Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 87

Who here cannot wait for Dragon's Dogma tmr? =3

This is a discussion on Who here cannot wait for Dragon's Dogma tmr? =3 within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Originally Posted by cocoasg Actually, you got a point there! I had not really thought much about comparing western to ...

  1. #61
    KCCO!
    Hitman's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,748
    Reputation
    196

    Quote Originally Posted by cocoasg View Post
    Actually, you got a point there! I had not really thought much about comparing western to JRPG types, since I just clump together RPG's made in Japan as JRPG's, and western RPG's being made in the West as just that. But giving it a second thought, true, Demon's/Dark Souls are in the western RPG vein while White Knight Chronicles, FF and Dragon's Dogma are in the JRPG vein.

    But yes, this extra, second classification is very confusing at best. I would rather refer to both Souls games and Dragon's Dogma as both JRPG's, for the sake of abstraction. ^^
    So, Dragon's Dogma is more turn-based combat RPG?

  2. #62
    \(^o^)/ (・。・)
    cocoasg's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    693
    Reputation
    59

    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
    So, Dragon's Dogma is more turn-based combat RPG?
    I will be starting the game in a short while, but what I had seen so far from checking it out, it is a hybrid of action-RPG and hack-and-slash, with some horror elements added in. *shrug*

    Quoting a few interesting tidbits from the wiki description:

    The pawns are vocal, yelling out useful hints and strategies, which are often vitally important to surviving tough boss encounters and dungeons, which is seen as an evolution of the message-leaving system in Dark Souls.[13] The pawn system will also feature social networking features.
    The game's large open-world environments have drawn comparisons to Capcom's own Monster Hunter series as well as The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.[5] In addition to the large open world, Dragon's Dogma will also feature a large city environment with over 200 NPCs who will move about according to their own time schedules. The player will be able to communicate with the residents in full voice.[10] The game features a persistent world with a day-night cycle; this affects the gameplay during the night, when the game takes on a more survival horror feel reminiscent of Capcom's Resident Evil series.[7] In addition, the game's art style and character movements have been compared to Dark Souls,[7] the hack-and-slash combat elements have been compared to Devil May Cry[6] and Dark Souls,[13] some of the fantasy elements have been compared to Breath of Fire,[2] and the combat and party systems have been compared to Monster Hunter.[5]
    | Avatar by In2 | | Sig by Athena |


  3. #63
    KCCO!
    Hitman's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,748
    Reputation
    196

    Well, from the small amount of gameplay I've seen, it seems more closely like the Elder Scrolls type games, with a vast amount of NPC's, changing environment, etc. The combat didn't seem much like the Souls games. So, basically, it seems like a fully-third-person Skyrim, with a bit more refined combat system, but still not comparable to the Souls. I'll await your verdict on it once you've played it.

  4. #64
    Lvl 10 - Platinum
    ferretbusiness's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Hovering pattern
    Posts
    1,860
    Reputation
    31

    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
    So, Dragon's Dogma is more turn-based combat RPG?
    try the demo, like an actiony rpg or hack n slasher, not turn based at all

  5. #65
    KCCO!
    Hitman's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,748
    Reputation
    196

    Quote Originally Posted by ferretbusiness View Post
    try the demo, like an actiony rpg or hack n slasher, not turn based at all
    I have a small HD, so I usually don't go for dl'ing demos. I usually catch some vids on YT. I was only asking because of how cocoa was phrasing his response above.

  6. #66
    Lvl 10 - Platinum
    ferretbusiness's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Hovering pattern
    Posts
    1,860
    Reputation
    31

    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
    I have a small HD, so I usually don't go for dl'ing demos. I usually catch some vids on YT. I was only asking because of how cocoa was phrasing his response above.
    videos dont always do it justice, the combat is fairly fastpaced but also a little clunky, its not a smooth action game like gow, but somewhat like skyrim with some modifications added in like climbing on larger enemies and some ai companions

  7. #67
    \(^o^)/ (・。・)
    cocoasg's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    693
    Reputation
    59

    Update on Dragon's Dogma, after my own amazing experience of 1 day of playtime:

    OMFG, I was right when I first saw the trailer of Dragon's Dogma and thought that this was the next definitive action-RPG to come along. Wow, that was the most fun I had ever had playing a RPG, and Capcom really did incredible on the online pawn system.

    In fact, all the videos and previews of Dragon's Dogma before its release are nowhere near delivering the justice that it so deserves. The combat seemed slow, because it is actually so REALISTIC when you play the game yourself. I cannot say much but the difficulty of this game is fairly hard, especially with terrifying monsters later on and combat being like a real-life live or die situation.

    The cream on the cake is of course the online pawn system. The beauty of it is you being able to recruit other players' main pawns, with their own strengths and abilities, into your own party in a single-player world that is at once always connected to the Internet. At the same time, your main pawn is being shared into other players' worlds, helping him/her to survive encounters.

    Did I also mention the sick, endless variety of RPG elements in the game, so much that it puts Skyrim to shame? The world is also quite big and intimidating. Now, I keep asking myself, how did Skyrim even become popular in the first place? Dragon's Dogma is what Skyrim should have been. That should be enough to give you some nice thoughts about this game, I bet. ^o^

    Okay, excuse me while I spend another sleepless night on the same weekend slaying hydras, cyclops, and maybe finally a dragon. *yawn*
    | Avatar by In2 | | Sig by Athena |


  8. #68
    Nope, nothing
    Chambers35's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    South Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    5,674
    Reputation
    462

    Quote Originally Posted by cocoasg View Post
    Did I also mention the sick, endless variety of RPG elements in the game, so much that it puts Skyrim to shame? The world is also quite big and intimidating. Now, I keep asking myself, how did Skyrim even become popular in the first place? Dragon's Dogma is what Skyrim should have been. That should be enough to give you some nice thoughts about this game, I bet. ^o^
    Skyrim has soooo many more RPG elements to it than Dragon's Dogma, I'm not sure what game you're playing

    But I do prefer this to Skyrim, I think

  9. #69
    \(^o^)/ (・。・)
    cocoasg's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    693
    Reputation
    59

    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers35 View Post
    Skyrim has soooo many more RPG elements to it than Dragon's Dogma, I'm not sure what game you're playing

    But I do prefer this to Skyrim, I think
    Hey, if you count useless books and not much RPG materiality, then Skyrim would have more RPG elements than this. The combat system in Skyrim was quite bland though; slaying a dragon was at best like hitting a wooden statue. Here in Dragon's Dogma, I can really expect my first dragon encounter to give me hell... for real. >_< Wait until we have to tackle the Ur-Dragon together with other players as well....
    | Avatar by In2 | | Sig by Athena |


  10. #70
    Nope, nothing
    Chambers35's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    South Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    5,674
    Reputation
    462

    Quote Originally Posted by cocoasg View Post
    Hey, if you count useless books and not much RPG materiality, then Skyrim would have more RPG elements than this. The combat system in Skyrim was quite bland though; slaying a dragon was at best like hitting a wooden statue. Here in Dragon's Dogma, I can really expect my first dragon encounter to give me hell... for real. >_< Wait until we have to tackle the Ur-Dragon together with other players as well....
    The books being there are a sign of an RPG element, the fact you could cut wood etc added more RPG elements. What does Dragon's Dogma have like that?

    Skyrim is a more involving RPG, no doubt about it.

    But like I said, I prefer DD, but saying it has more than Skyrim is just plain silly

  11. #71
    Lvl 4 - Silver
    TingTingPanda's Avatar


    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Seaside City of Bodhum
    Posts
    297
    Reputation
    2

    Dragon's Dogma looks incredible but is it only for the 360?

    My - God of War, God of War II, God of War III, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, Shadow of Mordor, The Last of Us

  12. #72
    Lvl 10 - Platinum
    ferretbusiness's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Hovering pattern
    Posts
    1,860
    Reputation
    31

    Quote Originally Posted by TingTingPanda View Post
    Dragon's Dogma looks incredible but is it only for the 360?
    ps3 also, no pc i believe

  13. #73
    \(^o^)/ (・。・)
    cocoasg's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    693
    Reputation
    59

    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers35 View Post
    The books being there are a sign of an RPG element, the fact you could cut wood etc added more RPG elements. What does Dragon's Dogma have like that?

    Skyrim is a more involving RPG, no doubt about it.

    But like I said, I prefer DD, but saying it has more than Skyrim is just plain silly
    Heh, okay, I got your point. I also prefer DD too but I guess Skyrim has more RPG elements, and well despite its many bugs and glitches, it was a good RPG for its time. Still, the bugs and glitches really put it one notch below DD, I do not think I have ever come upon a glitch in DD yet. ^^
    | Avatar by In2 | | Sig by Athena |


  14. #74
    KCCO!
    Hitman's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,748
    Reputation
    196

    The online pawn system does sound interesting. It's something innovative, much like how the MP aspect of the Souls games, primarily Demon's Souls, introduced another flavor of MP gameplay. My interest is piqued.

  15. #75
    Lvl 9 - Gold
    YumeOMiru's Avatar


    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Reality, sadly......
    Posts
    1,463
    Reputation
    26

    Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    Can someone explain the appeal of Dragon's Dogma...I'm failing to see it.

    Based on the videos posted to date, the graphics look bland, player movement is slow, combat is clunky & lacks impact and the AI is dumb as dogshit.

    Given the hook of the game is the pawns, they kinda suck. They just stand there like shop mannequins when foes are right in front of them, which dulls any sense of immersion.

