State of the industry

This is a discussion on State of the industry within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; There are a few things that have been bugging me lately and I wanted to find out some opinions of ...

Lvl 3 - Bronze

State of the industry

There are a few things that have been bugging me lately and I wanted to find out some opinions of the forum. It is about the state of the industry and how companys have been doing. After hearing that Heavenly Sword 2 and Bayonetta 2 have been axed and that Sony and Nintendo have been reporting major losses it had me question the state of the industy. Are we really ready for the new generation of systems? I personally think coming out with new systems will kill the companys we enjoy and the developers that make such great games. If all the companys have been reporting losses who really has been reporting gains? I know Microsoft is hush when it comes to losses and profits. But if games like HS2 and B2 have been axed what gamjes are making a profit? I know Mass Effect 3 sold a ton and also Call of Duty useally sells alot but with everyone reporting losses and saying they have stop production on these games it really makes you wonder if we really need these new systems now or if we should wait at least 1-2 more years. Because really if the developers can't afford to make the games for theses systems who will?

Harvester of Souls

I agree with you.. if they can't turn a profit on the current state.. why should messing with something that should do even more be any different.. when we aren't even utilizing most of the time the current full power of today.

HOSTED BY GREAT DAZE TAZER!!!!! COME JOIN THE MAYHEM!!!

Guide Bar Created by Ds_luckay

Lvl 6 - Silver

I really dont think new systems would be the way to go right now. I give it 2-3 years before they are released even then i wouldnt be buying one.

INTJ

make sure you buy our super awesome season pass so you can enjoy online multiplayer and dlc that is already on the disc after you paid 60$ brand new for a copy. but at least you got a gamestop pre-order bonus of the super overpowered weapon of super death. if you trade it in if you don't like it you'll only get a nickel and you'll be back to buy black shooter ops 15: revenge of Strognov (if you can play it on our new console that is since we have game DRM.). Did i mention since you buy from gamestop unless you buy brand new your not supporting developers at all?

remember if you complain about a product you paid for it's pure entitlement and your not allowed to have opinions on games you think looks terrible until you play the gigantic pile of shit in it's entirety.

Why Take Risks when all these generic Sequel games keep making money?

sony will drop first, they are leaking too much money in too many sections like a japanese titanic, then the whole entire industry will come crumbling down.

Only Small indie companies and PC-Oriented game companies (CD Projekt, Valve, Blizzard possibly if they can find a way to split off from activison, etc.) will make it since they have a userbase that barely changes, make new innovative games, and have publicly funded stuff like kickstarters and such.

Nintendo might live, Microsoft will go "Fuck it" and go back to windows, and the cycle begins anew. Publishers/gamestops/etc. might not really exist after the next crash because everything will be the digital download age. Places like Steam and GOG will give the post-crash game development a head start.

Mobile Gaming will thrive somehow, but Social networking games will either collapse and burn or find some weird ass way to live.

it's coming, get all the good games while it lasts because next gen consoles are probably going to be the last gen. We are just waiting for the new ET.

Here's Some famous guys saying consoles and such are dying

Hideo Kojima Says Consoles are dying

http://www.tgdaily.com/games-and-ent...aming-is-dying

David Jaffe (Twisted Metal, God of War) says Consoles are dying

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news...ll-Be-the-Last

Epic Games Worrying about next gen

http://www.gamerevolution.com/news/e...consoles-11579

and a opinion article on games radar that actually makes sense

http://www.gamesradar.com/why-next-g...-to-PC-gaming/
    Last edited by Ps360; 05-02-2012 at 01:28 AM.

MK Plat = Overrated

I couldn't care either way. I don't play many games. There are still a ton of PS3 games that I'm waiting to play. I don't do the whole "back log" thing. In fact, I haven't played a game in a week or so (new game). All of the games I have are either at or 100%. I have the two Bioshock games on the way so, I'm in no rush to buy anything else. I have a whole wish list full of games that I will eventually get from Amazon.

With that said, I do think these companies are rushing into the next generation of things (if rumors are true). The Wii U is not a next generation system, by the way. That is a current generation system. The Wii was just a Gamecube with motion control. Welcome to the party Nintendo.

Legend...Nuff Said

Some companies have put their hand in the cookie jar too much, but I doubt the industry will collapse. There might be a retraction, and some companies might change aka like Sega, and some new companies might come into the fold, but the console industry won't die out. If PC gaming was this all conquering beast that will rule the gaming market. If that were the case then they would be doing so right now.

L
    asombra Files Interviews and Top Trophy Tournament Commentary from Skip and Max linked in the banner.
    Checkout the Facebook page or follow me on Twitter @LasombraFiles
    My novels can be found here: The Lasombra Files: Choice and Consequence and
    Til Death Do Us Part
    Big thanks to the site for giving me my start as a writer!

PRO Member

The problem is not actually anything to do with consoles in a true sense, its how console's business model is done.

Games pricing and license structure have become too cumbersome to perpetuate itself in the context of services like Steam and mobile games, and while PSN and XBL are good starts, they need to take that concept further and bring it out to the physical media area.

The new model for gaming, even to hardcore, focuses on short, well developed experience that have deep potential for additional, episodic gaming and micro-transactions. Experiences have to be distributed, not integrated.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

Game on....

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    Why Take Risks when all these generic Sequel games keep making money?
    Eventually those generic sequels will stop making huge amounts of money once they are bled dry and run out of new innovation and ideas.

sony will drop first, they are leaking too much money in too many sections like a japanese titanic, then the whole entire industry will come crumbling down.
    Sony will drop first? And that statement is based on what facts exactly?

Nintendo might live, Microsoft will go "Fuck it" and go back to windows, and the cycle begins anew. Publishers/gamestops/etc. might not really exist after the next crash because everything will be the digital download age. Places like Steam and GOG will give the post-crash game development a head start.
    That is what i like about you PS360, your sheer optimism