Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Activision likely facing legal issues because of Black Ops 2

This is a discussion on Activision likely facing legal issues because of Black Ops 2 within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Originally Posted by JackAttack It doesn't matter who brought it up with who; they both signed the legal document, and ...

The Old Guy

Quote Originally Posted by JackAttack View Post
    It doesn't matter who brought it up with who; they both signed the legal document, and now Activision is in violation of it. I can't see why IW wouldn't want to do anything about it.
    The phrase "don't bite the hand that feeds you" comes to mind.

IW may have an "understanding" with Activision saying that they own modern settings in the COD franchise, but guess who owns the COD Franchise. Activision. IW taking legal action against Activision seems just a bit counter-productive to me...

illegal in 9 countries

Quick refresher course -
    Top Infinity Ward devs fired for 'insubordination,' lawsuits 'expected' - GameSpot.com
    Fired Infinity Ward execs sue Activision - GameSpot.com
    Ex-Infinity Ward heads asking for $36 million in suit - GameSpot.com

This isn't about IW, it's about West and Zampella, the former heads of IW who own the Modern Warfare IP, as well as claiming ownership of the disputed CoD brand. I don't know if that includes Black Ops given the game was produced by Treyarch and it was released subsequent to the IW shake-down, but it comes under the same post-Vietnam CoD creative control umbrella. Read the above articles for a more comprehensive background.

Activision will have gone through all possible legal scenarios before even considering releasing a Call of Duty, Modern Warfare or Black Ops branded title. It's a billion dollar game to them and it'll be cheaper to pay out than not to brand it Black Ops 2. Furthermore, if there was going to be a problem, it should have surfaced with the release of MW3.

The likely outcome (if any) is Activision will tie up any legal action in red tape for years and never pay a dime, just as they've done with the $36 million dollar West / Zampella suit. The other party will run out of cash far before Activision...God bless their dirty little souls. Heaven has a special room just for you Bobby and it's full of fire, brimstone and pitchforks.

For the sake of argument, let's take West / Zampella out of it and make it an IW / Activision issue. That further assumes there's anyone left at IW with the balls or the legal right to take Activision to task over the IP licencing and the simple answer is, there isn't...Activision took great care to extinguish that possibility during the IW purge.

IW is owned by Activision and West / Zampella were replaced by Activision henchmen. They're definitely not doing anything about it internally.
    Last edited by ant1th3s1s; 05-08-2012 at 09:54 AM.

The Bushiest Pig

Quote Originally Posted by JackAttack View Post
    It doesn't matter who brought it up with who; they both signed the legal document, and now Activision is in violation of it. I can't see why IW wouldn't want to do anything about it.
    I know it's in the legal agreement ... but if Acti went and asked IW and IW gave the ok, I don't see how that is a problem ... unless no matter what it violates the agreement.

And a reason why they wouldnt want to do anything about it is because it might alienate/screw them (however you want to word it) from Acti so to speak .... and Acti is a big help in getting CoD to earn it's millions/billions.
    1st Place - VITA Trophy Guide of the Year, 2012 - Uncharted: Golden Abyss

2nd Place - CB Personality of the Year, 2011

2nd Place - DLC Trophy Guide of the Year, 2011 - Call of Duty: Black Ops Rezurrection

The Bushiest Pig

Another thought, Black Ops 2 has been in development for over a year ... IW most likely knew about it some time ago ... imo if they were gonna do something it'd been done by now.

2nd Place - DLC Trophy Guide of the Year, 2011 - Call of Duty: Black Ops Rezurrection

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Bushpig94 View Post
    Another thought, Black Ops 2 has been in development for over a year ... IW most likely knew about it some time ago ... imo if they were gonna do something it'd been done by now.
    This. the whole thing smells like a PR stunt - examine the target market for a typical COD game teenage males, step 1: imply that there is a problem with the release of said game eg might be the last Back Ops game, target market is riled-up. Step 2: any publicity is good publicity Step 3: announce an 11th hour compromise (that was probably in place months ago) Step 4: count the inevitable $ millions
    Hall of Fame - Best Platinum Trophies

Bioshock (100%) | LittleBigPlanet (100%) | Trine (100%) | Dead Nation (100%) | Batman: Arkham Asylum (100%) |
    Borderlands (100%) | Singularity (100%) | Dead Space (100%) | Bioshock 2 (100%) | Rage (100%) | Killzone HD (100%) |
    RESOGUN (100%)
    | Dead Nation: Apocalypse Edition (100%)

coming soon ... God of War (82%) | God of War II (88%)

Kiwi Defender

I know it's in the legal agreement ... but if Acti went and asked IW and IW gave the ok, I don't see how that is a problem ... unless no matter what it violates the agreement.

And a reason why they wouldnt want to do anything about it is because it might alienate/screw them (however you want to word it) from Acti so to speak .... and Acti is a big help in getting CoD to earn it's millions/billions.
    Here's a tip bush, read ant1's post which I've taken the liberty of quoting right below, comprehend it and realize it has nothing to do with IW (like I specualted at first):

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    Quick refresher course -
    Top Infinity Ward devs fired for 'insubordination,' lawsuits 'expected' - GameSpot.com
    Fired Infinity Ward execs sue Activision - GameSpot.com
    Ex-Infinity Ward heads asking for $36 million in suit - GameSpot.com

This isn't about IW, it's about West and Zampella, the former heads of IW who own the Modern Warfare IP, as well as claiming ownership of the disputed CoD brand. I don't know if that includes Black Ops given the game was produced by Treyarch and it was released subsequent to the IW shake-down, but it comes under the same post-Vietnam CoD creative control umbrella. Read the above articles for a more comprehensive background.

Activision will have gone through all possible legal scenarios before even considering releasing a Call of Duty, Modern Warfare or Black Ops branded title. It's a billion dollar game to them and it'll be cheaper to pay out than not to brand it Black Ops 2. Furthermore, if there was going to be a problem, it should have surfaced with the release of MW3.

The likely outcome (if any) is Activision will tie up any legal action in red tape for years and never pay a dime, just as they've done with the $36 million dollar West / Zampella suit. The other party will run out of cash far before Activision...God bless their dirty little souls. Heaven has a special room just for you Bobby and it's full of fire, brimstone and pitchforks.

For the sake of argument, let's take West / Zampella out of it and make it an IW / Activision issue. That further assumes there's anyone left at IW with the balls or the legal right to take Activision to task over the IP licencing and the simple answer is, there isn't...Activision took great care to extinguish that possibility during the IW purge.

IW is owned by Activision and West / Zampella were replaced by Activision henchmen. They're definitely not doing anything about it internally.
    And regarding the Bobby part, I've got just the picture for that:

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Harvester of Souls

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    Here's a tip bush, read ant1's post which I've taken the liberty of quoting right below, comprehend it and realize it has nothing to do with IW (like I specualted at first):

And regarding the Bobby part, I've got just the picture for that:

LOL!!!! Agreed with you Naggles and with post quoted

EDIT: Quote didn't quote too but no matter. Still makes great sense.

HOSTED BY GREAT DAZE TAZER!!!!! COME JOIN THE MAYHEM!!!

Guide Bar Created by Ds_luckay

Rainbow in the dark

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    I wonder how much this is IW's doing and not the ex-owners who left to EA years ago. Either way, this won't be the end of the CoD franchice. You've got to be really naive and a dreamer (if not stupid) to actually believe this will take down the franchice as a whole. It could halt BO2's development and release (but not for long), but it won't be able to take down the behemoth.
    Agreed.. it would be like filing a lawsuit against GOD for doing a crappy job on some of the humans
    sig made by Bladia

Every time I drink a beer
    It makes your lazy eye disappear
    Every time I do a shot
    I think you're hot, but I know you're not
    Oh, I'm just trying to drink you pretty

Lvl 6 - Silver

No more CoD what ever shall I do....:stare:

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja-In-A-Tree View Post
    Obviously, this isn't gonna kill the CoD franchise (unfortunately).

Most likely what will happen is some sort of agreement on royalties and damages will be reached and IW will walk away making millions on a game they didn't even make. Win for them.

However, I'm hoping that the judge forces Activision to shut down production of Black Ops 2, pushing them back to the drawing board to come up with a new version of the game.

I will laugh so hard at that. I may even throw a block party.
    Amen to that, man. And here's to hoping!

PLATINUM TROPHY HITLIST:
    - ALIEN BREED: IMPACT
    - DIABLO 3
    - DEAD SPACE 2
    - THE ELDER SCROLLS V: SKYRIM
    - THE LAST OF US

Lvl 9 - Gold

I hope it delays the game by like 3-4 months at least because im sure they will agree to paying them money if they have to, to get it out the door for their 600m+ whatever profits they'll make off actually getting it sold.

Will give other FPS titles a chance to get some attention instead of year after year the same stuff.

The Bushiest Pig

Quote Originally Posted by Waystedyou View Post
    I hope it delays the game by like 3-4 months at least because im sure they will agree to paying them money if they have to, to get it out the door for their 600m+ whatever profits they'll make off actually getting it sold.

Will give other FPS titles a chance to get some attention instead of year after year the same stuff.
    Not even the end of the world would cause Acti to delay a CoD game.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12