PS3 Not working. Please help

This is a discussion on PS3 Not working. Please help within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; So when i open it,it doesn't show me anything.it's just a black screen.No,it's not YLOD,the light on the turn off/on ...

Lvl 4 - Silver

PS3 Not working. Please help

So when i open it,it doesn't show me anything.it's just a black screen.No,it's not YLOD,the light on the turn off/on are normal.
    It's not the HDMI cable fault,i use the same cable to play on my xbox.then i tryed the AV cables,still won't work. Help pls...

I did hold down more the power button but no changes....

Awesome Sig Made By BLADIAAAAAAA!!!!

Saints Row IV

See, i have this problem and this is what I do
    Get out the HDMI Cables from the ps3 and re-put them in it
    After a moment,the HDMI screen will apear and you will choose cables from the menu (HDMI,Scart etc.)
    If this does not work,try closing your ps3 and re-open it
    Also,have you got a fat ps3 or slim one?
    Epic avatar by PixieOfDarkness!
    Epic signature by spanishstoat

Click on my Signature to check my website

Lvl 4 - Silver

Tryed that,still no effects. It's a slim. He will be 2 years old in 3 months.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Try unplungging the AC cable for a couple of minutes, and turn off the ON/OFF button at the back.
    It will unload some electronics components

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by DjusPS View Post
    Try unplungging the AC cable for a couple of minutes, and turn off the ON/OFF button at the back.
    It will unload some electronics components
    This sounds like a good start. Are you still getting sound and/or is the HD doing anything ?

Lvl 8 - Gold

If you're not getting any sound neither it could be that the GPU is dead. I've had something similar happen to my old PS3. It turns on just fine, but all I get is a black screen and no sound.

Lvl 4 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Assassin View Post
    If you're not getting any sound neither it could be that the GPU is dead. I've had something similar happen to my old PS3. It turns on just fine, but all I get is a black screen and no sound.

No sound at all,just the BEEP when i turn it on...

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Before I get into the nitty gritty... did you hold down the power button for 5 seconds on start up. I just need to make sure that you reset factory settings and so forth(display/sound settings).

If you didn't go try that and if it absolutely doesn't work then there might be a problem elsewhere. Typically if you have a board malfunction your PS3 will display the "Yellow light". Since you didn't experience a board malfunction it might be several external issues... and if all else fails just call Sony up. Their staff can help you out for sure since they know what questions to ask.

Lvl 4 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by RathHavoc View Post
    Before I get into the nitty gritty... did you hold down the power button for 5 seconds on start up. I just need to make sure that you reset factory settings and so forth(display/sound settings).

If you didn't go try that and if it absolutely doesn't work then there might be a problem elsewhere. Typically if you have a board malfunction your PS3 will display the "Yellow light". Since you didn't experience a board malfunction it might be several external issues... and if all else fails just call Sony up. Their staff can help you out for sure since they know what questions to ask.
    I already said,i holded it down for more than 5 seconds and no,it's not the ylod.the lights are all right but there is no video receiving

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by RedBull View Post
    I already said,i holded it down for more than 5 seconds and no,it's not the ylod.the lights are all right but there is no video receiving
    I guess to be clear, you held down the power button for a long time when you powered it up, not down correct? I had a similar thing happen to me when I switched between a tv that supported 720p vs 1080p.

MK Plat = Overrated

What Darth is either forgetting to mention or just doesn't know, there is more than one step to access the trouble shoot menu on the PS3. First, hold down the power button until you hear three beeps. The initial beep followed by two beeps after. Once you release the power button, the PS3 power light should revert back to "red" or "stand-by" status.

Immediately after, hold down the power button again. This time you will hear the initial beep followed by another beep. This time the third beep should be a quick double beep. After this has occurred, your TV should display a message to connect your controller using the USB cable. Basically, this is the PS3's "Safe Mode." Hit the PS button to activate your controller.

Now the trouble shooting options should appear:

1. Restart System
    2. Restore Default Settings
    3. Restore File System
    4. Rebuild Database
    5. Restore Ps3 System
    6. System Update

Select option "3."

Using option 3 should fix the corrupt files. However, I would have an extra SATA 2.5" HDD at the ready. This is usually a precursor to the HDD failing. If it happens again within a relatively short period of time, it is definitely the HDD going bad.

If option 3 doesn't fix the issue, your HDD is already unrepairable.

I suggest replacing the HDD yourself using YouTube videos as a walkthrough to doing so. It is very easy given that you don't even need to open up the PS3.
    Good Luck!
    Last edited by prarpin; 04-06-2012 at 03:13 PM.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by prarpin View Post
    What Darth is either forgetting to mention or just doesn't know,
    Why you gotta make it personal dude?

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by DarthPhysicist View Post
    Why you gotta make it personal dude?
    Hey man, don't sweat the small stuff. I'm sure that comment wasn't meant to be a personal jab at you. He's just trying to clarify and be as thorough as possible. It was pretty cool of you to offer your suggestion(s) in the first place, so thank you for taking the time to do so.