Best soccer game for n00bs/beginners?

This is a discussion on Best soccer game for n00bs/beginners? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Like the title says, what would be the best soccer game to pick up for someone who's never played one ...

Get bent...

Best soccer game for n00bs/beginners?

Like the title says, what would be the best soccer game to pick up for someone who's never played one or doesn't know much of anything about the sport.

Normally, I don't follow the sport at all unless it's the Women's World Cup (because our men's team usually sucks).

However, recently I've had a strange craving to play one. Not sure why. I just do.

Not worried about easy trophies or online crap. Though I would like one with a good 'franchise' mode or whatever it would be called.
    What happens to CoD players when they try to play Dark Souls...

Formerly known as Tyrion619

illegal in 9 countries

Pure Football's a pretty easy arcadey-sim soccer game with an emphasis on scoring. I haven't tried FIFA Street yet, but would probably recommend it as the better arcade alternative.

FIFA 12 and the other serious sims aren't a great deal of fun if you're a nubcake.

Lvl 5 - Silver

You can always go for the retro style games. For instance getting FIFA 08 would help get a feeling of what it's like.

ლ(ಠдಠლ)

In all honesty I hated FIFA games. I grew up with the Winning 11 series on the PS2, which IMO are still the best football games around. The english version is PES (Pro evolution soccer) which has always had minor changes from their winning 11 counterpart. I would start there, I've heard PES2012 is a solid iteration, but I've yet to touch football games on the PS3.

Lvl 4 - Silver

Let's see. Pure Football and FIFA Street are a no-no. They don't have a 'Franchise' mode, which in these games would be called a career mode. Now, I own both FIFA 12 and PES 2012. And a lot of the earlier versions. But I'd start with FIFA. PES is very complicated. I've had it for about a half year now and there's still a lot of stuff I don't understand. FIFA gives you enough decisions to make in the career mode, without it being ridiculously cluttered. PES is just very... intricate. Not a game to start with. So I'd go with FIFA. I mean, you can always tone down the difficulty, so the argument that FIFA is too serious for beginners is also not true.

Lvl 4 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Deem View Post
    Let's see. Pure Football and FIFA Street are a no-no. They don't have a 'Franchise' mode, which in these games would be called a career mode. Now, I own both FIFA 12 and PES 2012. And a lot of the earlier versions. But I'd start with FIFA. PES is very complicated. I've had it for about a half year now and there's still a lot of stuff I don't understand. FIFA gives you enough decisions to make in the career mode, without it being ridiculously cluttered. PES is just very... intricate. Not a game to start with. So I'd go with FIFA. I mean, you can always tone down the difficulty, so the argument that FIFA is too serious for beginners is also not true.

Almost exactly what I was going to say. As Deem said, tone down the difficulty if you're struggling. At least if you play Fifa over Fifa Street/Pure Football you will at least have a fair idea of what football(soccer) is about.

Sig by Dsluckay/ Avy by In2
    "I know why you're here. And we're all here, cause we're not all there."

Lvl 9 - Gold

FIFA Street or Pro Evolution Soccer 2012.
    Platbar by Wadefan1

Get bent...

Does FIFA or PES have all the teams from across the world (or most of them)? Actual players and such? Like the English Premier League?

I'm kind of a bandwagon fan of Manchester United & Manchester City as well as the Irish National club.
    What happens to CoD players when they try to play Dark Souls...

Formerly known as Tyrion619

Lvl 4 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja-In-A-Tree View Post
    Does FIFA or PES have all the teams from across the world (or most of them)? Actual players and such? Like the English Premier League?

I'm kind of a bandwagon fan of Manchester United & Manchester City as well as the Irish National club.
    Well both have english premier league and many more but the problem with PES is that they haven't named the teams right. Example
    Manchester city is named Man blue. FIFA doesn't have this problem so i suggest FIFA for you. It's also alot easier to play .

I don't know what's the problem with names, licensing maybe?

Leagues list
    FIFA12:

PES12

Toggle Spoiler

And btw FIFA13 and PES13 is coming this year so you could wait for them to be released
    -Feel free to add me on PSN (Kami_Gunn). Don't leave a blank message .

Lvl 4 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Kami View Post

I don't know what's the problem with names, licensing maybe?
    Yeah, it's licensing. Since the beginning of Pro Evo they've always only had a couple of licensed teams in the Premier League. North London Red FTW! The rest of Europe was usually better though.

Sig by Dsluckay/ Avy by In2
    "I know why you're here. And we're all here, cause we're not all there."

Lvl 9 - Gold

Inazuma Eleven for the Wii or DS.
    Really fun and addictive games.

NO blank Friend Requests will be accepted

Lvl 4 - Silver

The problem with PES is indeed licenses. Konami has to buy them, FIFA doesn't, as it's licensed by the FIFA itself, obviously. PES 2012 only has two licenses for the Premier League, Tottenham Hotspur and Manchester United. All the other teams have fake names and fake kits. So if it's PL authenticity you're after, definitely FIFA. And also, FIFA has the Championsship, and the npower League 1 and 2, meaning there will be real English teams promoting and relegating each season. In PES, it will be teams like PES United and WE United. So once again, fake-ass shit. On the flip-side, PES spent a lot more attention on the Dutch Eredivisie than FIFA. Which is awesome for me, since I am Dutch, but does very little for you, haha. But yeah, your last post just made it more obvious that FIFA is the way to go for you.