YLOD Fix

This is a discussion on YLOD Fix within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; I got a second PS3 (the 60GB so I would be able to play the crap load of PS2 games ...

Hardcore!!!

YLOD Fix

I got a second PS3 (the 60GB so I would be able to play the crap load of PS2 games I had just sitting around with other people at school) on March 2nd [of this year] and I JUST got the YLOD just now. I dedicated a freaking WEEK (two weeks ago) to just download and install a crap load of games since I got a brand new 500GB hard drive on the 10th (L.A. Noire, Red Dead Redemption, Burnout Paradise, SkullGirls, Mortal Kombat vs DCU, and 100 other games and movies).

I do NOT want to waste 6 weeks and $150-$200 by sending it to Sony because the system is Video Registered on my second account.

Is there any way to fix it?

Signature and Avatar done by apokolypz
    !~General Boosting and Blank General Friend Requests will be deleted. PERIOD.~!

Lvl 3 - Bronze

if u dont want to send it to sony you got 3 options. 1, find a games console repair shop either local or on the internet which for a price should be able to repair the console also keeping all your data u installed safe. a local dealer would probley be the best option as u might not want to send it off to an internet website. option 2, try to repair it yourself there are many video's on youtube showing what u need to do but u will have to take the console apart and heat part's up with a heatgun. if u know what your doing would probly be easy but if u don't could get a bit messy. option 3, there is a temp fix to get it working for up to 24hours but it's not permenant. there a video on youtube showing a man fixing a broke "ylod" ps3 with out taking it apart. it involes using a hairdryer to blowing hot air in to the back of the system for 15mins followed by blowing cold air into the back but the video state's its only a temp fix. this option could be useful if u got a 2nd ps3 to network them both together and transfer all your data including save data to another machine. the choice is your's. i hope u get it fix goodluck.

Harvester of Souls

Quote Originally Posted by nuta1 View Post
    if u dont want to send it to sony you got 3 options. 1, find a games console repair shop either local or on the internet which for a price should be able to repair the console also keeping all your data u installed safe. a local dealer would probley be the best option as u might not want to send it off to an internet website. option 2, try to repair it yourself there are many video's on youtube showing what u need to do but u will have to take the console apart and heat part's up with a heatgun. if u know what your doing would probly be easy but if u don't could get a bit messy. option 3, there is a temp fix to get it working for up to 24hours but it's not permenant. there a video on youtube showing a man fixing a broke "ylod" ps3 with out taking it apart. it involes using a hairdryer to blowing hot air in to the back of the system for 15mins followed by blowing cold air into the back but the video state's its only a temp fix. this option could be useful if u got a 2nd ps3 to network them both together and transfer all your data including save data to another machine. the choice is your's. i hope u get it fix goodluck.
    Just be careful if try the heatgun thing yourself and be dead careful what heating up and fixing. Had friend try it and went crazy... >..> Nothing really to it unless you are a pyromaniac and can't control yourself or something.

Thnaks for the list there Nuta. Nice job and good luck trying to fix this dude.

HOSTED BY GREAT DAZE TAZER!!!!! COME JOIN THE MAYHEM!!!

Guide Bar Created by Ds_luckay

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Last time I fixed my old ps3, I used a heat conducting pad, rather than just the paste, for a more even application. It hasn't failed again...yet.

Lvl 9 - Gold

I've posted in quite a few YLOD threads on how to do the quick fix and a permanent fix... It'll cost you $20-30 to do the quick fix, and it's easy...
    August 2011 Trophy Competition Winner

Hardcore!!!

A) Thanks all
    B) I am going to do the temporary, quick fix first so that in case I f-up the permanent fix, I won't have to worry about the Video Registration for my second account. The game saves are secondary, everything else is nothing. All it would be is the Game Data, Games themselves, and Trophies (pretty much).

Thinking about it, it would be the CPU/GPU because I spent about 3.5 days over a 5 day span having the system on and getting hot so it would more than likely would be the CPU/GPU. If it ends up being the power supply, all that needs to be done is purchasing a new power supply and CAREFULLY replace it.

And Minarum, I tried searching your posts and I found nothing about the YLOD. . . .

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by JagDogger View Post
    And Minarum, I tried searching your posts and I found nothing about the YLOD. . . .

http://www.ps3trophies.com/forums/ge...html#post48108

http://www.ps3trophies.com/forums/ge...html#post61698

http://www.ps3trophies.com/forums/ge...tml#post186560

Last link being the most informative. But those are just a few I found doing a search, there were a lot more prior to the site being formatted.
    August 2011 Trophy Competition Winner

Hardcore!!!

oh . . . . . you had so many posts, so . . . . . Thanks Minarum

I got some Thermal Compound and Heat Gun today. I had my 40GB PS3 for a good 4 years before selling it to a friend for $150 (in which I got a PS3 Slim) in late December of 2011. Whenever the 40GB fan started blowing LOUD, I know that I had to turn it off soon and let it cool down (until I had it in a more open area (happened more often during the Summer months than any other).

Thanks again Min and everyone else. . . . I also tried the hairdryer technique, what a freaking croc (like you 'kinda' said Min in the first post [see below]).
    Quote Originally Posted by Minarum View Post
    I've never heard of the hairdryer trick ever working.