Sony PlayStation Orbis processing specs leak(Rumor)

This is a discussion on Sony PlayStation Orbis processing specs leak(Rumor) within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Sony PlayStation Orbis processing specs leak - SlashGear The AMD A8-3850 APU features a quad-core 2.9GHz processor with integrated graphics. ...

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Sony PlayStation Orbis processing specs leak(Rumor)

Sony PlayStation Orbis processing specs leak - SlashGear

The AMD A8-3850 APU features a quad-core 2.9GHz processor with integrated graphics. It will work with the dedicated Radeon HD 7670 GPU, the HD 7670, and a DirectX 11-enabled card clocked to 1GHz with up to 1GB of dedicated VRAM. The HD 7670 is the same card that will reportedly be used in the Xbox 720, which is expected to compete head-to-head with the Orbis in discrete graphics.
    The Sony PlayStation Orbis is rumored to arrive in time for the holiday season in 2013. Select game developers have already begun working on titles for the console. The Orbis is said to not be backwards compatible with PS3 games and will be capable of displaying 4096 x 2160 resolution and play 3D games at 1080p.

illegal in 9 countries

Lack of backwards-compatibility is a problem. With a library of hundreds of PS3 games, I doubt I'll jump straight into the next generation without it.

As far as PS4 (Orbis) vs 720 (Durango)... I don't care about the head-to-head specs, I'll buy both. Trophies are more meaningful than Gamerscore, so I'll stick with Sony for everything except exclusives.

Game on....

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    Lack of backwards-compatibility is a problem. With a library of hundreds of PS3 games, I doubt I'll jump straight into the next generation without it.
    We will probably see HD collections of PS3 games for the PS4 at some point. I will play PS3 games on the PS3 and if i do decide to get a PS4, then i will have both consoles.

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless-Enigma View Post
    We will probably see HD collections of PS3 games for the PS4 at some point. I will play PS3 games on the PS3 and if i do decide to get a PS4, then i will have both consoles.
    PS3 games are already HD. It's not a massive generational gap like the PS2 to PS3, so HD collections won't happen.

The reasoning behind removing BC will be DRM.

Game on....

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    PS3 games are already HD. It's not a massive generational gap like the PS2 to PS3, so HD collections won't happen.

The reasoning behind removing BC will be DRM.
    Good point and actually i recently saw PS3 game collections out already. Like this

illegal in 9 countries

They're just cheap 2 for 1 deals on older games.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Seems it's Pc gaming for me...
    It's not like I need backwards compatibility with my PS3 still in good shape, but still, besides Trophies I don't see the PS4 as anything more than a limited gaming Pc. It has 3D but I my tv won't support it, and if they throw in motion-controlling...I hate that.

NO blank Friend Requests will be accepted

Lvl 8 - Gold

As long as the games are good I'm sticking with Sony. I wasn't disappointed so far and I doubt that'll change.

Crocodile Hunter

Backwards compatibility is a must for sony i think, they were known for it with the PS2 and then they stopped it for no real reason on the ps3.The ps3 is still great so the ps4 better have something amazing on it or i dnt think many people will rush out to buy it. sony will have to tread water carefully imo

Sig by Apokolypz

PRO Member

call me when they can finally manage 60fps at 1080p

Lvl 9 - Gold

Youd think they would go for a bit better than a 2.9gh processor sure the GPU is pretty decent but still.

backward compatibility is supposed to not be possible because they're going away from the cell processor which seemed to of caused a heap of sonys problems with people making games for them (apart from the exclusives of course)

1080p at 60 probably even like 80 FPS should be pretty easy for this.

Lvl 4 - Silver

I don't think Sony even need a new console at the moment, PS3 is still getting nice selection of games yearly and the vita only expands it's potential. Unless the PS4 is insanely good I wouldn't be buying it for 2 maybe 3 years after it comes out but I would keep my ps3. and even so no backwards compatibility isn't the end of the world simply because once the PS4 is out PS3 will start dropping price. you can get a PS2 now for under 15 so the lack of the PS2 backwards compatibility on PS3 isn't very costly.
    If Sony does make a new console then all it really needs to do is match up to the processing power of it's competitors in my opinion (basically a modern hardware upgrade). Of course nice features would be built in PVR's to record gameplay, better trophy rating system (like maybe the trophy rating change based on how many people have it or letting players vote on the trophy type), better PSN ID's competition like maybe having a national trophy leader board built into PSN and maybe starting a reward system for trophies, weather it be in avatars,themes or games

INTJ

Last edited by Ps360; 04-09-2012 at 09:31 AM.

The One and Only

I demand backwards compatibility!

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig, Avy, and Bar Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist getting revived soon!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop, currently open!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

Lvl 1 - Bronze

....damn it

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Ac3dUd3- View Post
    Backwards compatibility is a must for sony i think, they were known for it with the PS2 and then they stopped it for no real reason on the ps3. The ps3 is still great so the ps4 better have something amazing on it or i dnt think many people will rush out to buy it. sony will have to tread water carefully imo
    They had plenty of reason to stop it. #1 it was expensive as hell to try and upkeep and have Sony try and convert each game 1 at a time over, and #2, anyone that actually has a BC ps3 will tell you it didn't work, it wasn't going to work, and it was amazing Sony continued to support it for as long as they did. Those are just 2 of the many reasons they needed to stop it. Don't forget the Ps3 still supports Ps1 BC. People just need to get off the BC bandwagon. If they offer it awesome, if not who cares? Where was all the BC rampage with NES, SNES, N64, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcase, etc. No one cared back then and knew that they were buying a new system for the system's games, not to play last generation things.

But anyways..... All rumors still, but....

will be capable of displaying 4096 x 2160 resolution and play 3D games at 1080p.
    Can't wait and hope it's true.
    August 2011 Trophy Competition Winner