38 Studios Lays Off All Staff, Project Copernicus Likely Dead

This is a discussion on 38 Studios Lays Off All Staff, Project Copernicus Likely Dead within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Things have just been handled poorly by the suits in charge. There is basically no communication, and staff have been ...

Lvl 7 - Gold

38 Studios Lays Off All Staff, Project Copernicus Likely Dead

Things have just been handled poorly by the suits in charge. There is basically no communication, and staff have been layed off with no notice after not receiving past paychecks, and they learned through a doctor visit that their insurance expires at midnight. I'm not sure how hands on Curt Schilling is, but I have lost all respect I had for him from his years playing baseball.

I really hope that somebody purchases the rights and work for Project Copernicus. I wouldn't mind seeing BioWare do something with it, as Kingdoms of Amalur was basically like a live action combat Dragon Age, so they should be able to finish it off proper.

38 Studios Reportedly Lays Off Staff, Shuts Down Big Huge Games - Is This The End? - Forbes

Curt Schilling’s 38 Studios lays off all workers - BostonHerald.com

MY PLATINUM CARD ONLY ANIMATES IF YOU'RE USING FIREFOX, AS IT'S AN ANIMATED PNG FILE

Resident PHD

I never got to play KoA, was it any good?

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

Lvl 7 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by dr_mayus View Post
    Yes, yes it was. Sadly it was under the radar, even when people knew about it and everybody said it sold well.
    Everybody took Skyrim over KoA. It sucks to see the studio gone.

Kingdom of Amalur didn't deserve this, the MMO did.
    I hope to see a miracle happen and hope KoA makes it out alive with somebody else taking it.
    Currently Playing:|Mass Effect 2/Insanity Run|

|Thanks Alison for the Signature.| My Youtube.

All out of bubblegum.....

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalick View Post
    Things have just been handled poorly by the suits in charge. There is basically no communication, and staff have been layed off with no notice after not receiving past paychecks, and they learned through a doctor visit that their insurance expires at midnight. I'm not sure how hands on Curt Schilling is, but I have lost all respect I had for him from his years playing baseball.

I really hope that somebody purchases the rights and work for Project Copernicus. I wouldn't mind seeing BioWare do something with it, as Kingdoms of Amalur was basically like a live action combat Dragon Age, so they should be able to finish it off proper.

38 Studios Reportedly Lays Off Staff, Shuts Down Big Huge Games - Is This The End? - Forbes

That is beyond shitty. Likewise...I have lost all respect for Curt. Was one of my favorite pitchers all time besides Nolan Ryan and Sandy Koufax. I loved Reckoning too, and was looking forward to this project.. sigh.
    Trade your Games HERE!
    Scogg34's House of Splatter

Avy/Sig by the Awesome Stupot

Legend...Nuff Said

Beat me to posting it. I saw it on ESPN.
    Part of me wants to buy the game now since I don't think we will see a GotY edition...Hmmm...good thing I'm going game shopping tomorrow.

L
    asombra Files Interviews and Top Trophy Tournament Commentary from Skip and Max linked in the banner.
    Checkout the Facebook page or follow me on Twitter @LasombraFiles
    My novels can be found here: The Lasombra Files: Choice and Consequence and
    Til Death Do Us Part
    Big thanks to the site for giving me my start as a writer!

Lvl 7 - Gold

I definitely enjoyed it. The best way to describe it was that it played like Dragon Age, but with live controlled combat and skills.

The only downside to it is that it has no real replay value because the storylines are basically set. Your choices don't have much of an impact, other than the bonuses your character gets. For this reason, it's a game best gameflyed/rented or purchased after the price comes down.

MY PLATINUM CARD ONLY ANIMATES IF YOU'RE USING FIREFOX, AS IT'S AN ANIMATED PNG FILE

Lvl 1 - Bronze

...it's a game best gameflyed/rented or purchased after the price comes down.
    Which is exactly what I intend to do Oh, and just because I have it handy.

Resident Deadhead

it blows my mind that the article says they needed to move 3 million units to break even. I remember the days where selling 1 million units (what KoA sold) was a BIG deal...
    I Grew up a Fuckin Screw-Up, Got introduced to the Game, got an ounce and Fuckin Blew Up.

