PS3 System Repair Help

This is a discussion on PS3 System Repair Help within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Hey guys so heres the deal, i recently came into two 80gb fat ps3's, both of them have disc read ...

Lvl 1 - Bronze

PS3 System Repair Help

Hey guys so heres the deal,
    i recently came into two 80gb fat ps3's, both of them have disc read problems...one wont read the disc period (no blue light) other one give you the blue light but no disc activation (mind you both of these are not backwards compatible.) I have two working blue ray players (from backwards compatible ps3's) plugged them in and got the system that was not showing a light now is giving it to me, and the other is still the same....only problem is neither of them will actually turn the game or movie on...any ideas as to what the problem may be? and how to make them both read the discs and run them?

My theory is that because my blu ray drives were from backwards compatible systems they arent compatible with the other models im puttin them into.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by slavezerotsa View Post
    My theory is that because my blu ray drives were from backwards compatible systems they aren't compatible with the other models im puttin them into.
    Possibly, I think the PS3's with backwards compatibility had the Emotion engine in the motherboard. Since the blu-ray itself doesn't necessarily make it backwards compatible if it came off a 20/60/80 GB nor will it make other PS3's post-20/60/80 GB, backwards compatible.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by slavezerotsa View Post
    Hey guys so heres the deal,
    i recently came into two 80gb fat ps3's, both of them have disc read problems...one wont read the disc period (no blue light) other one give you the blue light but no disc activation (mind you both of these are not backwards compatible.) I have two working blue ray players (from backwards compatible ps3's) plugged them in and got the system that was not showing a light now is giving it to me, and the other is still the same....only problem is neither of them will actually turn the game or movie on...any ideas as to what the problem may be? and how to make them both read the discs and run them?

My theory is that because my blu ray drives were from backwards compatible systems they arent compatible with the other models im puttin them into.
    Well the first problem is, You just can't throw any ps3 blu-ray player into a ps3 and expect it to work. There are like 3-4 different blu-ray players and lenses for the ps3 and they only work with the correct model. So, that's the short answer. Your blu-ray players are not compatible with the model ps3's you are using. What you need to do, is check each model on both ps3's. Then do a search on google for the compatible blu-ray player.

The model ps3 will look something like this, ceche01. It's where the barcode and serial number is on a white stick on the back of the ps3. Hope this helps you.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

yea i had a feeling it was something along those lines i just couldnt put in into words...but that definately makes sense ill try doing that later...maybe i can buy a compatible player off of craigs list or something or maybe someone here even lol....but hopefully that works Min...if i knew how to rep you i would

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I would advise you to be absolutely certain that the issue lies entirely with the Blu-ray player and not the PS3 system before you go off spending money on compatible players. Early PS3s had serious issues. Other than that, you can phone Sony directly and they'll tell you everything you need to know about the system in your hands from the serial number. I remember doing this in store when I was purchasing a second hand 60GB and wanted to make sure they are not barred on the Playstation Network. If you're in the U.K. I think the number is 0844 7360 595.