PS3 - Disc Drive Problem

This is a discussion on PS3 - Disc Drive Problem within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Hey again PS3Trophies.com community. I have a second problem with the 60GB-turned-500GB PS3. As of about 2:15AM EST this morning, ...

Hardcore!!!

PS3 - Disc Drive Problem

Hey again PS3Trophies.com community.

I have a second problem with the 60GB-turned-500GB PS3. As of about 2:15AM EST this morning, I was experiencing some Disc Drive problems. First off, it started to make some weird scratching noises (yet not scratching the discs) and secondly, it is no longer 100% pop-n-read on the first go. I tried multiple times (about 2-3 times per game) for the drive to properly read the disc.

FYI, I started the Install and Update of every single game I had in my collection at 10:30PM EST last night and I ended it at about 3:15AM with the last hour worrying that the disc was going to get stuck.

I understand that this may be the laser issue yet also, I want to know more about the problem before making a radical decision of, once again, opening up the system and switching out the disc drive.

Signature and Avatar done by apokolypz
    !~General Boosting and Blank General Friend Requests will be deleted. PERIOD.~!

Requiescat in pace

is sounds like the laser is giving you trouble might need a clean

Toggle Spoiler

Stay golden, Ponyboy

Sounds like the problem I had with my old PS3. Sony told me that my bluray drive was quitting on me. I think repair/replacement is the only option for you. I spent around $100 to replace mine through Sony.
    Avatar by TheGeneral09 | Platcard by RavenScythe
    My Trophy Checklist

Requiescat in pace

Quote Originally Posted by C_34_M View Post
    Sounds like the problem I had with my old PS3. Sony told me that my bluray drive was quitting on me. I think repair/replacement is the only option for you. I spent around $100 to replace mine through Sony.
    $100 WOW! its free in the UK

Toggle Spoiler

The Old Guy

If it really is just the laser itself, you can get them for about $20-$25 on eBay. It's a fairly complicated procedure to replace them, but definitely doable if you're a little bit handy with such things, find a good video and proceed very carefully.

Word of warning, though - I replaced mine and thought the problem (which was almost identical to what you're getting) was fixed, only to have it completely quit playing discs of any kind two days later. I decided to just give up and buy a new one.

Hardcore!!!

Thanks all. I'll more than likely have to pay $15 for the PS3 cleaning kit from gamestop along with getting a Disc Drive from ebay. I have a bet for a 60GB Disc Drive to make sure it can comprehend the 60DD-60MB (Disk Drive to Mother Board) setting it already has.

Other than that, and possibly a possible power outage which I should at least suspect next with another CPU/GPU overheating, my second PS3 is all set from ~462GB originally down to ~65GB and that's just with all the installation and update crap I have downloaded and installed in the past month. I am still deciding to install and update the Playstation Home to the 12GB (or what ever the highest is) just for the hell of it.

PRO Member

Yeah I would give the less expensive cleaning it a try first. It's good to run a cleaner through your system every 10 hours or so of use
    Sig by Alison//Avatar by kid420247//PPS BAR by RaveNScythE18

PRO Member

Does it sound like its spitting the disc out and sucking it back in? If so the same thing happened to me about 2 months and it went from reading the disc every 3 or 4 attempts to not at all within 2 weeks. I blagged a refurbished slim off sony even though my warranty was a month out. If yours is a original 60gb fatboy your better off getting the disc reader replaced.

Hardcore!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mattas22 View Post
    Does it sound like its spitting the disc out and sucking it back in? If so the same thing happened to me about 2 months and it went from reading the disc every 3 or 4 attempts to not at all within 2 weeks. I blagged a refurbished slim off sony even though my warranty was a month out. If yours is a original 60gb fatboy your better off getting the disc reader replaced.
    It sounds like it is trying to read the disc yet it isn't spitting the disc out. I have to manually eject the game and then reinsert it a couple of times in order for it to read properly.

Quote Originally Posted by ONUOsFan View Post
    If it really is just the laser itself, you can get them for about $20-$25 on eBay. It's a fairly complicated procedure to replace them, but definitely doable if you're a little bit handy with such things, find a good video and proceed very carefully.

Word of warning, though - I replaced mine and thought the problem (which was almost identical to what you're getting) was fixed, only to have it completely quit playing discs of any kind two days later. I decided to just give up and buy a new one.
    I was planning on replacing the whole Disk Drive so it'll be much less complicated than replacing the laser itself because of that reason, possible unplayability . . . I was about to write Dick because of the possible reversal between the c and the k in Disc/k

Quote Originally Posted by 00Highway00 View Post
    Yeah I would give the less expensive cleaning it a try first. It's good to run a cleaner through your system every 10 hours or so of use
    I was running the system disk drive at full capacity for a good 5 hours last night/this morning (10:30-3:15 is close enough to 5 hours). Inserting and ejecting disk after disc for about 25-30 games.

All this mainly started with the idea of about 30 minutes installing Metal Gear Solid 4 and 3D Dot Game Heroes yet turned into 5 hours of installing and updating every single game I have and that is including Playstation Move Heroes and R&C: All 4 One even though I already have both installed on the PS3.

Stay golden, Ponyboy

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja100 View Post
    $100 WOW! its free in the UK
    Mine was out of warranty I had used the PS3 almost every day for a little under 3 years.
    Avatar by TheGeneral09 | Platcard by RavenScythe
    My Trophy Checklist

Hardcore!!!

Update!

I just got the 80010514 Error by trying a PS3 game.

EDIT!!
    I just put in a PSX game in, worked, removed it, replaced it with the same PS3 game in, and it freaking works. . . . I am flabbergasted because I don't know what's going on anymore.

EDIT: I tried the Cleaner. it worked perfectly yet now the only problem is, the Blu-Ray Drive won't attempt to spin and read the discs. it accepts the discs and I am able to eject them yet there is no reading or spinning what so ever. . . any help, please?
    Last edited by JagDogger; 05-06-2012 at 02:42 PM.

Death is Awaiting....

Quote Originally Posted by JagDogger View Post
    EDIT: I tried the Cleaner. it worked perfectly yet now the only problem is, the Blu-Ray Drive won't attempt to spin and read the discs. it accepts the discs and I am able to eject them yet there is no reading or spinning what so ever. . . any help, please?

Sorry for the double post since there is a new problem and there are very few people who look at the bottom or on the next couple of page.
    Yeah, looks like your Blu-Ray just died on ya
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sig by Achantion

Hardcore!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Schismalicious View Post
    Yeah, looks like your Blu-Ray just died on ya
    Figures and thanks. Once I heard the trouble I was having that morning at 2:15A, I had a feeling that it was going to go. I'm still able to turn it on and play downloaded games and crap yet I guess I need to get a new 60GB Disc Drive.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Definitely sounds like your blu-ray laser is dead. I just went through the same thing with my old PS3 (120Gig Slim). I bout a new 320Gig Slim to replace it, but I also bought a new laser for the old one along with the tools needed to do the repair.

It's really not that tough of a fix if you have any experience with working on computers. There's several good YouTube videos out there that detail the process. I spent around $40 for the tools and new laser, so it's really the cheapest option. My old PS3 is now working great, with no disc problems since I did the repair.

Should you choose to live with it, your PS3 should still read PS1 games, DVDs and CDs. There are 2 lasers in the drive, and the standard one almost never dies out.

Lvl 7 - Gold

Probably the blu ray drive...

Requiescat in pace

Quote Originally Posted by C_34_M View Post
    Mine was out of warranty I had used the PS3 almost every day for a little under 3 years.
    say no more

Toggle Spoiler