Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lasombra Files: Episode 1: The Music Man

This is a discussion on Lasombra Files: Episode 1: The Music Man within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Welcome to the first issue of the Lasombra Files, a weekly interview series of the sites trophy hunters. From the ...

Legend...Nuff Said

Lasombra Files: Episode 1: The Music Man

Welcome to the first issue of the Lasombra Files, a weekly interview series of the sites trophy hunters. From the top of the elite to the up and comers, this is designed to put a spotlight on the hard work our community is doing. Tonight we have an in-depth look into the mind of one of the sites top rep’ed and top posting members: DaRe_xLw. His trophy collection is a solid piece of work focusing on titled runs and racing games. Sit back and enjoy the read.

Disclaimer: This interview is reproduced as written by the interviewee with the exception of spelling and some grammar corrections. DaRe's sig was created by Bladia.

Name:
    Darius (DaRe)
    Occupation: Currently a sophomore in high school, hoping to be an artist (drawing or music) or just anything I'm good at.

Lasombra: When did you start gaming?

DaRe: I was like three years old when I got to play a Gameboy Color playing Pokémon Blue, or at least that was my earliest memory of it. It wasn't until I was 6 I had a PS1, and my favorite game was Need for Speed 3: Hot Pursuit. After a year the game broke, and I've been playing video games since.

Lasombra: How did you choose your PSN name?

DaRe: A few years ago I used to play Midnight Club: LA Remix often for the PSP, and I was thinking of a good name for me to use for that game and maybe everywhere else I go. Because I like dogs, I thought of K9_Rage, and about a month later I made my PSN account, K9_Rage_Mastr. Mastr was just because.

Lasombra: Are you a trophy hunter, platinum hunter, or a specific hunter? (Example: All GoW game hunter)

DaRe: I could consider myself as a trophy hunter since that's one thing that keeps me going when playing my PS3, but I'm pretty laid back for the most part. I don't earn trophies as often as I used to, mostly because I don't have a lot of interesting games to play (at one point, any games I haven't played). I'm not all that concerned about trophies, but if it's a game I really like and think I can get the plat for it, I go for it.

I also like to get the platinum for all games in a collection, like Sly Cooper and Jak and Daxter, if possible. Because I love racing games, I try to earn those too if I own the game, except Midnight Club: Los Angeles glitched on me several times. :/ One way I look at it, the more games/trophies I earn, the more often I have to update it on my checklist. It's not always fun to update a checklist when you've earned a lot of trophies. Playing new games is more work than earning trophies of the same game, checklist wise.

Lasombra: How many hours do you dedicate to trophy hunting?

DaRe: Depends on how much free time I have (which I usually have a lot of), but usually between 2-6 hours a day I trophy hunt, depending on the day of the week, how much homework I have, or how much time I decide to spend on this site and others on my dad's laptop.

Now I play my PS3 for longer hours, usually playing games I like for fun and/or making music in LBP2 (which I currently have a shitton of).

Lasombra: What motivates you to go for that next trophy? How do you stay motivated after a long gaming session, particularly with grinding trophies?

DaRe: Usually if it's a game I never played before and if it's a game I really enjoy, even time consuming trophies. When I do experience grinding trophies, I will have to like the game a lot to be willing to grind through a trophy, otherwise it gets flat out boring and I tend to get real sleepy when that happens. So basically the fun factor of games.

Lasombra: Have you ever gone through any burnout from your sessions?

DaRe: Yes! When I'm playing games and have to do the same thing over and over again, eventually I get burned out. This typically happens when I either boost games or do the same thing over and over again to level up. Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit is a good example, when I did the same race over and over again to level up quickly for two trophies. That's the biggest reason why I wouldn't go back to games after I plat them.

Lasombra: What is your proudest platinum and why? Was it your hardest?

DaRe: WipEout HD is definitely my proudest platinum, but not necessarily my favorite. I got that game free from the Welcome Back Package on my alt account, and at first it wasn't that hard for me. Once I started going for later events in the game, as well as Beat Zico and Zone Zeus, it got really hard for me, but nothing too unbearable. Elite Campaign Legend is by far the most frustrating, annoying, aggravating, and ridiculous trophy I've ever earned! The game isn't only based on skill; it's also based on luck. You can be the best friggin racer of all time and the AI can still screw you over by attacking you at the wrong times! I have lost count of the amount of times I've lost because I got blown up or lost the lead in the last 5 seconds of the race, especially the race where all the AI racers can turn perfectly and you barely can. I'm so glad I got that trophy and the platinum, and I know there are many people out there who don’t have the game. Phew.

Need for Speed: The Run, LittleBigPlanet 2, and Burnout Paradise are honorable mentions because of fun factor and/or rarity of the platinum. Skyrim will be coming up soon.

Lasombra: Do you have a trophy goal for the year? If so, how far are you along in it?

DaRe: I hope to have at the very least 1500 trophies by the end of the year, knowing that I'm not going to earn as much trophies as I did last year, and platinum number is no longer of my concern. I'm currently at 1176 trophies, so I have another 324 trophies to go. Wish me luck.

Lasombra: Do you believe gamers should be allowed to make trophy hunting teams? Why or why not?

DaRe: As long as they don't affect other gamers (besides leaderboards), I really don't care. If they want to make trophy hunting groups, then let them be. I feel the same way for those who hack trophies or use data saves for trophies. It's not like it's preventing other people from getting any trophies or anything.

However, if it's for competition, unless it's against other trophy groups, I'm not in agreement to that. Let's say I was in a platinum race with someone, and I have a group of trophy hunters to get me the platinum faster. It wouldn't be fair since I have more than one person to get me to my goal while my opponent is by himself/herself. It just isn't fair in that perspective.

Lasombra: Do you think Sony should create a world database with every user’s PSN trophy info? Why or why not?

DaRe: I don't see why not. I think it would be nice to have something like that to be created. Even though I already know sites that do that, it would be pretty sweet to see on the next generation PlayStation console (if not the PS3).

Lasombra: Being an artist do you have a dream of composing or drawing for a video game company?

DaRe: I actually do. I love music with a passion and drawing is always fun to do, so I hope to get successful at it! Drawing for a video game, composing for a video game or movie or whatever it may be, I would be willing to build up the skills on that field and make it a profession. So far all I have is my LBP2 music and my drawings on my portfolio and sketch book, so I'll definitely try to get better at those for the future.

Lasombra: Has any game's music inspired you to keep playing? Something that was so epic you just had to keep playing to listen to more of it.

DaRe: I mostly played racing games in most of my gaming life, so definitely tracks from the Midnight Club games and Need for Speed games had kept me coming back to those games (or at least wish I could go back to them). Also some music from Pokémon (like the Route 101 song) as well as some other video game music from older games stand out to me. This was all before I got my PS3. After I got my PS3, it was some of the inFamous 2 soundtrack and Midnight Club: Los Angeles soundtrack that kept me going.

Last year, I got LBP2, and the soundtrack itself was alright, but once I discovered the Music Sequencer, it all went from there. It's the only reason why I still play LBP2, and it makes me feel more energetic and positive listening to what I come up with while doing my homework or drawing. Before I got a new room, I used to listen to it and post on these forums (as well as a few others), but now I have a newer room and the laptop I use is in a separate room due to the length of the Ethernet cord.

One funny thing, Burnout Paradise has the weirdest soundtrack, and Need for Speed: The Run has a wack soundtrack too. But, those songs I don't particularly like are what I like about those games. I prefer a bad soundtrack in a game than to not have any at all, because I just can't handle playing games with no sound for a period of time. I just can't do it. I swear if music didn't exist in video games I would've lost interest in them years ago. I can't function without any music in what I do, and the soundtrack for the games I mentioned is the only reason why I even bother to remember the good things about them.

Lasombra: What has been your favorite video game music so far? (Not counting your own creations)

DaRe:So far, it's really hard to say. Need for Speed: Underground 2 soundtrack, Midnight Club 2 soundtrack, Midnight Club 3: DUB Edition Remix soundtrack, any song from Pokémon, it's really hard to leave any of those out. Besides the music I generally listen to outside of video games (usually Hip-Hop/Rap and R&B), those became what I consider my favorite music, mostly because they're in the games I play! And since I've been asked this question, I'm going to go on YouTube and search those songs in my head. Nostalgia here I come!

I'd like to thank DaRe for the time to be the first episode of the new weekly interview series.

Love it, Hate it, write in the comments below and be heard by the community.

Missed an episode? Check out the Back Issues. No monthly subscription fee either!

Checkout the Facebook page or follow me on Twitter
    @LasombraFiles
    Last edited by Lasombra; 10-08-2012 at 08:08 PM.

L
    asombra Files Interviews and Top Trophy Tournament Commentary from Skip and Max linked in the banner.
    Checkout the Facebook page or follow me on Twitter @LasombraFiles
    My novels can be found here: The Lasombra Files: Choice and Consequence and
    Til Death Do Us Part
    Big thanks to the site for giving me my start as a writer!

Galaxy beauty pirate

I really like the intro and nice interview as well.
    Only the codes don't seem to work..

Edit: the codes seemed to have dissapeared now.
    Sig by Ramon

Legend...Nuff Said

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
    I really like the intro and nice interview as well.
    Only the codes don't seem to work..

Edit: the codes seemed to have dissapeared now.
    Yeah, the codes didn't work when I first posted the article. I was editing them when you were reading the article and took them out.

L
    asombra Files Interviews and Top Trophy Tournament Commentary from Skip and Max linked in the banner.
    Checkout the Facebook page or follow me on Twitter @LasombraFiles
    My novels can be found here: The Lasombra Files: Choice and Consequence and
    Til Death Do Us Part
    Big thanks to the site for giving me my start as a writer!

Rainbow in the dark

Its too freaking long keep the answers short dammit lol nah it was a nice read *i didnt read it*
    sig made by Bladia

Every time I drink a beer
    It makes your lazy eye disappear
    Every time I do a shot
    I think you're hot, but I know you're not
    Oh, I'm just trying to drink you pretty

PRO Member

Good start to the interviews dude

Harvester of Souls

Very intersting and pretty cool interview to learn about Dare . lol. and damn it Envious, stop spamming >:F >:F >:F *invades Envious' soul*

HOSTED BY GREAT DAZE TAZER!!!!! COME JOIN THE MAYHEM!!!

Guide Bar Created by Ds_luckay

Local Drunk

Nice interview, good to learn a bit more about my lil mate DaRe

Awesomely awesome sig by Beam & social group bar by DaRe
    The Local Drunk's Experience With Trophies

That Southern B****

Good luck DaRe on your trophy goal. May you exceed it

Nice start Lasombra. Ready for the next ^^
    Hitmon133: "Today's passage is taken from the Book of Coug. Chapter 56, Verse 46. >.>"

Epic Banner by Fawst <3

Toggle Spoiler

Platinum Procrastinator

Great start to the interviews Lasombra. Nice choice in selecting DaRe as well. I like the fact that it wasn't short answers and everything was thoroughly explained. The only thing I would suggest though is to maybe link the interviewee's ID in the beginning to their page. For example:

Forum ID: DaRe_xLw
    Name: Darius
    Occupation: Currently a sophomore in high school, hoping to be an artist (drawing or music) or just anything I'm good at.
    Like TV shows, join the Small Screen Gossip group!

A plat a month!

Awesome start for your interviews Lasombra!

Good to know more about you Dare! Awesome interview!

Lvl 9 - Gold

Solid stuff mate, hope seeing more in the future. One change I would like to see, add one or two last silly question. Or it may get too stale later on.
    Hand-bra Jeans

The exposure of the female's soft body. Whether you like it or not, being naked to the waist and the mismatch between the hard and thick jeans. The true essence is the union of girly and boyish styles.At the same time, the hand-bra forces even the current girls that lack shameful feelings to make an embarrassing pose. Depending on how it is seen, it also shows a form of eroticism by making it look like the girls are rubbing their own breasts.

Medaka Box

Check Those Corners

Very cool, my interview will be intresting too! Cant wait to see the final page. Keep it going man!

Huge Skip Bayless fan.

good read. quite interesting. didnt know dare was 16. i thought 14. man time flies

Formerly known as UrbanHellraiser

Rainbow in the dark

Quote Originally Posted by NeroRadec707 View Post
    Very intersting and pretty cool interview to learn about Dare . lol. and damn it Envious, stop spamming >:F >:F >:F *invades Envious' soul*
    I'm just joking its a personal opinion, i just dont like reading big chunks of texts without the use of any art or cool pics... It needs to look glamorous :sparkles:
    sig made by Bladia

Every time I drink a beer
    It makes your lazy eye disappear
    Every time I do a shot
    I think you're hot, but I know you're not
    Oh, I'm just trying to drink you pretty

Nope, nothing

Great interview Dare, it was definitely a cool read.

And that was really well put together Losambra I especially liked the little intro.

Keep them coming

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Awesome interview and enjoyed reading it. Can't wait to see the next one.

The One and Only

The Music Man huh? Sounds catchy.

Anyway thanks Lasombra for interviewing me and everyone who viewed it. It was fun answering those questions, and I hope it was just as fun for you guys to read them. I'll definitely read the upcoming episodes.

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig, Avy, and Bar Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist getting revived soon!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop, currently open!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

PRO Member

Great first interview. A bit long, but great read.

|
    Sig - Initial D - Mazda RX-7 (FC3S)|
    |by Smashguy |

|Avy - Animals As Leaders|

Plats-O'-War!!

Awesome interview!!! Can't wait to see the rest!

Retired

Great interview, I'm glad we're getting more activity recently.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast