Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ps3 trophy game patch rant

This is a discussion on Ps3 trophy game patch rant within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; This is a youtube vid i came across a while ago. This isnt me, but i somewhat agree with this ...

Lvl 8 - Gold

Ps3 trophy game patch rant

This is a youtube vid i came across a while ago. This isnt me, but i somewhat agree with this dude

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn6zo2a5oYA
    Fast-forward to :20

My analysis of this

Toggle Spoiler

Last edited by Crealkllr; 04-29-2012 at 10:08 PM.

O_o

AOS is always entertaining.

PRO Member

Have to agree with the video. I would've bought the 5th anniversary edition elder scrolls: oblivion last year if they had trophies on that disc.

Rangers F.C

I agree i would not buy a game now if it never had trophies

Legend...Nuff Said

Yeah, they dropped the ball on that. I have no clue why older games never got a trophy patch or how some PS1 classics get them and some don't. I don't get it.

L
    asombra Files Interviews and Top Trophy Tournament Commentary from Skip and Max linked in the banner.
    Checkout the Facebook page or follow me on Twitter @LasombraFiles
    My novels can be found here: The Lasombra Files: Choice and Consequence and
    Til Death Do Us Part
    Big thanks to the site for giving me my start as a writer!

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Only a few games I knew got trophy patches, like fallout 3

Fox
    Si vis bellum, para pacem

Quote Originally Posted by Lasombra View Post
    Yeah, they dropped the ball on that. I have no clue why older games never got a trophy patch or how some PS1 classics get them and some don't. I don't get it.
    What PS1 classics have you played with Trophies?

There are only a handful of games [compared to the entire library available] - even fewer if you only count games that are even worth playing - that don't have trophies - and most of those have some kind of in game award system that's nearly identical. Just to name two that I, myself, own: Devil May Cry 4, and Metal Gear Solid 4.

The only thing missing from them is a list of 256 x 256 px images that show up on your profile.

The reason games like that don't get a patch, is because that decision is purely up to the developer - NOT Sony. And it's likely that the devs either:

A.) Are too busy working on other projects to worry with trying to create a patch for a game that's years old just to add a few images on a list. [IE: KojPro working on things like the Zone of the Enders collection, MGS Collection, or Rising] Exactly the reason you didn't see Resistance 1 get a trophy patch in that Dual Pack they released of it, and R2.

Or, B. ) The game is old, and essentially forgotten about/not cared enough about to warrant revisiting it. There's no real demand for it. [Games like Street Fighter II HD Remix, or Puzzle Fighter HD.]

Every game that has come out since the Trophy update has received trophies. It is in fact, mandatory - not a single game since January 2009 has come out that didn't feature them, other than PS1 and PS2 classics, or Minis - which are technically PSP games that can just be played on the PS3.

The reason the 5th anniversary edition of Oblivion didn't get trophies is because it's not a new game, it's no more than a collector's edition of the exact same game that came out in 2006/2007. A re-boxing of the GOTY edition that included a $10 coupon for Skyrim, essentially. Had they created new DLC for the title - then there likely would have been a trophy patch, at the very least, for the DLC content [Like how Fallout 3 got a trophy patch.]

Could they do it? Of course. Would it take long for them to do so? I can't say - I'm sure it involves a good bit of code work, but it probably wouldn't be that long.

Should they patch them? Hell if I care. There's a reason I've beaten MGS4 over 30 times, and a reason I'm gonna go through DMC4 again on SoS and DMD. There's a reason I still play SSFIIHD from time to time.

Because they are good games, and don't need anything else for me to be able to enjoy them at all. Then again, I'm part of that generation that grew up before any of this BS even really mattered in the first place .

ReviewHaven PC Fund: $4.90 // $525.27 [ DONATE ]

PATREON \\ CURIOOS \\ BEHANCE \\ VENOMGRAPHICS \\ REVIEWHAVEN

Lvl 8 - Gold

Happy everyone agrees. I thought the same thing the first time i saw it. I dont like his swearing that much, but his point hits the nail on the head

MK Plat = Overrated

Soul Caliber 4 has achievements. Why doesn't the PS3 version have trophies for it? That baffles me.

BTW, I love this guy. I actually subscribe to his channel. He's pretty entertaining.

Legend...Nuff Said

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post

I made a mistake with that. I meant PS2 games. Some get trophies and some don't.

