Lasombra Files: Episode 5: These go to 11

This is a discussion on Lasombra Files: Episode 5: These go to 11 within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Front rows seats are hard to find for any concert, let alone tonight’s special report on the Lasombra Files: Episode ...

Legend...Nuff Said

Lasombra Files: Episode 5: These go to 11

Front rows seats are hard to find for any concert, let alone tonight’s special report on the Lasombra Files: Episode 5: These go to 11. Our guest tonight was blasting his tunes like any other rock concert until he put his amp to 11. I couldn’t hear anything after that because the shear awesomeness blew out my ear drums. I think he was answering my questions after the concert, or telling me to leave or else he’d call the cops. Sit back, relax, and bring some ear plugs because the level of awesomeness is off the chart. Now if you will excuse me I need to see a doctor. My ears are still bleeding.

Disclaimer: This interview is reproduced as written by the interviewee with the exception of spelling and some grammar corrections. Picture copyright of its artist/photographer.

Name: Eric Jones, "Voltage"

Lasombra: When did you start gaming?

Voltage: My earliest memory of gaming is playing Megaman X on the Super Nintendo. That was when I was about 6 or 7, if I remember correctly. Been around games ever since.

Lasombra: How did you choose your PSN name?

Voltage: Voltage was a nickname I'd earned being a kid. I was invited to play with my Big Brothers band from time to time and I was an energetic kid, runnin' around like most kids do. Kinda stuck with me for years afterward, and when it came to pick a PSN, it came naturally.

Lasombra: What motivated you to become a trophy hunter? What was your initial spark?

Voltage: That super feeling of accomplishment. I'd had started to go back to my older games and I loved the feeling of almost instant gratification. One evening I saw how close I was to getting the platinum for Dead Space, and I've been hooked since.

Lasombra: Are you a trophy hunter, platinum hunter, or a specific hunter? (Example: All GoW game hunter)

Voltage: I'll have to say...platinum hunter. I just love the feeling of 100 percenting and having something to show for it. Platinum trophies remind me of Scout badges, something you can wear with a bit pride.

Lasombra: How many hours do you dedicate to trophy hunting?

Voltage: Not a lot lately, save for a few things. I recently lost my position at a local recording studio, for local bands, after it shut its doors. So the number of new games will be short for a while, but I'll make it with what I've got. Even with all that, I still find time to play games I love and games with my friends.

Lasombra: What motivates you to go for that next trophy? How do you stay motivated after a long gaming session, particularly with grinding trophies?

Voltage: Easy, the ladder effect. Each trophy is just one more step to the top, or platinum. That little ping with each and every goal met is addictive.

Lasombra: Have you ever gone through any burnout from your sessions?

Voltage: Definitely. Some games just turn out to be draining and even frustrating. It's always a good idea to stop every now n' again. I think breaks are healthy.

Lasombra: What is your proudest platinum? Why? Was it your hardest?

Voltage: That is a tough call, but for now I'll say my most recent Sniper Elite V2. It was a stellar shooter, and made me feel fantastic as a player. As for hardest, Splatterhouse. Not for difficulty but for how much rage it induced. I'm a pretty mellow fellow, but that game just did not like me.

Lasombra: Do you have a trophy goal for the year? If so, how far are you along in it?

Voltage: My original goal since I started was 30 platinums because that was the first huge number I saw someone have when I joined this site in mid '010. Now that I've made my 'super goal', I don't really have one. Maybe one a month, or even finish the year with 40.

Lasombra: Do you believe gamers should be allowed to make trophy hunting teams? Why or why not?

Voltage: If by teams you mean multiple people earning for one account, of course not. That defeats the purpose of the trophy. Each one is a personal achievement that YOU earn. It takes the fun and responsibility out of it. Kinda like copying answers from someone else. Those answers aren't yours. As for a group of folks that just hunt for the shear amount of trophies collectively, sure. Let 'em knock themselves out.

Lasombra: Do you think Sony should create a world database with every user’s PSN trophy info for all to see? Why or why not?

Voltage: Wouldn't hurt. It could spawn a universal trophy community or something. Probably bring some folks together, and even create some healthy competition between folks.

Lasombra: What tips do you have for someone trying to reach the next level and going after a difficult platinum?

Voltage: "Never give up, never surrender" - Jason Nesmith

Lasombra: Regardless of the system, what pre-trophy game would you auto-buy if it was released on the PS3 with trophy support?

Voltage: S.O.S. for Super Nintendo. I've never been able to beat that friggin' game on time. Maybe hearing some trophies pop every now n' again will motivate my ship escaping skills.

Lasombra: You said you've gone through some draining burnout sessions. Can you go more in-depth and tell us what games tried to break you, and what you did to recoup and recover your focus?

Voltage: Games like Dead Space 2 on hardcore or even Mirrors Edge chapter speed-runs. Things that require a lot of focus with little margin for error. More recently I would say Splatterhouse. Not only did it try to break me, but I damn near broke my gaming monitor. I seriously haven't gotten that steamed at a game, let alone anything for that matter, in quite some time. In hindsight, I'm glad I did get mad. It put things into prospective afterwards. Sometimes I don't get my way, sometimes things just aren't fair from the get-go, and sometimes thinking before acting is just as important as the action itself. When something like this happens, I just stop. I walk away. It's just a game, and it'll be there when I'm good n' ready.

Lasombra: Looking over your trophy card you've platted or near platted every music game. Having a background as a professional musician do you take greater pleasure playing those games?

Voltage: I used to quite a bit. I started playing Guitar Hero II to compare it to playing guitar, almost trying to debunk it and show everyone how false it is. But I got hooked right then, couldn't help but to play and find new music in the process. Later on, as things progressed, I played Rock Band 2 in tourneys in my area. As of now, I've lost my spark for rhythm games. A short time ago, I was gifted a copy of Rocksmith, and it's a fantastic idea. It is exactly what the genre of games needed; a bridge between real and play. But in the end, everything just doesn't excite me as much or at all anymore. In the end nothin' beats a good jam with your buddies.

Lasombra: What is the difference between playing a real guitar to that on guitar hero, for those who have no experience playing the real thing.

Voltage: You'd be surprised how much there is in common, especially with song charts vs. chord phrasing. I'm not saying those 5 buttons will give you the power to shred, but there are little hints and bits that, if coming from the game, could result in a few eureka moments.

Lasombra: In Episode 1: The Music Man I interviewed DaRe. After reading his interview, and learning he is also a musician, do you think we will have a musician rivalry on the site soon?

Voltage: I don't think so. Most folks get that music isn't a competition. Then again there's always a few who have something to 'prove', but they won't understand how senseless it is until it's too late. Live and learn.

They are still bleeding doc. What, you think this is strawberry jam? I’m not shouting! Oh, errm, welcome back, I hope you all enjoyed the interview with Voltage. Electrifying was it not? Next week we are crossing the Atlantic to find a hunter of the rare variety in Episode 6: Red Light District.
    I said I wasn’t shouting!

Love it, Hate it, write in the comments below and be heard by the community.

Missed an episode? Check out the Back Issues. No monthly subscription fee either!

Checkout the Facebook page or follow me on Twitter
    @LasombraFiles
    Last edited by Lasombra; 10-08-2012 at 08:09 PM.

L
    asombra Files Interviews and Top Trophy Tournament Commentary from Skip and Max linked in the banner.
    Checkout the Facebook page or follow me on Twitter @LasombraFiles
    My novels can be found here: The Lasombra Files: Choice and Consequence and
    Til Death Do Us Part
    Big thanks to the site for giving me my start as a writer!

Plats-O'-War!!

Excellent interview!!! Awesome job to the both of you!!

Notorious K.I.D.

It's awesome to find out more about Voltage, great too see the amount of artists we have on site. Great read Lasombra, love the uniqueness you bring to these. to you both.
    Avatar by Djunglist---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Signature by Beam

PRO Member

Another great read, to you both.

Sig and Avy made by djunglist
    My Trophy Checklist

Platinum Procrastinator

Another awesome job Lasombra and It was nice to learn more about Eric. I laughed when I read "Electrifying was it not?" A subtle pun
    Like TV shows, join the Small Screen Gossip group!

Legend...Nuff Said

Quote Originally Posted by Denaratuck View Post
    Another awesome job Lasombra and It was nice to learn more about Eric. I laughed when I read "Electrifying was it not?" A subtle pun
    Mission Accomplished. LOL

By the way everyone, Scrunch guessed right who it was so I gave him a rep. The first person to guess the next interviewee will get a rep. I figured it'd help generate some fun and games.

Edit: I'll give the rep once the interview is posted so no spoilers are given away.
    Last edited by Lasombra; 05-29-2012 at 04:07 AM.

L
    asombra Files Interviews and Top Trophy Tournament Commentary from Skip and Max linked in the banner.
    Checkout the Facebook page or follow me on Twitter @LasombraFiles
    My novels can be found here: The Lasombra Files: Choice and Consequence and
    Til Death Do Us Part
    Big thanks to the site for giving me my start as a writer!

Galaxy beauty pirate

Good interview! Wished I was good at music games..

As for the next member, it must be someone from The Netherlands (Red light district) ofcourse (since I also live there but not in the red light district).
    Let me guess.. Gruntingbear maybe?

Scrunch is a 'her' btw.
    Last edited by Artemis; 05-29-2012 at 09:03 AM.
    Sig by Ramon

Closing this account

Pretty good interview. Keep it up.

Nope, nothing

Another good one guys

Red Light District ...nope, no idea.

Player Hater

Cool interview. I like.

That Southern B****

Another awesome interview. Keep them up
    Hitmon133: "Today's passage is taken from the Book of Coug. Chapter 56, Verse 46. >.>"

Epic Banner by Fawst <3

Toggle Spoiler

A plat a month!

Another great interview! I've see Ericvoltage here and there around the forums; its good to get to know the other members of this site on a more personal level.

Quote Originally Posted by Chambers35 View Post
    Red Light District ...nope, no idea.
    This should be interesting

Lvl 7 - Gold

Another nice read guys, good job.

Sig and avatar courtesy of ABSTRACT678
    Platbar courtesy of ThunderStick

Resident PHD

I thought it was going to be Apok this week

Great interview, awesome learning more about my Movie buddy, even though he does like to wear pretty pants.

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

PRO Member

Nice interview again buddy
    Sig by Alison//Avatar by kid420247//PPS BAR by RaveNScythE18

PRO Member

Fantastic job Lasombra. Another Great read and awesome to learn more about Eric.

|
    Sig - Initial D - Mazda RX-7 (FC3S)|
    |by Smashguy |

|Avy - Animals As Leaders|

Winter Is Coming

Another good interview, great to know a bit more about Ericvoltage

And thanks Artemis for the correction

Awesome sig & avy by the Awesome Timeless-Enigma

The One and Only

Another nice interview that I enjoyed reading from the Lasombra Files series!

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig, Avy, and Bar Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist getting revived soon!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop, currently open!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Great
    Nice interview!! Good to know more about other people. Keep up the work!!

I agree with the addictive ping after a trophy Eric Voltage

Red light district huh...? Sheez I don't know.
    Artemis, it can't be me as I'm not inteviewed.
    Nice try though XD.

.... and thanks for relating me with the red light district

Synthwave <3

Great interview! It's always cool to learn about another trophy enthusiast.

Sig by PixieofDarkness
    Platbar by djunglist

My trophy checklist

Latest :

The Last of Us