Bargain Hunt

This is a discussion on Bargain Hunt within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Hi all. Maybe itís the recession, or the fact Iím getting older, but I just canít be doing with paying ...

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Bargain Hunt

Hi all.
    Maybe itís the recession, or the fact Iím getting older, but I just canít be doing with paying £40 for new releases anymore. Consequently, Iíve been digging out some bargains at my local trade in stores that I wouldnít usually bother with. £4 for Alpha Protocol (which was surprisingly good.... at least for the price) and £5 for Call of Juarez: The Cartel.

Hunting around earlier, I came across Bodycount and Hunted: The Demons Forge, both for £6. As I havenít played either, I was hoping you good people could advise me on which (if any) is worth playing next.

Similarly, if youíve enjoyed a neglected title at a bargain bin price, please let me know.

Game on....

I always say that 'you get what you pay for' and that can be applied to games. Good games always hold a better price than games that aren't very good.

Lvl 5 - Silver

I know my gamestop has ACR for $20 and TM for $40 also B:AC is $30 all brand new too.

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless-Enigma View Post
    I always say that 'you get what you pay for' and that can be applied to games. Good games always hold a better price than games that aren't very good.
    These days that means 3-6 months before they drop 50%. If it's a game I really want, I'll pick it up 3 months after launch for £20 (about $30 AUD).

I typically wait 6-12 months and pay on average $20 AUD a game by importing from the UK. By that time, most good games can be picked up for between £12-15 or 2 for £25 on Zavvi.com or Game.co.uk. Lesser games will be about £8-10.

At the price I'm willing to pay, I buy five times as many games that I'd pay at launch in Australia and game prices decline much more slowly in Oz than the UK. So there's plenty of games on the backlog to keep me busy while I wait for the prices to drop.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless-Enigma View Post
    I agree with your logic, but poor sales are usually the cause of hastily reduced prices. And this can be a result of a non-existent marketing campaign, or a badly timed release, not necessarily the fact it’s an awful game. I would argue that Alpha Protocol isn’t 10 times worse than a full price release, despite being a tenth of the price.
    Last edited by bigstevieg85; 04-03-2012 at 04:24 AM. Reason: sp mistake

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral_Awesome91 View Post
    I kinda have the same strategy over here, I picked up DMC collection for $40 USD but I am going to rent Prototype 2 and buy it 3-6 months later for 1/3 of the price, Same goes for AC:R because now Best Buy has the game for $20 new which means I saved $40 by just waiting a few months
    The DMC collection will be one exception this year....that and Max Payne 3

Lvl 4 - Silver

I always buy games on hours to £'s spent.
    If a game gives me less than an hour to £1 then I won't buy it at all.
    If a game gives 2 hours to the £1 then I will buy it if I know I will enjoy the game.
    If a game gives 3 hours to the £1 then I may buy it at random (If I'm just looking for a new game to play). At this point it's good value for money
    If a game gives 4 hours to the £1 then I will consider getting it as a backlog game.
    If a game gives 5 hours or more to the £1 then to me it's a bargain I will get it if I know I won't hate the game (If I know I will hate the game I won't get it at all.)
    but I use that logic on anything on £20 or below. Unless I really like the game I never buy it on release

One thing I consider at really good value is on the PSN store. For £10 you get the first 3 sly raccoon games. But most game packs tend to be good value for money wheather they are on the store or on a disk.

On a quick note looking in game in the past few weeks may have been good. I got terminator salvation for £0.50, Prince of Persia for £1.50 and fifa 9 + 10 for £0.50 each. I was happy with 4 games for £3

Lvl 10 - Platinum

hunted not a spectacular game but i still had fun with it once i got used to the controls, bit of a grind getting enough gold in the crucible to purchase everything for the platinum but not that bad

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by ferretbusiness View Post
    hunted not a spectacular game but i still had fun with it once i got used to the controls, bit of a grind getting enough gold in the crucible to purchase everything for the platinum but not that bad
    Ah ill pick it up later in the week then. Thanks for the advice.

Quartercircle Forward.

I very rarely buy a brand new game; and I usually wait for a price drop. What I like to do, is buy games that are 6+ months old, they are usually very cheap. I can't be arsed to fork out €45-55 for a brand new game -_-

Sigs & Beyond [Requests].
    Want a Sig/Banner/Avatar? Click here!

Giftage
    Thanks Guys! <3

deviantART
    Awesome Sig Gifted by Prosthetic. Epic avatar by Kid420247.

-My Soul Calibur V Match Thread!-

Lvl 9 - Gold

Sadly the cheapest game I've found here in my country is one of those NBA games from '07 and even that costs like $14....I think I'll start importing them now.

NO blank Friend Requests will be accepted

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Little bit of news for anyone in the UK:
    HMV are selling pre-owned games at stupidly low prices. The following titles (and others) are all available for £5.

* Alpha Protocol
    * Resistance 2
    * WWE Smackdown Vs Raw 2010
    * Wet
    * Where The Wild Things Are
    * Blood Drive

Nothing particularly outstanding, but well worth the asking price.