L
    asombra Files Interviews and Top Trophy Tournament Commentary from Skip and Max linked in the banner.
    Checkout the Facebook page or follow me on Twitter @LasombraFiles
    My novels can be found here: The Lasombra Files: Choice and Consequence and
    Til Death Do Us Part
    Big thanks to the site for giving me my start as a writer!

Fox
    Si vis bellum, para pacem

Quote Originally Posted by Lasombra View Post
    I made a mistake with that. I meant PS2 games. Some get trophies and some don't.
    Every PS2 collection has Trophies.

The PS2 classics, however, don't - because they are exactly like the PS1 Classics - PS2 games in their original form. No HD treatment or anything - no extra features.

The games you are likely thinking of, are those that are available on PSN which are no more than separated & downloadable versions of the original, Blu-Ray disc-based collections [Such as GoW 1 & 2, or the Sly collection.] They aren't PS2 games in the same sense as the PS2 classics, but instead, are actually PS3 games.

ReviewHaven PC Fund: $4.90 // $525.27 [ DONATE ]

PATREON \\ CURIOOS \\ BEHANCE \\ VENOMGRAPHICS \\ REVIEWHAVEN

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by ERICVOLTAGE View Post
    AOS is always entertaining.
    I agree. I love his vids, especially his Capcom rants.

NO blank Friend Requests will be accepted

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

Quote Originally Posted by UNCLEPAULIE View Post
    I agree i would not buy a game now if it never had trophies

Really???? that's just....wow.

Trophies are like extras, they may add to the content but they are worthless if the game is a steaming pile and not needed for a game to be amazing, you seriously would not buy a game no matter how brilliant just because of that? I really hope you are joking.

Lvl 8 - Gold

There are only a handful of games [compared to the entire library available] - even fewer if you only count games that are even worth playing - that don't have trophies - and most of those have some kind of in game award system that's nearly identical. Just to name two that I, myself, own: Devil May Cry 4, and Metal Gear Solid 4.

The only thing missing from them is a list of 256 x 256 px images that show up on your profile.

The reason games like that don't get a patch, is because that decision is purely up to the developer - NOT Sony. And it's likely that the devs either:

A.) Are too busy working on other projects to worry with trying to create a patch for a game that's years old just to add a few images on a list. [IE: KojPro working on things like the Zone of the Enders collection, MGS Collection, or Rising] Exactly the reason you didn't see Resistance 1 get a trophy patch in that Dual Pack they released of it, and R2.

Or, B. ) The game is old, and essentially forgotten about/not cared enough about to warrant revisiting it. There's no real demand for it. [Games like Street Fighter II HD Remix, or Puzzle Fighter HD.]

Every game that has come out since the Trophy update has received trophies. It is in fact, mandatory - not a single game since January 2009 has come out that didn't feature them, other than PS1 and PS2 classics, or Minis - which are technically PSP games that can just be played on the PS3.

The reason the 5th anniversary edition of Oblivion didn't get trophies is because it's not a new game, it's no more than a collector's edition of the exact same game that came out in 2006/2007. A re-boxing of the GOTY edition that included a $10 coupon for Skyrim, essentially. Had they created new DLC for the title - then there likely would have been a trophy patch, at the very least, for the DLC content [Like how Fallout 3 got a trophy patch.]

Could they do it? Of course. Would it take long for them to do so? I can't say - I'm sure it involves a good bit of code work, but it probably wouldn't be that long.

Should they patch them? Hell if I care. There's a reason I've beaten MGS4 over 30 times, and a reason I'm gonna go through DMC4 again on SoS and DMD. There's a reason I still play SSFIIHD from time to time.

Because they are good games, and don't need anything else for me to be able to enjoy them at all. Then again, I'm part of that generation that grew up before any of this BS even really mattered in the first place .
    I agree with you to an extent.

They might be busy or the game might be old. I just think that if they added some trophies, more people would buy them. I dont own alot of titles, but if i heard they were gettting a patch for trophies, i would go out and try to get that game. Just my opinion.

As for the last sentence, i also grew up before these things even mattered. I started on the super nintendo, just trying to enjoy games.
    THing is, I have OCD with an obsession on collecting things. So i just enjoy games more if the goal is more than (finish the game)
    Quote Originally Posted by prarpin View Post
    Soul Caliber 4 has achievements. Why doesn't the PS3 version have trophies for it? That baffles me.

BTW, I love this guy. I actually subscribe to his channel. He's pretty entertaining.
    Isnt it as simple as copy & paste? The achievements are right there, jsut transfer data
    Quote Originally Posted by SonofSonofvenom View Post
    Really???? that's just....wow.

Trophies are like extras, they may add to the content but they are worthless if the game is a steaming pile and not needed for a game to be amazing, you seriously would not buy a game no matter how brilliant just because of that? I really hope you are joking.
    True and false at the same time. IMO, trophies are 1/3 of the game. On good games, i dont even think or look at the trophy list. The other 2/3 make it fun. But on horrible games, trophies are the only think keeping me playing it.

I can understand how you feel trophies are a added "bonus", but for people like me that play a game and replay it just to unlock every single costume, cheat, and level, it should have been implimented a long time ago. What better way to get people to play a game than to hide goals. Weither your good at the game or just barely passing levels, it gives noobs and gamers alike a simple goal that *almost* anyone can do. I dont fully agree with the OP that said " i wouldnt buy a game if it didnt have trophies", because there are a few exceptions to great games i want to play that have no trophies. That said, i pretty much say that when i buy off craigslist, "i wont buy it unless it has trophies"

Mr. X

This. /End Thread.

the sea. these earthless catcombs. our tombs they have become.

Negator

Quote Originally Posted by Prosthetic View Post
    This. /End Thread.
    Yup. Fox wrapped it up nicely, and I don't think anything of any value can be added...except one thing: VALKYRIA CHRONICLES. That is all.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

NSFW

Fox.... STOP MAKING ME FEEL USELESS .

In all seriousness... basically what Fox said.

Sig made by Beam. Platbar by Thunder.

Sig made by Beam.
    Platbar made by Thunder.

PRO Member

Exactly what fox said. Well put man.

|
    Sig - Initial D - Mazda RX-7 (FC3S)|
    |by Smashguy |

|Avy - Animals As Leaders|

Lvl 9 - Gold

Yes is sad not all game have trophy, but there´s just some you HAVE TO GET. Valkyria Chronicle, Eternal Sonata and Heavenly sword to name a few.
    Hand-bra Jeans

The exposure of the female's soft body. Whether you like it or not, being naked to the waist and the mismatch between the hard and thick jeans. The true essence is the union of girly and boyish styles.At the same time, the hand-bra forces even the current girls that lack shameful feelings to make an embarrassing pose. Depending on how it is seen, it also shows a form of eroticism by making it look like the girls are rubbing their own breasts.

Medaka Box

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

Quote Originally Posted by Crealkllr View Post
    True and false at the same time. IMO, trophies are 1/3 of the game. On good games, i dont even think or look at the trophy list. The other 2/3 make it fun. But on horrible games, trophies are the only think keeping me playing it.

I can understand how you feel trophies are a added "bonus", but for people like me that play a game and replay it just to unlock every single costume, cheat, and level, it should have been implimented a long time ago. What better way to get people to play a game than to hide goals. Weither your good at the game or just barely passing levels, it gives noobs and gamers alike a simple goal that *almost* anyone can do. I dont fully agree with the OP that said " i wouldnt buy a game if it didnt have trophies", because there are a few exceptions to great games i want to play that have no trophies. That said, i pretty much say that when i buy off craigslist, "i wont buy it unless it has trophies"
    Straight off, i fully understand what you are saying, a game i may not be too keen on can be made better with a well worked set of trophies and a great game can last much much longer with them, again, if they are done right.If these had been implemented say 10 years ago, i would be a trophy waving billy big bollocks and probably be bemoaning my boredom at trophy hunting.However, these are not the reason i play games, collection is great and all but i just like playing,always have, always will.

Like you mentioned, you like to complete and unlock things in games, i do, or i did, in a way trophies put me off a bit, i finished Metal Gear Solid 4 and GTA IV numerous times, collecting everything and getting toward 100% because i adored them, when GTA IV got trophies i was sure i'd plat it but it felt like a false challenge and i got bored and carried on dicking about instead. Same could be said of the MGS HD collection, played the crap out of all of them, i feel that achievement on a personal level, it just wont show on my trophy collection.

So basically at best i see trophies as more like 10% of the gaming package, i'll enjoy getting them but i won't be going out of my way to get a virtual pat on the back for doing something i wasn't going to do anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast