Data Transfer Via Ethernet Cable

This is a discussion on Data Transfer Via Ethernet Cable within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; I plan on getting a PS3 Slim in the near future and want to do a data transfer from my ...

The Bushiest Pig

Data Transfer Via Ethernet Cable

I plan on getting a PS3 Slim in the near future and want to do a data transfer from my old fat PS3 to the Slim. I just have a few questions (for those who ahve done it this way or know of someone who did):

1. What do you think of this method of data transfer?

2. Is it easy/simple or hard to do?

3. Do you remember running into any problems?

2. Did you have any games whose data would not transfer? If so which ones?
    1st Place - VITA Trophy Guide of the Year, 2012 - Uncharted: Golden Abyss

2nd Place - CB Personality of the Year, 2011

2nd Place - DLC Trophy Guide of the Year, 2011 - Call of Duty: Black Ops Rezurrection

PRO Member

Honestly? I did this when the Blu-ray stopped reading on my fat 80 gig. I went out one day and caved in and bought a 160 gig slim since those were the only ones in stock and I had a lot of saved data that was copy protected so this was my only option. The method was very easy but takes a lot of time depending on exactly how much information is being transferred because it transfers literally EVERYTHING on the system including accounts, pictures, music, etc.

it took quite a few hours to complete the transfer but it did the transfer seemingly flawlessly and everything copied over without problem. Only thing is that if you have videos active on your fat PS3 it doesn't wipe out the old system so make sure you deactivate your account for videos and games on your old system and if you are gonna trade it in, then make sure your do a system reformat prior to trading it in so no one can get access to your information.

Lvl 6 - Silver

Hi mate, I recently had to do this as my original 60gb phatshit was about to bite the dust, so I bought a slim 320gb. Anyways...

1) This method is simple, but the Sony instructions are bullshit - they don't work, there are added steps that are needed to be done [ see the bits in yellow]

2) It's easy to do, and pretty quick, took about an hour to transfer roughly 48gb. It's easy to do once the steps above are completed at least...

3) I have had a few problems, but nothing too major. The main one is that you will have to resync your trophies before starting a game you've previously played. I found that I had to do this with every game that was on my old system that I wanted to play on my new one, but this isn't a major problem. The main problem I have encountered is that Little Big Planet 2 profile didn't transfer over despite backing it up, and neither did my Uncharted Drakes Fortune save file. But other than that, it was like using my old system. It even transfers copy protected saves like Resident Evil 5.

4) See 3.

Hope this helps
    PSN ID: nookie_egg [GMT]
    Feel free to add me if you want, just send me a message that you're from here and what you are interested in boosting if necessary BUT PLEASE, NO BLANK FRIEND REQUESTS.
    Boosting online trophies of:
    NFS THE RUN [co-op], BIOSHOCK 2 [level 40]
    Thanks to EVERYONE who helps boosting sessions!
    [

PRO Member

I did it about a year ago it's quite simple really and before you do it it tells you what to do and warns you to deactivate your accounts on both consoles. It said it would take 12 hours to transfer 300gb of data but it took over 24 hours. I never lost any data though so you shouldn't either i suppose.

PRO Member

Actually, the longest process of transferring data is syncing your trophies up on your new console. It took me two nights of overnight syncing to get them all transferred and that was with about 2500 trophies.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Broken View Post
    Actually, the longest process of transferring data is syncing your trophies up on your new console. It took me two nights of overnight syncing to get them all transferred and that was with about 2500 trophies.
    Slow internet? After many errors it usually only takes me like 2 hours to sync 7000+ trophies.

But on topic. Seems most people were successful with this technique. When I did it(when it was first implemented). I had all kinds of issues and wasn't able to use this method. So I deleted all games, gamedata, movies, music and only transferred the save data. Took like 2minutes and worked flawlessly after I removed everything lol.
    August 2011 Trophy Competition Winner

The Bushiest Pig

Yeah I only plan on transferring like 60GB of save and install data and i have good internet as well.

With the trophy sync someone mentioned, do you just have to activate your account on the system and sync normally or will it do that normal "setting up trophies" thing it does for new games?
    1st Place - VITA Trophy Guide of the Year, 2012 - Uncharted: Golden Abyss

2nd Place - CB Personality of the Year, 2011

2nd Place - DLC Trophy Guide of the Year, 2011 - Call of Duty: Black Ops Rezurrection

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Bushpig94 View Post
    Yeah I only plan on transferring like 60GB of save and install data and i have good internet as well.

With the trophy sync someone mentioned, do you just have to activate your account on the system and sync normally or will it do that normal "setting up trophies" thing it does for new games?
    Once you sign up to PSN with your account, just sync your trophies. It'll do it's normal thing but it will take awhile since it's the 1st time syncing on that ps3... I have a decent DSL connection and for 2000 trophies. It should only take about 10minutes or so with a few error messages. It's when you hit over 5-6k that it takes a long time to sync the trophies due to all the error messages it pops up every few minutes.
    August 2011 Trophy Competition Winner

illegal in 9 countries

I've had more failures than successes when attempting Data Transfers. It's easy to perform but it's unreliable and can choke on something as simple as a theme or avatar. As Minarum mentioned, the less crap you have on the old PS3, the easier the process will be. On the flipsde, it also becomes less necessary.

The better way to go about migrating to a new PS3 is to backup all Game Saves to a USB stick, upload all protected Game Saves to PS+ (those that won't copy to USB) and sync your Trophies. That's the only stuff that matters, everything else can be reinstalled.

Deactivate your account and reset the old PS3 back to default. Add your existing PSN account to the new PS3, copy Game Saves from USB / download from PS+ and install your games from the PSN and / or disc - you'll need to play them again at least once to show the Trophies locally.

PS+ is well worth having for no other reason than backing up your Game Saves off-site. You could get YLoD, your PS3 could be stolen, your house could burn down, or your idiot brother could delete or mess with your saves. With a copy on PS+, that's no longer a problem.