Only the Good Die Young, so I'll be here Awhile

Legend...Nuff Said

So the game made 60 million, chopped up into how many different pies of allocation. (60 bucks x 1 million copies pre-tax) Wow, like seriously, how does a company burn when it makes that much money. What were they spending it all on.

L
    asombra Files Interviews and Top Trophy Tournament Commentary from Skip and Max linked in the banner.
    Checkout the Facebook page or follow me on Twitter @LasombraFiles
    My novels can be found here: The Lasombra Files: Choice and Consequence and
    Til Death Do Us Part
    Big thanks to the site for giving me my start as a writer!

PRO Member

Not just any doctor visit. A staff members wife was having a pregnancy checkup. If that isn't a slap in the face I don't know what is.
    Sig by Alison//Avatar by kid420247//PPS BAR by RaveNScythE18

Lvl 5 - Silver

God damn it!!
    Kingdoms of Amalur is so much fun! It deserves a sequel..

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by jenkem_addict88 View Post
    it blows my mind that the article says they needed to move 3 million units to break even. I remember the days where selling 1 million units (what KoA sold) was a BIG deal...
    There seems to be some confusion when it comes to this part. To my understanding and how it was explained to me, KoA selling 1.2 million is still an impressive number. HOWEVER, because they had taken out a $75 million dollar loan to cover their MMO that had been in the works for seven years, that's why they keep saying they needed to move over twice as many units as they did with KoA. It has nothing to do with covering the costs of KoA but everything to do with covering the costs for the seven-year-in-the-making MMO, and they were banking on KoA to help cover those costs. That's why the governor of R.I. keeps saying KoA was "a failure" but not for the reason people first think of.

KoA itself was not the failure, the game's sales failed to meet their expectations to cover their $75 million dollar loan which was separate from KoA.

But it keeps getting interpreted online as a game selling 1.2 million is not good enough anymore and that's simply not the case. I hope that makes sense because I was confused as well

Resident PHD

Quote Originally Posted by Muff Diver View Post
    There seems to be some confusion when it comes to this part. To my understanding and how it was explained to me, KoA selling 1.2 million is still an impressive number. HOWEVER, because they had taken out a $75 million dollar loan to cover their MMO that had been in the works for seven years, that's why they keep saying they needed to move over twice as many units as they did with KoA. It has nothing to do with covering the costs of KoA but everything to do with covering the costs for the seven-year-in-the-making MMO, and they were banking on KoA to help cover those costs. That's why the governor of R.I. keeps saying KoA was "a failure" but not for the reason people first think of.

KoA itself was not the failure, the game's sales failed to meet their expectations to cover their $75 million dollar loan which was separate from KoA.

But it keeps getting interpreted online as a game selling 1.2 million is not good enough anymore and that's simply not the case. I hope that makes sense because I was confused as well
    Why do companies keep putting out MMOs. There must be a dozen or so that come out every year and how many of those become successful?

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Don't forget, they started seven years ago. If I remember correctly MMOs were just becoming a thing -- the biggest, of course, being WoW. Apparently Curt Schilling played a lot of Everquest while he was traveling on the road during baseball season and that's the type of game he wanted to make.

I agree, I don't understand the MMO hype either as I've never found them remotely appealing. But you can't think of their decision to make that type of game in today's market. You have to go back seven years ago when it was just taking off.

Huge Skip Bayless fan.

they shouldve never had gotten the money

Formerly known as UrbanHellraiser

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by El Jefe View Post
    they shouldve never had gotten the money
    To finish your quote, "...from the R.I. taxpayers."

This was just a bad deal all around. The employees got screwed and the taxpaying citizens of R.I. got screwed as well.

Korean Girl Group Groupie

Why do companies keep putting out MMOs. There must be a dozen or so that come out every year and how many of those become successful?
    Well in fairness, seven years ago MMOs were the big thing and a lot of companies were wondering how they could duplicate the success of World of Warcraft, something we are unlikely to see again in the short term future. Today it's a different world, particularly to the economics pertaining to gaming. Taking up a major console release for most companies is a major crap shoot considering the rapidly declining sales of retail releases, with a plethora of options out there.

---

Sad to hear about this, for all parties involved, especially considering that Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning was a strong freshman outing for a new game studio in what it delivered. It's not exactly the best of times to be a game developer.

Need help? Just ask (blank friend requests will always be ignored)