    Sorry to be a Debbie Downer - I'm genuinely interested in this game, but it looks like B-Grade garbage and I seem to be missing the point.

    Youīre a classic case of "I donīt fill in the _____". Is very easy to understand why you see no appeal in it. First off the main character, the dude/gal you play, the Arisen, he/she is YOU. And thatīs one of your problem. I know weird huh, "why canīt I play somebody badass with badass personality who have done badass things?"
    The thing is, a game where the main character is suppose to be you, you need to do a little work. Is not enough just playing the game for you. You need to "insert" a couple of things.

    Let me tell you what youīre missing. You donīt have fantasies. You probably donīt know, but alot of kids have had fantasies of being a hero slaying dragons, saving princesses, becoming a legend and so forth. So for us, this is a chance to do that, play out our fantasies. The character creator pretty much let us mold us self into the game. And thank heavens and what not that the Arisen is STFU (looking you F****** Hawk DA2).

    The second thing, is related to the first, since you never had a fantasy of you being in a medieval/fantasy setting, you probably havenīt thought of having your own personal sidekick. The sidekick accompanying the hero (you) to countless adventures. Heck why not make the pawn the sister you never had? Or even a friend from real life?

    See, you canīt find the fun in you being the protagonist in a medieval/fantasy world kicking ass and saving the day, going into the horizon with your trusty partner. Yeah, you canīt see that right? Then of course this game is not for you.

    We others who see that, we love this game for letting us do that.

    And

    IīM DYING, CAN`T WAIT, 15 h more before I can pick it up.

    Hope I helped
    Hand-bra Jeans

    The exposure of the female's soft body. Whether you like it or not, being naked to the waist and the mismatch between the hard and thick jeans. The true essence is the union of girly and boyish styles.At the same time, the hand-bra forces even the current girls that lack shameful feelings to make an embarrassing pose. Depending on how it is seen, it also shows a form of eroticism by making it look like the girls are rubbing their own breasts.

    Medaka Box


  16. #76
    Lvl 1 - Bronze
    Muff Diver's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    30
    Reputation
    0

    I don't know about this game. It looks all right at the same time it doesn't. I guess what I'm trying to say is I don't see anything compelling about it that screams I need to play it when my backlog is already half-way to the ceiling.

  17. #77
    Game on....
    Timeless-Enigma's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,915
    Reputation
    348

    I got Dragon's Dogma this morning and i cannot wait to start playing it later

  18. #78
    Lvl 10 - Platinum
    ferretbusiness's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Hovering pattern
    Posts
    1,860
    Reputation
    31

    just picked this up but have to wait a couple hours until the kid goes to nap land, hoping it is as awesome as people have been saying, been a long time since ive actually bought a new game, most of the tab was picked up by giftcards ive been hoarding for months

  19. #79
    KCCO!
    Hitman's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,748
    Reputation
    196

    Quote Originally Posted by YumeOMiru View Post
    Youīre a classic case of "I donīt fill in the _____". Is very easy to understand why you see no appeal in it. First off the main character, the dude/gal you play, the Arisen, he/she is YOU. And thatīs one of your problem. I know weird huh, "why canīt I play somebody badass with badass personality who have done badass things?"
    The thing is, a game where the main character is suppose to be you, you need to do a little work. Is not enough just playing the game for you. You need to "insert" a couple of things.

    Let me tell you what youīre missing. You donīt have fantasies. You probably donīt know, but alot of kids have had fantasies of being a hero slaying dragons, saving princesses, becoming a legend and so forth. So for us, this is a chance to do that, play out our fantasies. The character creator pretty much let us mold us self into the game. And thank heavens and what not that the Arisen is STFU (looking you F****** Hawk DA2).

    The second thing, is related to the first, since you never had a fantasy of you being in a medieval/fantasy setting, you probably havenīt thought of having your own personal sidekick. The sidekick accompanying the hero (you) to countless adventures. Heck why not make the pawn the sister you never had? Or even a friend from real life?

    See, you canīt find the fun in you being the protagonist in a medieval/fantasy world kicking ass and saving the day, going into the horizon with your trusty partner. Yeah, you canīt see that right? Then of course this game is not for you.

    We others who see that, we love this game for letting us do that.

    And

    IīM DYING, CAN`T WAIT, 15 h more before I can pick it up.

    Hope I helped
    Useless post is useless.

  20. #80
    Game on....
    Timeless-Enigma's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,915
    Reputation
    348

    I have played Dragon's Dogma for about three hours and i absolutely cannot get enough of this game. I have nothing negative to say about the game so far. My only minor gripe is the black bars at the top and bottom of the screen! Why the letterbox? The first town has so much to do and tons of quests and the amount of items i have found hidden around is staggering. I went to the shop and purchased the most expensive equipment after selling so much stuff i hoarded just in the town alone.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:22 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.10
Copyright © 2018 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO