Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What makes or breaks a game for you?

This is a discussion on What makes or breaks a game for you? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; In terms of: -Graphics -Gameplay -Sound -Replay value -etc -etc For example i can just sit down right now and ...

Rainbow in the dark

What makes or breaks a game for you?

In terms of:

-Graphics
    -Gameplay
    -Sound
    -Replay value
    -etc
    -etc

For example i can just sit down right now and play final fantasy 6 even when i'm spoiled by the ps3 graphics, so that means graphics aren't important to me as long as the gameplay is good.
    If you had to choose one while the rest were to be mediocre, which would it be?
    sig made by Bladia

Every time I drink a beer
    It makes your lazy eye disappear
    Every time I do a shot
    I think you're hot, but I know you're not
    Oh, I'm just trying to drink you pretty

Galaxy beauty pirate

For me: gameplay (most important) and story (2nd). I can find myself playing a game with excellent gameplay and a unintereting story. The other factors don't count that much. It's more the whole package of a game and it's genre.
    Sig by Ramon

PRO Member

If i find a game that s fun then it ll b dont care bout graphic story etc

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

Replay value is top for me, if it's the story or just that it was fun to play then i will start again near enough straight away, also helps in those tedious
    die/ restart bits that you want to try again.

Graphics don't matter generally but PsOne titles have aged horridly compared to older games, the transition to 3D was a choppy one, i can barely play Resident Evil or Driver now because frankly, they look like a drunken child's game design school did it.

Huge Skip Bayless fan.

replay value and trophies

Formerly known as UrbanHellraiser

Saints Row IV

Replay value, story and gameplay
    Epic avatar by PixieOfDarkness!
    Epic signature by spanishstoat

Click on my Signature to check my website

Lvl 8 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Enviouswrath View Post
    In terms of:

-Graphics
    -Gameplay
    -Sound
    -Replay value
    -etc
    -etc

For example i can just sit down right now and play final fantasy 6 even when i'm spoiled by the ps3 graphics, so that means graphics aren't important to me as long as the gameplay is good.
    If you had to choose one while the rest were to be mediocre, which would it be?
    I struggle with this idea each time i play a different game.

It all really depends, as i cant lay it out like you ask. Its just not that simple.

For me graphics never was a reason to get a game or to enjoy it. I grew up on the old systems, so pixels are fine, as long as it was a fun enjoyable game (the more people that are able to play raises the fun for me). That said, any game with clear graphics of beautiful women and great action details show what great games we have now, from previous years

Music is high on my list, as i play more music/ rhythm type games, as i enjoy music so much (i am horrible at it though)

For me story and gamplay make or break how interested i am in the game. If the game is fun, i could give the story. But if the game is horrible, story makes up the gap by making me want to know whats next.

Most games have some replay value, but i doesnt factor in, since thats after you beat your first playthrough. If you think about it, everything has replay value, if your willing to start all over again on a blank account.

Quote Originally Posted by El Jefe View Post
    replay value and trophies
    I would like to add trophies, as that is the number 1 thing that helps me decide to buy or not. Honestly, i buy some crappy games for trophies.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

For me...painfully long loading times or idiotically spaced checkpoints can break a game.

And although its a rarity, a well written story absolutely makes a game for me, and can overcome poor visuals or minor design flaws.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by AngeldeLeo View Post
    If i find a game that s fun then it ll b dont care bout graphic story etc
    I agree completely with this. As long as a game is fun to play, then I don't really care about the graphics, or the story, or whatever. Street Fighter games will never be renowned for their deep plots, yet they're consistently fun to play. The graphics in the Assassin's Creed series aren't the best that PS3 has to offer, but again, I can overlook that because I enjoy the games so much.

Closing this account

For me it will be if the game is being talked about to much. I prefer to wait a year of so and then get that game.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Gameplay & if it's fun.

Some of my favorite games have not been considered great, or even good, but I enjoy them for what they are.

Lvl 7 - Gold

Graphics mean shit to me. Yeah it's nice to look at a pretty game but it has zero stock in deciding what I'm playing. I'm not too sure about replay value as I'll play a game even if it's re-playability is low.

Gameplay and music are the big things for me. I can play a game with a crappy story as long as I'm really enjoying the gameplay, like Just Cause 2 and Vanquish for example. I wouldn't say music can break a game for me, but it can definitely be what makes the game. The best example I can give is Chrono Cross. I think Chrono Cross would still be a good game on it's own, but if it weren't for the soundtrack in the game I can almost guarantee that I wouldn't think as highly of the game as I do.

Sig and avatar courtesy of ABSTRACT678
    Platbar courtesy of ThunderStick

Local Drunk

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
    For me: gameplay (most important) and story (2nd). I can find myself playing a game with excellent gameplay and a unintereting story. The other factors don't count that much. It's more the whole package of a game and it's genre.
    Exactly this ^

Awesomely awesome sig by Beam & social group bar by DaRe
    The Local Drunk's Experience With Trophies

WHO DAT!!!!

fun factor is number one and if the trophy list doesnt suck ass

Game on....

Basically a game needs to keep my attention. Gameplay is obviously the most important factor because i want fun and enjoyment from the game. Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 is a game with great gameplay in my opinion. Graphics are actually a big deal for me but not just in the visual detail, but in the games atmosphere and depth. For example a game like shadow of the colossus has atmosphere, depth and scale although the graphics are actually dated. Level design and background detail matter and a game like bioshock is a good example of how a games atmosphere and detail constantly gives the gamer the impression that the rapture is under the ocean. Also a games soundtrack is crucial to a games atmosphere. Take Assassin's Creed and the awesome soundtracks that add actually add to the atmosphere rather than taking away from it.

Replay value and longetivity matter to me as well.

PRO Member

Online trophies being needed to get platinum breaks the game for me... enough said... FUCKERS!
    Last edited by ChrisValentine; 05-17-2012 at 02:38 PM.

R.I.P Ps3 02/01/14 :(

Like most others have said in here,for me its got to be enjoyable.If a game your playing isnt enjoyable and fun then it becomes more like a chore to play it.Graphics do matter and so do the rest of the aspects regarding gaming but above all else enjoying it has to come first.And if the trophie list has some ridiculously unobtainable trophies,then at least you will definately enjoy the game your trying to plat.

Sig and avy by the awesomely talented stupot00 and GDT bar by the excellent djunglist

Regional Manager of War

Gameplay is a must for me, I can get through a game with a lousy story, weak graphics, and lame soundtrack, but if the gameplay is fun I won't matter to me
    Last edited by Admiral_Awesome91; 05-17-2012 at 02:44 PM.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Main Character:

When Hawk in DA2 wouldn´t SHUT THE F*** UP and saying something entirely different from the speech option I just wanted him to die.

When Duke let his bitches (no offense) get raped and pregged by aliens, I had demote him to sucker of the year.

When Cloud wouldn´t get over his emo state half through the game, I bailed.
    Hand-bra Jeans

The exposure of the female's soft body. Whether you like it or not, being naked to the waist and the mismatch between the hard and thick jeans. The true essence is the union of girly and boyish styles.At the same time, the hand-bra forces even the current girls that lack shameful feelings to make an embarrassing pose. Depending on how it is seen, it also shows a form of eroticism by making it look like the girls are rubbing their own breasts.

Medaka Box

Lvl 5 - Silver

-Graphics = not as important, but it should reflect the console it is on.

-Gameplay = the most important thing. Without good gameplay, there really is no reason to play the game.

-Sound = having a soundtrack that fits the mood of the game is very important, some of my favorite songs are from videogames.

-Replay value = as long as it has NG+ I don't mind about anything else. If it doesn't, then it shouldn't be required to play the game more than once.

-Story = an important element, but I'll play through a game regardless of the story if the gameplay is fun.

Working On:
    "Fallout: New Vegas [Ultimate Edition]" - 59%,
    "Devil May Cry 3" - 14%,
    "Dead Storm Pirates" - 52% (3/5 S Rank)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast