A question about mass effect

This is a discussion on A question about mass effect within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; I have heard a lot of good things about the mass effect series, but since the 1st one is a ...

Lvl 3 - Bronze

A question about mass effect

I have heard a lot of good things about the mass effect series, but since the 1st one is a 360 exclusive, I can't play it.

My question is, if I skipped mass effect 1, would I still be able to understand the story?

Resident PHD

There is an interactive comic that explains the first game and lets you make choices.

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Oh yeah, they have the intro comic at the beginning of ME2(I think you have to buy ME2 new or purchase the Cerberus network pack thingy in the PS-Store) that explains the most important events from ME1. And it is an interactive comic so you get to decide how those events took place. You know, choose to go right or left, kill someone or let them live. It is a very cool feature. Definitely helped me understand the 1st game.

EDIT: Mayus posted while I was typing lol
    Check out my YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/GenCapGaming

Hesitation Equals Regret

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Cool, maybe I'll get ME2 Is it any good?

PRO-M Thanks 2 NeroRadec!

I have heard a lot of good things about the mass effect series, but since the 1st one is a 360 exclusive, I can't play it.
    My question is, if I skipped mass effect 1, would I still be able to understand the story?
    Yea, there is some kinda comic that explains it but IMO you gotta play the first no matter what & then continue the trilogy. If not, pass. jk kinda.
    (Edit) & ME2 is the best in the series, IMO. Story / gameplay wise. Def, a must play.

Signature by DaRe_xLw

A plat a month!

Quote Originally Posted by NimLex View Post
    In my opinion, its a must have! I didn't have ME1 (didn't get it for the PC), and loved it!

Lvl 9 - Gold

Iīm saying this, you arenīt missing anything. Shepard is no badass in ME 1.
    Hand-bra Jeans

The exposure of the female's soft body. Whether you like it or not, being naked to the waist and the mismatch between the hard and thick jeans. The true essence is the union of girly and boyish styles.At the same time, the hand-bra forces even the current girls that lack shameful feelings to make an embarrassing pose. Depending on how it is seen, it also shows a form of eroticism by making it look like the girls are rubbing their own breasts.

Medaka Box

Lvl 6 - Silver

The interactive comic is useful for making the major decisions but it can't compare to playing the first mass effect. If all you have is a PS3 then go for the interactive comic though.

PRO-M Thanks 2 NeroRadec!

The interactive comic is useful for making the major decisions but it
    can't compare
    to playing the first mass effect
    Exactly this.

Signature by DaRe_xLw

Lvl 7 - Gold

Don't let that stop you from playing these amazing games. You will pick the story up just fine. Also, there are lots of guides on the web if you want your character to start out a certain way.

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by dr_mayus View Post
    There is an interactive comic that explains the first game and lets you make choices.
    did you mention how it doesn't compare at all to how well mass effect 1 is

Fight the Future

Nah, don't even bother with Mass Effect. The third game ruined the whole series so there isn't even a point in playing the games anymore. You should've picked it up earlier before "BioShit" ruined it.

That being said, I highly recommend playing the first game before delving into the second because, as said, the interactive comic is no where even close to playing the first game. I played the first on PC and continued the story on PS3 but unfortunately haven't had the chance to play the third installment yet. If it really comes down to it, you could watch a "Let's Play" or something on YouTube so you'd understand the lore and universe better.

Local Drunk

Quote Originally Posted by NimLex View Post
    It's excellent, definitely worth playing.

Awesomely awesome sig by Beam & social group bar by DaRe
    The Local Drunk's Experience With Trophies

illegal in 9 countries

Mass Effect is worthwhile playing for the main storyline missions. They can be completed in 8 - 10 hours, depending on difficulty, which makes it quite a short game. You can waste another 50+ hours completing all assignments, but they're nothing but poorly produced filler content.

ME2 can also be rushed and completed in about 10 - 12 hours, however the loyalty missions are stellar in comparison to ME's weak side-content.

ME2 is a much more satisfying experience and the intro comic does an admirable job of bringing you up to speed. The RPG levelling, skills and combat are also quite different - though simpler in some respects, its more rewarding in the sequel.

Unless you can get ME on the cheap on 360 or PC and are desperate to play the main storyline, move straight to ME2...you're not missing much.