Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Why does X numbers of plats mean NO life?

This is a discussion on Why does X numbers of plats mean NO life? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; So I just recently just got the Soul Caliber 5 and Skyrim plat and someone on my friends list messages ...

Lvl 5 - Silver

Why does X numbers of plats mean NO life?

So I just recently just got the Soul Caliber 5 and Skyrim plat and someone on my friends list messages me:

Friend:
    Another platinum......
    Me:
    Lol its WHAT I DO!
    Friend:
    No life LOL JK JK JK JK JK JK JK JK JK JK JK JK
    Me:
    Now no matter how many Jks put in a sentence does not mean you dont think its true and on some level YOU know they believe exactly that! I just hate that people think that 1 plat= 2 weeks of no sleep, school, eat, work, basically no responsibilities! They assume none of those apply to us.

I tend to believe they think all gamers have these rooms

Toggle Spoiler

Im not upset I just hate that people arent educated and that people cant enjoy a game enough that they play it into 100% completion.

The Bushiest Pig

I have 28 plats, and that took me 2 and 1/2 years (that's how long I've had online connection, have had the PS3 for 3 years). Yet some of my friends call me a "trophy nerd" and that I "have no life". I wonder what they'd say about people who have 100+ plats haha. I aso get the occassional "hacker" message from randomers. People who don't trophy hunt just don't get it I guess.
    1st Place - VITA Trophy Guide of the Year, 2012 - Uncharted: Golden Abyss

2nd Place - CB Personality of the Year, 2011

2nd Place - DLC Trophy Guide of the Year, 2011 - Call of Duty: Black Ops Rezurrection

Nope, nothing

Well I wouldn't let it get to you to be honest, who cares.
    But you hate people who don't play to 100%? That's a little..

Oh and my room isn't like this at all either;

I have a HD TV and a PS3

Lvl 4 - Silver

I have 13 plats and my classmates called me a trophy nerd a few times, don't let it get to you though
    Trophy hunting is what I do in my free time.

Retired TGT Member

Don't let it get you down man, everyone is entitled to spend their time doing exactly as they please.

I have a Master's Degree and a full-time job (not very demanding, but full-time nonetheless) which is turning into a career that's just fine and dandy. I have friends, I keep in touch with my family, I go to church, and I go on walks/jogs with my dog.

I have 101 plats and over 5,000 trophies.

Let the haters come and tell me I have no life.

Lvl 5 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Chambers35 View Post
    Well I wouldn't let it get to you to be honest, who cares.
    But you hate people who don't play to 100%? That's a little..

Oh and my room isn't like this at all either;

I have a HD TV and a PS3
    Lol nah I that was towards the people that said trophy hunters have no life and that we the THs enjoy platting to 100% completion! And I have an HDTV too!

PRO Member

Yeah I wouldn't let it get to you. Never had that happen to me but anyways.

I'm married and work. Have a lot of responsibilities because my wife has a handicap. So I like to game in my free time. My wife is ok with it and we have a wonderful life.

so Let the haters hate.

Sig and Avatar by Jondeere

Lvl 5 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by antoniosbandana View Post
    Don't let it get you down man, everyone is entitled to spend their time doing exactly as they please.

I have a Master's Degree and a full-time job (not very demanding, but full-time nonetheless) which is turning into a career that's just fine and dandy. I have friends, I keep in touch with my family, I go to church, and I go on walks/jogs with my dog.

I have 101 plats and over 5,000 trophies.

Let the haters come and tell me I have no life.

Thats what im talking about! Masters Degree?

Trophies soon.

Doesn't sound like a good friend, if someone said that to me I would delete them.

Retired TGT Member

Quote Originally Posted by tai363 View Post
    Thats what im talking about! Masters Degree?
    Yep, it's true

Regional Manager of War

Don't worry about it tbh because people who don't "trophy hunt" aren't used to seeing people in their friends list with a trophy let alone double digits. I can't express how many times I have been called a "trophy whore", just ignore it and do you.

PRO Member

Exactly as antonio said. I also have a masters degree and a full time job, had my own house built (which I work on all of the time), 3 dogs, and a 10 year relationship. My main hobbies are reading, gaming, and following my favorite tv shows/movies. I hardly go out to clubs or bars anymore since I partied myself out in college. I also have friends that think the number of plats I have is ridiculous. I just laugh and tell them that I have nothing compared to others that I know.

