View Poll Results: Do you think PS+ is worth it?

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes i do

77 75.49%
  • No i dont

17 16.67%
  • Never tried it

8 7.84%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

PS3+ Rant

This is a discussion on PS3+ Rant within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; I am sorry if there is already one of these threads Its kind of sad, the way Sony went about ...

Lvl 8 - Gold

PS3+ Rant

I am sorry if there is already one of these threads

Its kind of sad, the way Sony went about its "ps+" membership. When i think of paying extra money for special VIP features, this is not what i had in mind. I will be discussing 3 things that Ps+ has to offer: Cloud storage, free games and DLC, and the amount of money it costs to have this.

First off, many gamers praise the cloud storage, which lets you move your save files to an online storage, where if you go to someone elses house, you can pick up where you left off with your saved data. It was a nice idea, although i heard it was limited to 150 gigs of space. That does seem like alot of room, although whats the use of paying for extra room, when you can always (most cases you can) use a usb or external hard drive to save those game saves. I personally dont go over to someone elses house often enough to want to pay for this service.

Next, we look at the free stuff you can get. They have free ps1, ps2, and ps3 games, as well as downloads and minis. They also let you try the 60 minute trials of retail games, which after 60 minutes of playing will ask for you to go buy the real thing. All of this would be neat, if they let you keep it. All of these things lock on you when your membership expires, which makes you pay just to play these games.

Someone people have argued that Sony would be stupid to give games away for free, and think the games you get each month are worth the price. I tend to disagree. The games are ok, ones that i wouldnt go out and buy, but dont mind having for free now. When it comes to new titles, each month only two titles are replaced with 2 new games, while the rest are there for months on end, giving the member nothing new. Then, if you are picky like me (i only get ones with trophies) you notice that there is nothing to download, since some games dont have trophies. Things like Ps1 games (no trophies), Minis (no trophies), and ps3 / psn games (some dont have trophies), really just take up the space where new titles should be.

The only good situation is if you was a ps+ member from the start. IF you was lucky enough to do that, you would have a whole download list of every free game they gave out, and be able to play any one of those when you choose (just go and redownload it). But many of us dont have that situation.

So lastly, lets look at the co$t.

For a year is 50, while 3 months is ___ (not sure)

50 / 12 = 4.17 each month
    pretty low right? If you figure out how many new titles they give you each month, your really paying that 5 dollars for the same old titles, hoping they give you something decent

Well thats the end of my rant. I just wanted to give a list of games they gave for free that were decent IMO:
    Castle crashers
    Shank 2
    battle fantasia
    the sega collection
    super sonic rocket car
    (i will add to the list, but you can recommend titles in your reply)

Kid, not loser

The cloud storage is also there so incase your system dies, or the file gets corrupted. It saves alot of peoples games by having it.

They add quit a few new games too. Trine 2 is fareily new, and Awesomnauts later this month is first day free for +. And there has been a few other new ones as well. Also they offer free retiai titles along with a free psn game ever so often. And you do not get to keep the games because it is just a subsciption, and they need people to stay.

And they cant give out a free list of all games to newcomers, as it is unfair to those who have been on it for a much longer time.

And the automatic download feature there is nothing against that, as that is awesome, and worth the price alone imo. Yet, they offer it along with everything else.

Thanks to Bladia for the amazing Sig and Avy.

Local Drunk

I don't have PS+ because of the price and the fact I don't buy that much from the PS Store so it's a waste of money (for me) that could used on more important things like grog lol.
    Last edited by Feral; 04-30-2012 at 01:34 PM.

Awesomely awesome sig by Beam & social group bar by DaRe
    The Local Drunk's Experience With Trophies

Lvl 8 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Kid_Loser View Post
    The cloud storage is also there so incase your system dies, or the file gets corrupted. It saves alot of peoples games by having it.

They add quit a few new games too. Trine 2 is fareily new, and Awesomnauts later this month is first day free for +. And there has been a few other new ones as well. Also they offer free retiai titles along with a free psn game ever so often. And you do not get to keep the games because it is just a subsciption, and they need people to stay.

And they cant give out a free list of all games to newcomers, as it is unfair to those who have been on it for a much longer time.

And the automatic download feature there is nothing against that, as that is awesome, and worth the price alone imo. Yet, they offer it along with everything else.
    I dont disagree with you. For the free games, i dont see good games like the two you mentioned on the "list" alot, but i do see the sega games, hamster ball, and those DLC stuff there each month. Must be at least 4 months straight.

I do think they have good games, but its so rare. As for keeping the games, i would rather pay $5 and keep the game, than have it free for only a month. The price reductions are also on most games that i dont want, so from my point of view, its not worth it.

I agree with what you said, and it just doesnt appeal to me.

Lvl 6 - Silver

PS+ is well worth the money. I love Cloud storage over a USB or external HDD seeing i dont have to have another device in my room(not to mention some saves are copy protected). The 150 mb that you get is plenty, i have well over 100 saves and still have over 100 mbs left. The free games I do get are well worth it, doesnt matter if there are trophies or not.

I do like the automatic download feature that Kid mentioned as well, no longer do i have to wait for updates to download.

Kid, not loser

Well it definetly cant apeal to everyone, even though that is what they are trying to do. If you are a regular buyer on most thing on PSN, its more worth it. If you are more of just a retail gamer, its probably not the best for you.

Thanks to Bladia for the amazing Sig and Avy.

Mr. X

If you don't like it then you don't have to pay for it. To be honest I've found it to be an awesome investment. The cloud storage and auto updates are really handy.

As for the games I've got so many great games out of it. There's games that I wouldn't have tried that turned out to be really good and then there's others that I would have wanted but probably wouldn't have been able to afford. If you only download games with trophies then you're missing out. The PSOne classics are one of my fav things to get. Final Fantasy V, Resident 1-3 and Silent Hill have all been on it in the past few months. Some months might be poo but there's other months that more than make up for it.

It's each to their own and if you don't like the service don't pay for it.

the sea. these earthless catcombs. our tombs they have become.

NSFW

I have this weird habbit, that if somebody makes a rant, I tend to think of a very angry tone that reads the rant in my head... I couldn't here.... It was the weirdest calmest rant I've ever had my brain read to me...

I do disagree with you though...

It's not 150 gigabyte, it's 150 megabyte, which is the only point I agree with you on, is too small. But have you actually tried to move from a USB-link... it's actually a quite finicky process, and I'm glad that my games is somewhere on a cloud, if my PS3 happens to break. You can't have a USB-link ready if the PS3 already has a YLoD. You have to be psychic or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Crealkllr View Post
    ISomeone people have argued that Sony would be stupid to give games away for free, and think the games you get each month are worth the price. I tend to disagree. The games are ok, ones that i wouldnt go out and buy, but dont mind having for free now. When it comes to new titles, each month only two titles are replaced with 2 new games, while the rest are there for months on end, giving the member nothing new. Then, if you are picky like me (i only get ones with trophies) you notice that there is nothing to download, since some games dont have trophies. Things like Ps1 games (no trophies), Minis (no trophies), and ps3 / psn games (some dont have trophies), really just take up the space where new titles should be.
    The problem is those people are right! It would be stupid for Sony to give the games permanently for free... hell the mini's and DLC is permanently free (not sure about the PS1 titles). If they gave it all permanently free, there would be no bloody point of having a subscription. It would just be a "take-all-you-can-play" buffet, and that makes Sony losing money, which is something they already do. They need to have an income, and they can't have that if people can get the games for not much money. And on top of that, they need to give out more? 2 games a month (plus minis, DLC, Avatars, Themes, Discounts, Trials, Exclusivity, cloud storage and a few other thing, that I've probably forgotten) for 50 dollars a year, is a good price, even if it expires, but funnily enough... that's what subscriptions do... Do you expect Netflix to be like: "We're gonna let you keep the movies you've watched"? Without profit they can't give you more content. And you being picky is your own damn problem, don't take that out on Sony. A you then proceed to rant about old titles... now hold on a second, if PS+ gives you new games all of the time, do you honestly think, that the starting sale, will turn out good? As said before profit = content (and happy workers and greedy monopoly men)...

Now I'm not saying PS+ is perfect... I personally think, that they should give us information of what games coming out way before the week or two they normally do, so people don't end up buying a game that they could of gotten for free next month (I know that technically gives them more profit, but that's pushing it).

Other good PS+ titles... okay.

Trine 2 (I think they only gave that for free in EU (since it was so damn late))
    Stacking
    WipEout HD
    And probably others, but I'm pretty tired at the moment.

Sig made by Beam. Platbar by Thunder.

Sig made by Beam.
    Platbar made by Thunder.

PRO Member

I think it's worth it. You get free titles, exclusives, automatic downloads, automatic updates and game save transfer to the cloud, etc... I got onboard with a 1 year gift card and i'm pretty sure i'll never cancel now that i've had a taste.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Fancy meeting you here, nemesis! I like PS+ as it lets me back up copy protected saves instead of hauling out the ol' USB hard drive. Also, some of the discounts are great and you get to keep games you purchase. Plus, I love avatars and themes, have got a few nifty ones for free and others at a huge discount. So, definitely worth it in my opinion. ^-^

Rainbow in the dark

Tough one.. but im gonna say yes its worth it.. i got some pretty decent games for free like mafia 2 which i would never have bought myself but turned out to be pretty cool + a bunch of other freebies
    sig made by Bladia

Every time I drink a beer
    It makes your lazy eye disappear
    Every time I do a shot
    I think you're hot, but I know you're not
    Oh, I'm just trying to drink you pretty

Lvl 8 - Gold

I think it's worth it because you get some things for free and a lot of discounts. It all depends how much you spend in the Store. There hasn't been anything worth buying in the past few months so it's a good thing that my subscription expired 2 months ago.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I think the argument that you don't get to keep the games is a poor one. A year is a long time and who is likely to go back to the short downloadable titles months later anyway? With ps+ I get games I would not otherwise buy and sometimes I am pleasantly surprised, at other moments disappointed. The discounts alone have saved me at the very least $50 though. It is well worth the $50 investment.

On the edge

Quote Originally Posted by System H View Post
    The 150 mb that you get is plenty, i have well over 100 saves and still have over 100 mbs left.
    It isn't plenty at all if you have any RPG saves.

My Fallout 3 and NV saves are up to 20 MB
    Dragon Age saves are up to 9000 Kb
    Skyrim saves are up to 17 MB

Those are just a few of my saves and I can use the 150 MB limit in no time. It should be 150 Gigs then it would be awesome.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by ichris26 View Post

Those are just a few of my saves and I can use the 150 MB limit in no time. It should be 150 Gigs then it would be awesome.
    I agree. I think it's mostly worth it and would be more so if the Cloud storage was bigger.

|
    Sig - Initial D - Mazda RX-7 (FC3S)|
    |by Smashguy |

|Avy - Animals As Leaders|

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Having used it after the PSN outage, I think the only reason I would use it is for the automatic downloads and the cloud storage. Having said that, it isn't enough to make PS+ a budget item. It's one of those things that if I had the cash it would be nice to have but otherwise not worried about it. I would be more optimistic about it if the cloud storage was set up like it is on Live, where the cloud is a selectable storage option. But Live's cloud has a local setup so I don't think that would happen. (Please don't hit me)
    Just because I'm a lazy person: All gaming info is here -> GrimmLAN13

The bass, the rock, the mic, the treble
    I like my coffee black
    Just like my metal

Mindless Self Indulgence

Lvl 7 - Gold

Only had it for I believe 2/3 months.

- Sonic 1 & 2
    - Back to the Future 1-5
    - Sly 1 - Haven't played it.

For a Years membership, to get 7 games for nothing seems a good deal, with the number expected to rise, I would like to see more each month, but I suppose its worth it,

Change is mediocre

While I do think it is a little over price (could be 5 or 10 bucks cheaper imo) it is a great feature to the user in more ways than one.

1) Games are always either on sale or free, when normally they are priced anywhere from $5-10. This in the end will make your money back and get your full enjoyment from them. This makes PS+ worthwhile and just a generally good thing to have if you have the money.

2) Cloud storage. Imagine if your ps3 got the YLOD and you were like "Shit, how will I get my files back?". Now you can store your files using Cloud and retrieve them from another PS3 with the same PSN account without a hassle. Great service right there, I wish I had it when I got my 3 YLODs.

3) Betas usually come out first for PS+, or even exclusively for them. This gives you a chance to test a game pre-release for free.

So all in all, while it does cost a lot, I feel that it is great. If you have the money for it and games then there shouldn't be anything stopping you. If you enjoy playing games and you have some money to spend, buy it.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by RedBullLordy View Post
    Only had it for I believe 2/3 months.

- Sonic 1 & 2
    - Back to the Future 1-5
    - Sly 1 - Haven't played it.

For a Years membership, to get 7 games for nothing seems a good deal, with the number expected to rise, I would like to see more each month, but I suppose its worth it,
    This! I was just about to name these when reading this thread. PS+ is well worth the money I have gotten far more than $50 worth of free stuff while having it. Plus the game discounts have saved me a bunch too.

illegal in 9 countries

$50 a year is chump change for the return on investment you get from PS+.

Cloud Storage, although limited to 150MB, can store saves for hundreds of games including copy-prohibited saves and completely nullifies the risk of YLoD. If you've ever had a PS3 die on you and lost hundreds or thousands of hours of gameplay, PS+ is worth the price of admission for this feature alone.

Quote Originally Posted by ichris26 View Post

Bethesda games are the exception, not the rule. Most game saves weigh in at less than 1MB.
    The obvious solution is to backup large game saves to a USB stick.

Another space-saver is to backup all non-protected games saves to USB and use PS+ just for copy-prohibited game saves. I lost a couple of hundred Rock Band 2 hours to YLoD thanks to the protected game save and only had 2 or 3 trophies for the Plat. Even though I love the game, I haven't played it since. Same for Little Big Planet.

--------------------------------

Instead of looking at PS+ on a month to month basis, analyse the benefits over the course of a year and you'll find that Sony provides hundreds of bucks worth of free games and discounts. I don't touch the minis, PSOne, PS2, themes, avatars, demos or betas, and still get far more money back than I fork over for PS+.

Totally worth it, no doubt about it.
    Last edited by ant1th3s1s; 04-30-2012 at 08:07 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast