Does watching alot of blueraymovies wear out the discdrive quicker?

This is a discussion on Does watching alot of blueraymovies wear out the discdrive quicker? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Hi I bought my Ps3 about a year ago mainly as a gaming-console but also to to serve as a ...

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Does watching alot of blueraymovies wear out the discdrive quicker?

Hi

I bought my Ps3 about a year ago mainly as a gaming-console but also to to serve as a way to watch blueray movies on my then brand new hd-tv. I have thought about a thing though, does watching alot of blueray movies wear out the laser on the console quicker and should i therefore be a little more cautious as to how many i subject it to. At the moment me and my fiance watch about 5 of em a month. Is this something i should worry about?

Nope, nothing

I doubt it, the thing was intended to play discs..

Oh and you know PS3 are on blueray discs as well? So I doubt there's even a difference.

Since Aug. 09

lol i never played a single blu ray movie in mine and it burnt out.

Dominate!

PRO Member

Nah. I watch plenty of blu-ray movies and the games are on blu-ray discs as well. So my guess is that you have no problem.

Sig by Bladia

Lvl 6 - Silver

how you care for the ps3 is how long it will last... keep the vents vacuumed and don't bang it about... I have to buy a new one cos my dumb kid knocked it on the floor

PRO-M Thanks 2 NeroRadec!

You bought it for these reasons along w/ everyone else. It's meant for this & if it breaks then bad luck.

Signature by DaRe_xLw

Lvl 5 - Silver

Your ps3 disc are made out the same material as the blu-ray disc. Shouldnt cause you any problems however be sure you have your ps3 not in a entertainment center and not in the carpet. This way your system will be able to breath and not get dust in ur lens. However sony has a bad problem with there lens going out....I have lost my last 2 systems do to lense failure -_-...And sony already starting to develop a ps4.....SMFH!!!!

~~Krauser~~
    Jack-_-Krauser_

Get bent...

Quote Originally Posted by badreligionbomb View Post
    how you care for the ps3 is how long it will last... keep the vents vacuumed and don't bang it about... I have to buy a new one cos my dumb kid knocked it on the floor
    Your dumb kid?

Explain.
    What happens to CoD players when they try to play Dark Souls...

Formerly known as Tyrion619

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Probably a step-child, red head no doubt, lol.

PRO Member

Nah. I wouldn't worry about it. Your PS3 was meant to play these things plus like others have stated, the games are on blue ray discs as well.

|
    Sig - Initial D - Mazda RX-7 (FC3S)|
    |by Smashguy |

|Avy - Animals As Leaders|

Prayer Warrior

really? really? "your dumb kid?" how could you even say something like that about your child. you won't be winning any parent of the year award that's for sure. you disgust me.

on topic:

first of all it's "blu ray" NOT "blueray" and second it was made to play blu ray disc....after all that's what the games are on. it's bound to burn out eventually but rather or not you watch 5 blu rays a month or 50 won't make it burn out any sooner or later.

ps3trophies.com member since April 2009

Lvl 1 - Bronze

So how many movies have you guys watched on your Ps3's and for how long have you had it?

Harvester of Souls

I've watched several, but I'm content with DVDs which from time to time I'll play in the PS3 as well. Mostly just play lots of games . It would though help if you watched blu rays constantly help to burn it out faster more or less.. but really just gaming will lend to that. Won't matter playing movies or what you're doing lol.

HOSTED BY GREAT DAZE TAZER!!!!! COME JOIN THE MAYHEM!!!

Guide Bar Created by Ds_luckay

Lvl 7 - Gold

I've had my PS3 for two years I think, and I watch most of my movies and shows on the PS3, be it dvd or blu-ray, and it still runs like a champ.

Sig and avatar courtesy of ABSTRACT678
    Platbar courtesy of ThunderStick

Lvl 6 - Silver

Why call your kid dumb? Your the the dumb one for leaving it in an area he can get to. Jerk

I dont use mine for movies as my kids watch alot of them, dont want to leave it on 24/7.

Lvl 5 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Izak80 View Post
    So how many movies have you guys watched on your Ps3's and for how long have you had it?
    Had my 120 gig for about 2 yrs now and short on memory -_- and i watch a movie every now and then either from red box or just stream movies ^^ from netflix.

~~Krauser~~
    Jack-_-Krauser_

Lvl 5 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Izak80 View Post
    Hi

I bought my Ps3 about a year ago mainly as a gaming-console but also to to serve as a way to watch blueray movies on my then brand new hd-tv. I have thought about a thing though, does watching alot of blueray movies wear out the laser on the console quicker and should i therefore be a little more cautious as to how many i subject it to. At the moment me and my fiance watch about 5 of em a month. Is this something i should worry about?
    cigarette smoke could effect ur lens if you smoke inside i seen with my system the tar from the cigarette smoke inside my system

~~Krauser~~
    Jack-_-Krauser_

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Jack-_-Krauser__ View Post
    cigarette smoke could effect ur lens if you smoke inside i seen with my system the tar from the cigarette smoke inside my system

~~Krauser~~
    Not sure if serious...

PRO Member

Well, there are two different questions within your question (or atleast two assumptions you can approach the question with), and they both affect the answer.

1) Assuming the same usage of PS3 game vs. Blu-ray movie, does watching Blu-rays wear the drive out quicker?

- No, the mechanical elements that operate the discs are identical and the Blu-ray doesn't put more stress on them.

2) Does watching Blu-ray movie vs. not operating the disc drive wear out the drive quicker?

- Yes, all mechanical devices (regardless of usage) have a max life. Meaning even if you never, ever use the device eventually the device will no longer function (unless you maintain it). Operating the device decreases this time proportional to the amount it is operated, meaning every-day usage can quickly turn a 25-year life-span into a 5-year life-span.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

MK Plat = Overrated

LOL. "My dumb kid." So funny.

Anyways, Gauss is right. Nothing lasts forever. Just use and enjoy it for what you want to. Get your moneys worth.