More Orbis Rumors: Direct X, Use Vita to turn the PS4 into a Wii U, Out Next year

This is a discussion on More Orbis Rumors: Direct X, Use Vita to turn the PS4 into a Wii U, Out Next year within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; PlayStation 4: Sony “confident” of pre-Xbox 720 release | VG247 Following continued reports last week that PlayStation 4 is to ...

INTJ

More Orbis Rumors: Direct X, Use Vita to turn the PS4 into a Wii U, Out Next year

PlayStation 4: Sony “confident” of pre-Xbox 720 release | VG247

Following continued reports last week that PlayStation 4 is to be based on AMD hardware and is being planned for a 2013 release, a VG247 source has said Sony is aiming to get the machine to market ahead of Microsoft’s next generation Xbox.

The design goalposts for PS4, including specs, were in place at least two years ago, we were told. Our source said that Sony is “confident” it will have the console at market ahead of the next generation Xbox next Christmas.

VG247 reported this morning that developers and publishers have been told that Xbox 720 will be released for Holiday 2013.

“Sony are completely in the belief that they have the jump on Microsoft this time,” they said. “You should be watching the timing of next year’s E3 keynotes, and who’s going to go first.”

A second source said this morning that all next-generation systems will be in place “by 2014″.

Sony has apparently already put its favoured partners in the frame as to PlayStation 4.

“Top line publishers already know about it,” our source said. “Developers working with publishers – like Ubisoft, for example – already know what’s going on. They’re already working on it.”

While “most developers” will be fully briefed “by the end of this year,” some have been invited to events in May and June in the US.

Another source has told us more information is going to be issued about PS4 to developers under NDA in May.

MCV reported earlier this year that both PS4 and Xbox 720 “will be shown at E3 2012,” but both Microsoft and Sony have both said nothing consumer-facing about the next generation will happen at the LA event this year.

Direct to drive

In addition, a rumour is circulating that PlayStation 4 will use DirectX as opposed to a proprietary Sony API. It was reported last week that PlayStation 4 will not be based on PS3′s Cell processor in any way, and will instead use standard AMD hardware.

We were told today that Crytek was scaling its tech on the assumption that PS4 was going to be using a 24-core Cell processor as opposed to the eight-core unit in PS3. The studio was forced to halt development and start afresh when it was informed PlayStation 4 won’t be using Cell at all.

Indications are that PlayStation 4 will provide a development environment similar to that of the Xbox consoles and PC.

In addition VG247 has been told that elements of Vita’s launch hardware were changed to ensure that PS4 and Vita will be able to connect in a similar style to Nintendo’s Wii U and its controller – due for release this year – with Vita’s being used to control PS4 games with both twin sticks and touch.

Last edited by Ps360; 04-02-2012 at 02:53 PM.

PRO-M Thanks 2 NeroRadec!

Well good, let's make up for our mistakes last time, get the jump early & so on. (funny pic) btw.

Signature by DaRe_xLw

Indie Game Developer

How cute, did you draw that yourself?
    Hey. Hey. Look. Look at me. I'm playing video games.

Lvl 7 - Gold

Seems like a strong machine.
    Sadly, I'm pretty positive I'm going to be switching to PC Gaming.
    Just so much better, even though I will miss a controller in my hands.
    Ps360, always love your opinions, which type of gaming do YOU think is better?
    Currently Playing:|Mass Effect 2/Insanity Run|

|Thanks Alison for the Signature.| My Youtube.

PRO-M Thanks 2 NeroRadec!

Quote Originally Posted by iToxicityHD View Post
    Same here, I already got my start & built a first rig till then.

Signature by DaRe_xLw

The One and Only

I'm looking forward to getting this sometime in the future.

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig, Avy, and Bar Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist getting revived soon!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop, currently open!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jakintosh View Post
    How cute, did you draw that yourself?
    it's based off this image

PC Gaming

can pretty much play any console game given enough time for emulators to develop (I can play wii games on my pc right now with a bluetooth dongle and the Dolphin emulator. The obvious benifit is that it's in 1080P instead of 480p like the nintendo hardware limits it to while being completely region-free. The PS3 i heard is next but it will take a few years.) Along with the tons of awesome PC Exclusives (the Indie Games and Mainstream ones like RTS Games, Total war, and More.)

Since the PS4 is going to be built like a Typical PC, I doubt the emulators will take long to appear.

too bad the rumors i have been hearing about next gen consoles combined with shit happening right now might make the entire game industry crash harder than than a fucking asteroid ramming into the earth.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Basically this means I'm getting a gaming Pc.
    Nothing against the consoles, just the new "Motion controlling, no used games, no backwards compatibility" thing sucks. And even if those end up not happening, still, a Pc seems like the option to go. It's been years since I last played a good game for Pc.

NO blank Friend Requests will be accepted

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_leyenda View Post
    Basically this means I'm getting a gaming Pc with a terrible Limited OS.

fixed it for you

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    fixed it for you
    Well, if I can play on it, I don't care...

INTJ

Well, if I can play on it, I don't care...
    i rather do everything on a pc than nothing but games.

but as i said, emulators.

soon enough Dual Boots.

Lvl 9 - Gold

i rather do everything on a pc than nothing but games.
    Well, you don't need a hugely developed OS to use a web browser, which is mainly how I use my computer, that and Microsoft Office for work, plus some other rather simple Tools for work as well. Other than that Photoshop and minor video editing. And so far I've been perfectly well with my Windows XP.

INTJ

Well, you don't need a hugely developed OS to use a web browser, which is mainly how I use my computer, that and Microsoft Office for work, plus some other rather simple Tools for work as well. Other than that Photoshop and minor video editing. And so far I've been perfectly well with my Windows XP.
    you should try to move up to windows 7 or Windows 8 when you get the chance. XP Is slowly becoming comatose and dying.

Win 7 and 8 Are pretty awesome. Windows 8 requires a bit of growing on you to like it.

Lvl 9 - Gold

you should try to move up to windows 7 or Windows 8 when you get the chance. XP Is slowly becoming comatose and dying.

Win 7 and 8 Are pretty awesome.
    I do have a computer with W7 but I don't use it much, my laptop has good old XP and I've just been lazy to upgrade given that it only has 2GB of Ram, as I said I mainly use the browser and office for work. I've been wanting to get a better one but costs money, especially here in South America.

Check Those Corners

You know you can use a wired USB ps3 controller on PC for games... for some. Same with xbox controller.