individual creative output. Now, with Japanese development studios shrinking their staff, and closing so readily - it's probably a field that is losing some of their potential gaming minds to other industries. I am pretty sure that this is something that is probably preventing a lot of people entering the field, since it seems that people who work in the industry are bounced around like stand-in actors are in Los Angeles.

I feel bad for Compile Heart, and hope that this doesn't mean they are going away for good. But if it is the purpose of this statement, to announce their demise, I hope their employees are able to find new jobs, and that the company is given another chance to make games. It seems like there are too many unemployed people in the game industry as it is though.

Need help? Just ask (blank friend requests will always be ignored)

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I know of the developers and the games they made. Never played them though.

but those games were only for the major weeaboos out there from what my friend told me.