Epic Games Has seen the Ps4/Xbox 720 Specs, They arn't powerful enough apparently.

This is a discussion on Epic Games Has seen the Ps4/Xbox 720 Specs, They arn't powerful enough apparently. within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Epic Games Has Seen PS4/Xbox 720 Specs, They’re Not Powerful Enough | Games Thirst Epic Games has a unique position ...

INTJ

Epic Games Has seen the Ps4/Xbox 720 Specs, They arn't powerful enough apparently.

Epic Games Has Seen PS4/Xbox 720 Specs, They’re Not Powerful Enough | Games Thirst

Epic Games has a unique position in the games industry because Unreal Engine, owned by the venerable firm, is used by more developers than any other. Because of this, the company’s bosses believe they have the ability to help shape what next generation games should look like, however after seeing PS4 and Xbox 720′s specs, they’ve concluded it’s not enough and are actively lobbying Sony and Microsoft to make the next PlayStation and Xbox more powerful.

“There is a huge responsibility on the shoulders of our engine team and our studio to drag this industry into the next generation,” said Gears of War design director Cliff Bleszinski in a Wired article. “It is up to Epic, and Tim Sweeney in particular, to motivate Sony and Microsoft not to phone in what these next consoles are going to be. It needs to be a quantum leap. They need to damn near render Avatar in real time, because I want it and gamers want it – even if they don’t know they want it.”

Epic Games founder Tim Sweeney added: “We’re much more in sync with the console makers than any other developer is. That means we can give detailed recommendations with a complete understanding of what is going to be commercially possible.”

With the recently released Unreal Engine 4 screenshots, Epic Games is hoping to set a high standard for the next batch of consoles, and we applaud them for their efforts. But will Sony and Microsoft take seriously what the firm has to say? Because although Epic Games is giving advise freely, at the end of the day it’ll take lots of cash to have PS4 and Xbox 720 render such visuals, and we all know who’s footing the bill.

Unreal Engine 4 will be unveiled at E3 next month.

Well epic games my fine men, there's a secret ive been wanting to talk about involving those dashing pcs.

Retired

Wii U's engine sucks. Now fanboy over how much 'it doesn't'.

Huge Skip Bayless fan.

compared to the wiiu they both will have alien technology so its fine by me

Formerly known as UrbanHellraiser

Lvl 7 - Gold

I want it and gamers want it – even if they don’t know they want it.
    That's the most arrogant thing I've ever heard.

NSFW

Well, I wont take that stuff too seriously from a game company which title is false advertisement.

Sig made by Beam. Platbar by Thunder.

Sig made by Beam.
    Platbar made by Thunder.

Death is Awaiting....

Quote Originally Posted by gyrocop View Post
    Well, I wont take that stuff too seriously from a game company which title is false advertisement.
    I see what you did there lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sig by Achantion

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by gyrocop View Post
    They own the biggest game engine of all time, every game dev has used it at one point (except for ones like Valve and DICE who use their own engines.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...nreal_Engine_3

so yea their opinion is pretty valuable.

PRO Member

meh...as long as its better than WiiU and is capable of things the PS3 was not (in game music, cross game voice chat etc.) its good enough for me We all know that no matter what specs they give the consoles will end outdated by pc's within a couple of years anyways...

Thanks to Dsluckay for the signature and Avatar

Currently working on:Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition, Ratchet and Clank: Nexus

Future project: None ATM

worlds biggest welch fan

so how many video cards do they need
    Sig By Me

Mirrors Edge Platinum

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by nevetsteven2 View Post
    so how many video cards do they need
    The brand new 680 can run unreal engine 4 on one card.

it costs $529 to $599 Depending on Manufacturer and Retailer.

before that it took 3 580's (for Comparison, one of those cards ran Battlefield 3 at 60 FPS)

so yea, alot of power. might as well just move over to the PC at this rate.

PRO-M Thanks 2 NeroRadec!

Within the past year, I've been slowly transitioning towards PC gaming, no worries here.

Signature by DaRe_xLw

Lvl 8 - Gold

we know the wii u wont be running unreal engine 4 UE4 platforms “beyond PC” TBA, UE3 supports Wii U | VG247

PRO Member

What Epic is saying is true, its what we all want.

Just deal with it.

Question is mostly if its feasible or possible, particularly considering the cost angles.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    The brand new 680 can run unreal engine 4 on one card.

it costs $529 to $599 Depending on Manufacturer and Retailer.

before that it took 3 580's (for Comparison, one of those cards ran Battlefield 3 at 60 FPS)

so yea, alot of power. might as well just move over to the PC at this rate.
    That's the problem right there - prohibitively expensive parts for a console. The whole kit-and-kaboodle 720 / PS4 will need to retail at $400 - $500. Sony shot itself in the foot by including high-end components in the PS3, thereby pricing itself out of the market until the Slim hit the ground. They haven't recovered from that hit and can't afford to make the same mistake twice.

If console gamers weren't such tight-arses with their hardware, this would be a non-issue. PC gaming enthusiasts have no problem spending $2000-$3000 on a gaming rig, which is what you'll need to run UT4.

High-end PC gaming is and always has been a niche market. Positioning a new gaming engine beyond the scope of most gamers ability to play it drives the PC sales industry, at least the upgrade segment. Let's not forget Nvidia and AMD have a huge stake in PC gaming (sponsoring games to use their logo in the boot-up sequence) and they're only too happy to hear Cliffy B's statement.

It takes a year or two for new tech to become affordable enough to mass-produce on the cheap, so unless we're prepared to wait until 2015 for the next-gen, we'll just have to see how Epic optimises the UT4 engine for consoles.

PC'ers also appreciate the e-peen value of being able to run games that consoles can't. Exhibit A - PS360.
    Last edited by ant1th3s1s; 05-30-2012 at 02:54 AM.

Crocodile Hunter

Interesting, they cant expect the PS4/720 to be perfect, the console will be around for years you cant just upgrade like Pc's

Sig by Apokolypz

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Damn another ps360 forum I have to stop clicking on these things

Negator

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    They own the biggest game engine of all time, every game dev has used it at one point (except for ones like Valve and DICE who use their own engines.)

List of Unreal Engine games - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

so yea their opinion is pretty valuable.
    Yeah, I'm with Ps360 on this one...Epic knows their shit, and if you're too blind to see it, then your opinions are invalid.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay