Connection issues

This is a discussion on Connection issues within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Ok guys, I need your help with something. I'm using cable internet and a wired connection when playing on the ...

Lvl 8 - Gold

Connection issues

Ok guys, I need your help with something.

I'm using cable internet and a wired connection when playing on the PS3. The ethernet cable connects directly from the modem to the console.
    The problems started a few days ago. I can't stay logged on PSN for long. There are times when I can play a few rounds online and then suddenly get disconnected, or I'd just play singleplayer and get disconnected from PSN.

I tried turning both the console and the modem off and then on. I tried resetting the modem. It works for an hour and I get disconnected again. When I test the connection on the PC I don't notice any problems.

Now, I don't have a router so each time I want to go online with my PC or PS3 I have to turn the modem off and then on so I can use it with the other device. I try not to do it often, but could this be what's causing the problems? I never had problems with my connection until a few days ago.

Any help would be appreciated as I'd rather try and deal with this myself then deal with my ISP's customer support.

Harvester of Souls

Buy or get a cheap router from somewhere and see if that helps it now? Or could just be the modem itself going bad or shit net itself. Maybe a new cable is in order perhaps if router isn't an option?

Question.. What internet service do you have and your full hookup look like? Also, you did any upgrades or change of services from your ISP?

HOSTED BY GREAT DAZE TAZER!!!!! COME JOIN THE MAYHEM!!!

Guide Bar Created by Ds_luckay

Lvl 8 - Gold

Well, I'm finally going to go check with my ISP as I didn't have time in the last few days and I'd like to do this in person and not over the phone.

I have a feeling they blocked my PS3's MAC as they can see 2 different MAC addresses, one for my PC and the other for the PS3. Since I don't have a router, they probably thought someone was stealing my connection and blocked it. The funny thing is, I told them I have a PS3 and that's what the other device is when they told me about it a couple of years ago.

And yeah, I'm getting a router. It's about time.

Lvl 8 - Gold

good, so this problem is solved? This happens to me sometimes, even though i have a router.

TBH my situation is just a junk router.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

I work for an ISP, and if the one you have is anything like ours, we can't detect a mac address at our end, that's all internal. Part of the issue may be that you are running without a firewall. If you're just using the modem, it's a direct connection to the net. Guessing that if your isp requires you to use PPP login details, you have them entered on the pc.

Would always recommend using a router, that way you can have both devices connected at once, as all modern routers feature more than one ethernet port on the back of them.

Again, depending on the setup of your isp, constantly discinnecting your connection, rebooting the modem, can actually have a knock on effect on your speed. If their exchange equipment sees you have a large number of disconnections, then it may slow your speed to try and make the line more stable.

If you haven't already spoken to them, try asking if they can turn interleaving on on your line. WIll slow the connection a little, but will stabilise it a little.
    I was thinking about boasting about my :plat:'s and 100%'s, but then I thought why bother, not like they're anything amazing.

YLOD: 9/10/11. RIP

Lvl 8 - Gold

Thanks for the replies guys. I spoke to them in person and they fixed it. Turns out the connector on the cable that goes into the modem was not holding the cable in properly, so it was an easy fix.

I've had some issues with my ISP in the past and all of them were on their end. That's why I figured it was something to do with them blocking the MAC, since they did mess with settings several times before and I lost connection. Then when I call them they say it's not on their end...30 minutes later I get my internet back.

Other than a few mishaps like that, the ISP's pretty good and the speeds for which you pay are always as advertised, if not higher.

PRO Member

I'm so getting this pre-ordered.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I was having the exact same problem just last week. Turns out my modem went bad. New modem was the best purchase I've made in awhile. Sped up my internet a bit and a much more solid psn connection.

Lvl 8 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by bmj14772 View Post
    I'm so getting this pre-ordered.
    Well, this is PS3 related as that's the device I couldn't go online with. I'm sure the mods can move it if it's not in the right section.

Rainbow in the dark

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Assassin View Post
    Ok guys, I need your help with something.

I'm using cable internet and a wired connection when playing on the PS3. The ethernet cable connects directly from the modem to the console.
    The problems started a few days ago. I can't stay logged on PSN for long. There are times when I can play a few rounds online and then suddenly get disconnected, or I'd just play singleplayer and get disconnected from PSN.

I tried turning both the console and the modem off and then on. I tried resetting the modem. It works for an hour and I get disconnected again. When I test the connection on the PC I don't notice any problems.

Now, I don't have a router so each time I want to go online with my PC or PS3 I have to turn the modem off and then on so I can use it with the other device. I try not to do it often, but could this be what's causing the problems? I never had problems with my connection until a few days ago.

Any help would be appreciated as I'd rather try and deal with this myself then deal with my ISP's customer support.
    This has happened to me as well, i kept switching since my pc and ps3 are in different rooms.. turning your modem on and off is a bad thing so dont do it!... have your pc and ps3 in the same room so you dont have to keep disconnecting.. my connection problem is now solved
    sig made by Bladia

Every time I drink a beer
    It makes your lazy eye disappear
    Every time I do a shot
    I think you're hot, but I know you're not
    Oh, I'm just trying to drink you pretty