PS3 question

This is a discussion on PS3 question within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; This is just a tiny nuisance that I have with my PS3, and I want to know if it is ...

Lvl 3 - Bronze

PS3 question

This is just a tiny nuisance that I have with my PS3, and I want to know if it is normal.

Whenever I start up a game, the PS3 makes weird noises. It keeps doing this for about 15 minutes before it stops.

Is this normal?

Awesome sig and avy by JakeSS14

PRO Member

hard to say, what kind of strange noises? Sounds like a jet engine? sounds like grinding gears? if you give an example it would be easier to diagnose the problem. Any strange noises coming from the PS3 isn't necessarily normal, but depending on the sound it's making it may or may not be harmful to the hardware/software.

Awesome sig by
    Kid420247! Thank you so much!!!

Many thanks to RaveNScythe18
    for the awesome platcard!!!

My Trophy List
    : Click Here

Lvl 7 - Gold

a blowing noise, I would say no problem.

beeping, well I'd get it checked out.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Trunksu25 View Post
    hard to say, what kind of strange noises? Sounds like a jet engine? sounds like grinding gears? if you give an example it would be easier to diagnose the problem. Any strange noises coming from the PS3 isn't necessarily normal, but depending on the sound it's making it may or may not be harmful to the hardware/software.
    It sounds mostly like grinding gears.

PRO Member

Gears grinding sounds like a problem with your blue-ray drive, if it is still under warrenty I would give sony a call, and see if they could switch the drive out for you (make sure to tell them you want your current system back but fixed, or they will just send a replacement) there is a slim chance something is caught in the drive, but from the sounds of it the drive is taking a bit of time to get up to speed, which is causing the grinding sound that eventually disappears. If your system is no longer under warrenty I would suggest checking your area for a computer repair shop and seeing if they do console repairs. Hopefully this helps you out

Awesome sig by

My Trophy List

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Trunksu25 View Post
    Gears grinding sounds like a problem with your blue-ray drive, if it is still under warrenty I would give sony a call, and see if they could switch the drive out for you (make sure to tell them you want your current system back but fixed, or they will just send a replacement) there is a slim chance something is caught in the drive, but from the sounds of it the drive is taking a bit of time to get up to speed, which is causing the grinding sound that eventually disappears. If your system is no longer under warrenty I would suggest checking your area for a computer repair shop and seeing if they do console repairs. Hopefully this helps you out
    Thank you

PRO Member

no problem, hopefully you can have the issue resolved with little to no trouble! Best of luck!

Awesome sig by

My Trophy List

Lvl 8 - Gold

Since this question has been answered, i reported it to the mods so they can close it. If anyone objects, post now or forever hold your peace.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Oops, I forgot to close it.