In the end, I'm happy with my life and don't give a flying fuck what others think. I live my life for myself and my loved ones, not them.

Lvl 4 - Silver

Never actually thought about it but quick decision on this topic

I don't judge people on and trophy count (mostly because I go by the theory don't judge what you don't see).
    I know someone with 120 but is in full time work and goes out 3-4 nights a week to do volunteer work but to a lot of people when they see his ID they just think no life.

I would say it's not about having a life or not but having the focus and incentive to use your free time to do what you want (In this case going for trophies)
    Last edited by Doomlor0; 04-17-2012 at 05:43 PM.

Ghost Assassin

Well, the first thing that comes to mind is haters gonna hate. I'm sure the number one reason that people automatically assume 1 plat = no life is that they see it as an impossible hurdle instead of a challenge. Since they can't get a plat, they just assume that it requires so much dedication that it would label you as a person with no life outside of gaming. They just can't/won't understand the truth until they've tried for themselves, but if they really suck at gaming, the reason for their prejudice is just left at that.

ILoveU4Life

I think, that as long u exercise, have a job, do things with family and friends and have another main past time/job, getting plats is fine....., aslong as you do those things previously mentioned(exercise etc) you should do what you enjoy and forget others what think, lifes' for living....

Youtube.Com/Kc1597
    Signature By Djunglist (Sigs and Beyond)

Eat My PewPew Lasers! >.<

Lol

Please, I had no life even before I got my first plat.

oh, here's my room

Toggle Spoiler

It's just a flesh wound.

illegal in 9 countries

It's the same reason intelligent people are nerds, sporty people are jocks and blonde girls are dumb. People are more comfortable stereotyping others out of jealousy than developing the willpower, self-discipline and fortitude to achieve their goals.

I look at trophy cards as a reflection of a person's personality. My own card is all over the place, pulled in a hundred and one directions and far from complete, which demonstrates a distinct lack of commitment and is how I am in real life - I'm a Jack of all Trades and Master Procrastinator. Gaming and aiming for a Plat helps me to focus on the task at hand and see it through, which is paying dividends in other aspects of my life.

I look at say Bodigard or Antonio's cards or anyone in the 100 Plat or 100% (or close to) club and respect the way they approach their games in a methodical, focused way and know they're goal-oriented, driven, ambitious and aren't afraid of hard work. These are all positive character traits - traits I lack and need to work on.

Kudos on the 94th Plat Tai. It may be nothing but a shiny, virtual trophy, but it speaks more positively about the person you are than someone mocking you for enjoying your passion.

PSN | Steam | XBL | Wii U | 3DS | iOS | OUYA : ant1th3s1s | Checklist of the Year (2012,2013)

Game Forum Managers

I have gotten messages on PSN such as: 'Get a 9-5' 'What do trophies mean? nothing.' Things along those lines. People saying I have no life.

Realistically though I have a full time job which I have been often working a lot of overtime, have a child with the lovely Compalicious, do my daily responsibilities that are needed and just play in my free time. Plats aren't exactly that time consuming in a lot of cases and a lot of them can be earned in a week or so with only playing a little bit of time a week.

Regardless however, whomevers room this is, REALLY needs to come decorate my room:

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Yeah, I work full time as a professional, am married, remain dedicated to my friends and my football team but still manage to fit in 8 - 15 hours of gaming a week. You can earn a lot of plats in that time. : )

Platinum Procrastinator

I could really care less about what people think of me and my 57 plats. I'm currently unemployed although I'm going back to college for the third time in May. I don't smoke, drink, or do drugs so I'm never out partying every weekend. Instead I'm more comfortable staying home and watching a movie, show, or playing a game than blowing my money on something else. Hence why I have a fairly large collection.

I might be considered anti social, or even a loser, but the bottom line is I'm comfortable with me so it doesn't matter what others think. If someone thinks I'm inferior to them because of this, then I feel bad for them but I'm not going to say anything to them about it. I think as long as you're comfortable with yourself, who cares about the rest. You're not hurting anyone so be proud of that fact.
    Last edited by Denaratuck; 04-17-2012 at 09:38 PM.
    Like TV shows, join the Small Screen Gossip group!

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast