Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Video Game Franchises That You Think Are Over-Rated?

This is a discussion on Video Game Franchises That You Think Are Over-Rated? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Assassins Creed .. 'nuff said. The games are milked & only AC2 was great IMO (after that meh) but the ...

PRO-M Thanks 2 NeroRadec!

Video Game Franchises That You Think Are Over-Rated?

Assassins Creed.. 'nuff said.

The games are milked & only AC2 was great IMO (after that meh) but the game also should have a better approach towards assassinating targets (in a Hitman fashion) or should be renamed warriors creed since eventually you usually take on every single guard in the game.

That's it, (of course COD too though.. duh).

Signature by DaRe_xLw

Resident Deadhead

infamous, COD, prototype, halo &, Suikoden all come to mind. ESPECIALLY COD
    I Grew up a Fuckin Screw-Up, Got introduced to the Game, got an ounce and Fuckin Blew Up.

Only the Good Die Young, so I'll be here Awhile

Local Drunk

CoD definitely
    God Of War
    Last edited by Feral; 05-28-2012 at 03:54 AM. Reason: Forgot GoW

Awesomely awesome sig by Beam & social group bar by DaRe
    The Local Drunk's Experience With Trophies

Banned

Metal Gear Solid
    God of War
    Resident Evil

Game on....

• Call Of Duty
    • The Sims (a franchise that has sold over 100 million games and yet the games are boring as hell!)
    • Tomb Raider
    • The EA Sports Games (another franchise which has sold well over 100 million games).

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

Halo - it's just not that good.Call me ignorant, stupid or biased, i just see no part of it i like.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

guitar hero. but that died out
    AC

NSFW

*Ahem* (In no particular order)

- Call of Duty
    - Battlefield
    - Final Fantasy
    - Uncharted
    - The Legend of Zelda
    - Super Mario Galaxy
    - Assassins Creed
    - Metal Gear Solid
    - Devil May Cry
    - Dragon Age
    - Mass Effect
    - Halo
    - God of War
    - Gears of War
    - L. A. Noire
    - GTA
    - Bully
    - Half-Life
    - Portal
    - Need for Speed
    - Every sports game in existence

Of those I remember. I'm not saying they're bad by the way.

Sig made by Beam. Platbar by Thunder.

Sig made by Beam.
    Platbar made by Thunder.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Grand theft Auto...just never saw the appeal.

Buy my book, Alteration

Street Fighter
    Call of Duty

That is all.

Sig by DaRe
    Click the sig and be whisked away to my checklist (now with updates!)! Or click here to visit my YouTube channel!
    Author of Alteration, now available!

Level 5 Esper

Street Fighter
    CoD
    MvC
    God of War
    Uncharted
    Every Mario game created
    NFS
    GTA
    Gears of War
    >>>>> New Trophy Case <<<<<

Multiplayer/Old PSN

Currently Playing
    FFX-2 HD Remake (PS3) || Killzone Mercenary (PSV) || Hearthstone (PC)

My Guides

Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention
    Generator Rex: Agent of Providence

Prayer Warrior

that's an easy question to answer. by far the most over rated game series ever made is CoD. they put out way too many games too soon for the franchise to stay relevant.

ps3trophies.com member since April 2009

Lvl 4 - Silver

Metal Gear Solid
    Call of Duty
    Final Fantasy
    Pokemon
    Grand Theft Auto
    Guitar Hero
    Rock Band
    All the "random" Mario franchises (Sports, Kart, Party)
    All fighting game franchises

When life gives you lemons, make orange juice and leave people wondering how the hell you did it.

Click-Click-Kaboom

COD and Battlefield needs to go.

PSN- Il_WidowmakeR_Il

PRO Member

I honestly enjoy most games so it is hard for me to pick an "overated" game, but here are a few.

The Legend of Zelda - Just could never understand why people adore these games so much. To be fair, I have never played Ocarina of Time though.
    Deus Ex - Don't get me wrong. The Deus Ex series is awesome, but I just felt that Human Revolution was praised a little bit too much. The story of the whole series IMO isn't as interesting as it is made out to be. Adam is just a pretty flat character.
    Tomb Raider - Lets be honest. We all know the reaaaal reason why people like this game.

Here are games that I am going to defend that everyone says are overated.
    COD - Ok, first off I am not a cod fanboy, hell, I haven't even bought MW3 yet and probably never will. But this is often looked upon as the most overated series this gen and you know what. I am going to defend it. Believe it or not, COD puts out one of the most complete packages every year, including a 6 to 7 hour campaign, spec ops/zombies, and multiplayer that provides endless fun. COD is one the bigges bang for your buck out there.

Assassin's Creed - This is another game that has been getting hated on recently. I can understand why. They put out two new games after AC2 taking place in the same time period and they were not developed by the same team. So it is clear Ubisoft is trying to milk the franchise a good bit. So what. After AC2, I would Brotherhood and Revelations are underated. They both added more to story and some very memorable gameplay moments. This might sound crazy to a lot of you out there, but technically Brotherhood and Revelations are much better games than AC2. They just didn't have the same impact on you is all.

Wow, looks like I did a lot more defending than answering the question.

Sig by Bladia

The One and Only

The only franchise that pops up to mind right now is CoD, but alot of people would agree with me, thus making it less overrated.

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig, Avy, and Bar Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist getting revived soon!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop, currently open!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

Legendary...Nuff Said

Quote Originally Posted by mattveego View Post
    Here are games that I am going to defend that everyone says are overated.
    COD - Ok, first off I am not a cod fanboy, hell, I haven't even bought MW3 yet and probably never will. But this is often looked upon as the most overated series this gen and you know what. I am going to defend it. Believe it or not, COD puts out one of the most complete packages every year, including a 6 to 7 hour campaign, spec ops/zombies, and multiplayer that provides endless fun. COD is one the bigges bang for your buck out there.
    I have no quarrels with you defending CoD (though I do personally have a huge distaste for the game series myself) but that statement is just really stupid.

A 6-7 hour campaign is unbelievably short. I don't want to spend $60 on a game with a singleplayer that I can beat within a day or two. This could be somewhat overlooked if the story and setting was at least phenomenal, but generally we're left with the over-stereotypical "let's go kill this Russian bastard" type stuff that we always see in video games that 'depict' what war is. If you're going to make a shooter, at least fill its campaign with shit that actually gives me a feeling of war. Desperation, starvation, hatred, etc. Not just mindless violence. I'm talking about Band of Brothers shit. Make a FPS like Band of Brothers and give it a 15-20+ hour campaign and I'm in.

Sure, there's also some nice zombie co-op fun to be had, and yeah, playing zombies and spec-ops with a buddy to kill some time is fun, but it does eventually wear and tear. You can only play something over and over again so many times before it gets old (which is actually a fair summary of the CoD series as a whole).

Online multiplayer does give some replay value, though it doesn't make sense to me how people can put in 100s of hours into the multiplayer when its so flat. What does CoD's MP offer that other games don't? Yeah, nothing. It's just point, shoot, point, shoot, over and over again. It's not even tactical like a game such as Killzone is. In CoD, one player can be overpowered and win a match for you, whereas in Killzone, or even Battlefield, it's more of a team based game. No one person can singlehandedly win for you.

You want to know what a game with replay value is? Skyrim. Why? Because you can literally lose hundreds upon hundreds of hours playing the game. There's a shitton of side quests and guilds, the main story, and so much more to do. I've spent a whole day just trying to level up one specific stat. And the best part: It doesn't need some shitty online component, where kids like me call you a, "Fucking horseshitty bitch," when they give you a shotgun to the face, in order to give you a lot of bang for your buck.

Just my two cents.

deviantART | Gifts | SOTM XXXVI
    Circumstances may change, but circumcisions are forever.

PRO Member

Pretty much only entered this thread to see how many people would say COD

Thanks to Dsluckay for the signature and Avatar

Currently working on:Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition, Ratchet and Clank: Nexus

Future project: None ATM

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by JackAttack View Post
    I have no quarrels with you defending CoD (though I do personally have a huge distaste for the game series myself) but that statement is just really stupid.

A 6-7 hour campaign is unbelievably short. I don't want to spend $60 on a game with a singleplayer that I can beat within a day or two. This could be somewhat overlooked if the story and setting was at least phenomenal, but generally we're left with the over-stereotypical "let's go kill this Russian bastard" type stuff that we always see in video games that 'depict' what war is. If you're going to make a shooter, at least fill its campaign with shit that actually gives me a feeling of war. Desperation, starvation, hatred, etc. Not just mindless violence. I'm talking about Band of Brothers shit. Make a FPS like Band of Brothers and give it a 15-20+ hour campaign and I'm in.

Sure, there's also some nice zombie co-op fun to be had, and yeah, playing zombies and spec-ops with a buddy to kill some time is fun, but it does eventually wear and tear. You can only play something over and over again so many times before it gets old (which is actually a fair summary of the CoD series as a whole).

Online multiplayer does give some replay value, though it doesn't make sense to me how people can put in 100s of hours into the multiplayer when its so flat. What does CoD's MP offer that other games don't? Yeah, nothing. It's just point, shoot, point, shoot, over and over again. It's not even tactical like a game such as Killzone is. In CoD, one player can be overpowered and win a match for you, whereas in Killzone, or even Battlefield, it's more of a team based game. No one person can singlehandedly win for you.

You want to know what a game with replay value is? Skyrim. Why? Because you can literally lose hundreds upon hundreds of hours playing the game. There's a shitton of side quests and guilds, the main story, and so much more to do. I've spent a whole day just trying to level up one specific stat. And the best part: It doesn't need some shitty online component, where kids like me call you a, "Fucking horseshitty bitch," when they give you a shotgun to the face, in order to give you a lot of bang for your buck.

Just my two cents.
    I was just playing devil's advocate mate. I just hate how so many people hate on COD simply because it is popular to hate COD. They don't even have anything to back it up, but if the whole internet hates it then they might as well hate it too. You actually bring up facts that are true about about the game and I highly respect that.

Sig by Bladia

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rune2303 View Post
    Pretty much only entered this thread to see how many people would say COD
    This is the same reason I popped in. I agree that CoD is overrated although I do play the games quite a bit. After awhile, I stop playing them and then come back to them.

My personal overrated are (In no particular order):
    - NFS (especially once they got away from the customization aspect that made it appealing)
    - Twisted Metal (Pretty much a TPS in car mode)
    - most Mario games (who needs spinoffs with Mario!!)
    - Sonic (just never appealed to me that much)
    - Lego games (same premise in all of them...just different movies)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast