Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

EA Suicide Watch Thread - The company isn't sinking! It's a feature.

This is a discussion on EA Suicide Watch Thread - The company isn't sinking! It's a feature. within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Electronic Arts Exploring Sale - WSJ.com Videogame maker Electronic Arts Inc. (EA) is exploring a sale as the company struggles ...

INTJ

Electronic Arts Exploring Sale - WSJ.com

Videogame maker Electronic Arts Inc. (EA) is exploring a sale as the company struggles to grow its business amid competition from free online gaming sites, the New York Post reported, citing sources.

The paper reported EA has been approached by private-equity giants KKR and Providence Equity Partners about a potential deal.

Representatives for EA weren't immediately available for comment.

EA is the maker of such popular video games as "SimCity" and "Madden NFL" and had a market value of $4.17 billion as of Wednesday's close.

Shares climbed 17% to $15.25 in light premarket trading and are down 36% this year.

The paper quotes a source familiar with the company saying EA would do a deal at $20 a share. It last traded above that price in January.

EA has reported mixed results in recent periods as softer demand for console videogames has hurt margins and as it faces increased competition from free-access online games. Last month, EA reported fiscal first-quarter earnings fell 9% as the company's core revenue slipped.

The company is looking to transform its business model to better compete against rivals such as Zynga Inc. (ZNGA), which has expanded its business to better support Internet-based sales.

You should of listened

Rangers F.C

Some of my favourite games ever are EA

Dead Space 1 and 2
    Mass Effect series
    Need for Speed
    Fifa
    Half-life

And many more

Breakfast and Chill

Quote Originally Posted by UNCLEPAULIE View Post
    Some of my favourite games ever are EA

Dead Space 1 and 2
    Mass Effect series
    Need for Speed
    Fifa
    Half-life

And many more
    EA made Half life?

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by UNCLEPAULIE View Post
    Some of my favourite games ever are from Devs EA bought then molested
    fixed that for you

PRO-M Thanks 2 NeroRadec!

C&C: Generals 2... 'nuff said.

Signature by DaRe_xLw

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotically-Epic View Post
    C&C: Generals 2... 'nuff said.

yea EA fell to demonic scumbag level 100 with me for that.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Looking forward to this, EA has parasitized so many game companies and ruined so many series.

Watching tortanic sink was glorious as well.

INTJ

EA in Hot Water - Gather Your Party

EA is the renowned red-headed step child of the game industry. It is considered the Consumerist’s Worst Company in America for 2012, and has soured relations with Nintendo over making the Nintendo Network and Miiverse becoming Origin exclusive. To top it off, recently employees are readying a class-action lawsuit against EA.

According to Curt Feldman, and Tor Thorsen of Gamespot, a spouse of a worker at EA lashed out in a blog post against the company: “The current mandatory hours are 9am to 10pm–seven days a week– with the occasional Saturday evening off for good behavior at (6:30pm),” also stating that EA employees are given no overtime or vacation for work weeks.

Gamespot spoke to Robert C. Shubert, a partner at the San Francisco law Firm Schubert & Reed, confirming that he has started legal proceedings to a class-action lawsuit on behalf of EA employees.

Schubert told Gamespot: “We are seeking unpaid overtime for a good number of EA employees who weren’t [properly] paid, EA contends they were exempt,” and Schubert added that “we contend otherwise.”‘

In 2007, Fortune Magazine listed EA in the top rankings for places to work in software companies, and according to Kyle Orland of joystiq.com, “EA employees get five to ten free games per year, heavy discounts on games and systems, plus amenities like an on-site gym, a DVD library and stock options.” But like today, Orland also explained that EA employees “might not have time to spend any of the $60,000 starting salary,” which is not surprising, considering the 90+ hours EA employees work weekly.

The employees at EA are attempting to claim the pay they are due, which is why they are filing the class-action lawsuit. In order to begin the class-action suit, the employees must be deemed as a class by the court – Schubert says that until they can be considered a class, he can’t specify how many employees would look to take part in legal action. He explained to Gamespot that class certification is a “big battle.”

If EA employees can be defined as a class, the lawsuit against EA would be another unfavorable mark against the corporation’s reputation.
    Schubert explains that the most recent action taken by the court was a denial of a motion by EA that would have stopped class certification completely.

As attractive as EA might be according to Fortune Magazine, would you be willing to work there given the circumstances?

i love how fortune magazine claims that ea games employees get 5-10 games a year free but valve gives their employees every game on steam free of charge

Lvl 3 - Bronze

i dont think them getting shut down would benefit any gamers really. better to have them TRYING to make good games then not try at all. I still think most of their sports games are great. But NBA games will never be taken back by EA, 2k is so much better

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by jc_nz View Post
    But NBA games will never be taken back by EA, 2k is so much better
    nba jam is the only good basketball game

it's the one thing ea sports did correctly for once.

MK Plat = Overrated

Quote Originally Posted by jc_nz View Post
    i dont think them getting shut down would benefit any gamers really. better to have them TRYING to make good games then not try at all. I still think most of their sports games are great. But NBA games will never be taken back by EA, 2k is so much better
    Don't know why this is so hard for people to comprehend. EA DOESN'T MAKE GAMES. EA JUST PUBLISHES THEM.

For the love of god, if EA hit the crapper and went down the sewer, that would be good for everybody. It would allow more room for other, smaller publishers to come in. Smaller publishers = less investors to please = less crappy business practices. Maybe developers would have more freedom to make good games great when a giant publisher isn't breathing down their backs.

INTJ

let me repost this again for people who don't get it

Player Hater

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    nba jam is the only good basketball game

it's the one thing ea sports did correctly for once.
    You may not appreciate the beautiful game, but the last few iterations of FIFA are beyond compare. Have completely left PES in their week in this generation.

Resident PHD

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    i love how fortune magazine claims that ea games employees get 5-10 games a year free but valve gives their employees every game on steam free of charge
    Because Steam is digital download, so who cares how many you give away it doesn't cost Valve anything. Physical copies cost a lot more to give out because there is actually a cost associated with it.

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by dr_mayus View Post
    Because Steam is digital download, so who cares how many you give away it doesn't cost Valve anything. Physical copies cost a lot more to give out because there is actually a cost associated with it.

INTJ

EA: We will die without new IP - GameSpot.com

the title explains itself, but yea, ea officially confirmed for dying.

i probably posted this in this thread already but whatever

The Site Mascot

The only EA stuff I actually like that they publish is Bioware, Dice, Citerion Games, Visceral Games, and Need for Speed titles.

Avater and signature created by my Best Friend DaRe_xLw
    Aqua's Furry Adventures Through Time and Space.

Lvl 7 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by prarpin View Post
    Don't know why this is so hard for people to comprehend. EA DOESN'T MAKE GAMES. EA JUST PUBLISHES THEM.

For the love of god, if EA hit the crapper and went down the sewer, that would be good for everybody. It would allow more room for other, smaller publishers to come in. Smaller publishers = less investors to please = less crappy business practices. Maybe developers would have more freedom to make good games great when a giant publisher isn't breathing down their backs.
    The small publisher gets popular, becomes big publisher, and the cycle repeats.

PRO Member

Where is the Activision suicide watch? Or the Capcom one?

You know... The companies that actually are causing horrendous damage.

I know EA is no saint, but I kind of feel like this is the equivalent of ignoring Germany and Japan in World War 2 for the sake of beating up that EVIL EVIL ITALY!!!

Is EA great? No.
    Is EA bad? Not sure I'd go that far.

Also EA is a publisher, not a developer. Their job isn't to develop games, they fund game creation, I'd argue they do a fairly good job of it creating 3 major new IPs this generation.

Most of what EA does wrong is post-consumer.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

Resident PHD

Quote Originally Posted by skidmarkgn View Post
    The small publisher gets popular, becomes big publisher, and the cycle repeats.
    Actually it is more like "small publisher doesn't have the money and resources to become a big publisher. Small publisher fades into obscurity"

Let's face it, with out a big time publisher backing you that game of yours will never see commercial success (I know there are exceptions so please don't throw games like Minecraft at me)

Look at Unfinished Swan. That game was in development for 5 years before Sony came in with the money to get it made. Look at games like Bayonetta (a proven success), no one wanted to touch it so Nintendo had to come in a save it.

You may want EA gone, but you fail to realize that a lot of games would never see the big time if it wasn't for a company like EA.

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast