Schilling finally speaks about the downfall of 38 studios...finally

This is a discussion on Schilling finally speaks about the downfall of 38 studios...finally within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; So other people might have seen this seeing as how it was on the front page of yahoo but i ...

Resident Deadhead

Schilling finally speaks about the downfall of 38 studios...finally

So other people might have seen this seeing as how it was on the front page of yahoo but i figured id share anyways....

Curt Schilling says 38 Studios failure will cost him $50 million | Games Blog - Yahoo! Games

amoungst other things, the article says that hes lost $50 MILLION dollars and he has lost 35 lbs in 45 days.

This whole situation was handled absolutely atrociously, and i still dont sympathize with Curt. Anyone else have any thoughts?

(sorry its hyperlinked, couldnt figure out how to quote the article....)
    I Grew up a Fuckin Screw-Up, Got introduced to the Game, got an ounce and Fuckin Blew Up.

Only the Good Die Young, so I'll be here Awhile

PRO Member

This is sad because I enjoyed Reckoning and was looking forward to more content and/or a sequel. Basically, Schilling willingly accepts a government loan to move his company, fails to make payment, and then blames the government for expressing their annoyance? And then wants more government money to bail him out. That's entertaining coming from a 'small-government' republican like Schilling.

Platinum Procrastinator

After remaining silent as his video game company collapsed around him, Curt Schilling is finally speaking out -- and he's not happy. The former Red Sox pitcher responded to critics, pointing out that he stands to lose as much as $50 million dollars if his troubled 38 Studios can't be saved. Specifically, he took aim at Rhode Island's governor, saying Lincoln Chafee's negative comments about the company "scared off" potential investors who could have saved the studio.
    "The governor is not operating in the best interest of the company by any stretch, or the taxpayers, or the state," Schilling told The Providence Journal. ""We're trying to save this company and we're working 24/7.
    "To be clear, I've never taken a penny out of this company," he added. "If this company fails, I will be financially devastated, and so will other people."
    Schilling also said 38 Studios never asked state officials for a "bailout," despite widespread reports to the contrary. He accuses the state of reneging on tax credits, which would have let the company defer a loan payment due May 1 and meet its May 15 payroll.
    38 Studios laid off all 379 of its employees last week. The workers, who received no warning about the cuts, also reportedly have seen their health benefits expire. The tolls of the shutdown have affected Schilling as well, as the former All-Star has lost 33 lbs. in the past 45 days.
    The company's woes stem from a $75 million loan acquired from the state of Rhode Island in 2010, a move by the state to lure the then-promising company away from its home base in Massachusetts. In February of 2012, 38 Studios shipped its first game, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. While the game was a mid-level hit, selling over 1 million copies, it was unable to help the company stay afloat. Schilling alleged he was on the brink of acquiring $35 million to fund a sequel to the game, but that partner (who he declined to name) backed off after Chafee's comments.
    Rhode Island's governor defended his comments in a brief press conference Tuesday, saying the state wasn't to blame for the company's demise.
    "As a business person, he was new at it, and so I always had some reservations," said Chafee. "I have to verify everything, I can't just take it as a leap of faith … I understand that being involved in this very risky industry that, when things aren't going well, there's gonna be blame. But this isn't accurate to be blaming the state in this case."
    Either way, Schilling implied he expects the ultimate fate of 38 Studios to be decided soon enough.
    "We're at a potential endgame scenario, one way or another, at some point in the near future," he said.
    It sucks to see the company go under because I've heard KoA is a great game and even own it. However, I haven't played it yet. It makes you wonder though, what the MMO they were working on would have turned out like.
    Like TV shows, join the Small Screen Gossip group!

DON'T BLINK

Quote Originally Posted by Denaratuck View Post
    It sucks to see the company go under because I've heard KoA is a great game and even own it. However, I haven't played it yet. It makes you wonder though, what the MMO they were working on would have turned out like.

I know that before all this went down (like a week before) they did release this teaser fly through...

All out of bubblegum.....

wow. Lost what little respect I had for Schilling now... no mention at all ( from what I read) of the employees or their families. Thats just plain wrong. I'll miss not seeing a Reckoning sequel, or the project Copernicus if its not picked up... but just thinking about the families involved is terrible.
    Trade your Games HERE!
    Scogg34's House of Splatter

Avy/Sig by the Awesome Stupot

illegal in 9 countries

Let's do some basic math. A $75 million dollar loan to produce an MMO = doomed from the start.

I played the Reckoning demo yesterday and let's be honest, it's very ordinary at best. It felt like a cheap hybrid between Fable and World of Warcraft and was the buggiest pile of shit I've played on my PS3.

The dialogue menus would zip through the options at the speed of light without me touching them, the audio cut in and out and the ground would disappear in-town. I played the demo to see if it's was worth dropping $20 on the full game...it wasn't. Even forgiving the demo bugs, the combat was sloppy, NPC interaction poor, the quests were generic, though the levelling system was ok. It felt like a dated MMO, without the M, the M or the O.

KoA was never going to sell the 3 million copies it needed to break even and Schilling was clearly the wrong guy to have at the helm. He bought an already failed IP, turned it into KoA, thought making an MMO out of it was a swell idea, then failed to pay staff, meet loan repayments and defaulted some employee mortgages. Stick to throwing balls, spittin' tobaccey and chugging beer next time champ.
    Last edited by ant1th3s1s; 05-30-2012 at 06:30 PM.

Kid, not loser

That teaser looked like there was already a lot of worked done to it already. Sad really, but these things happen. Its always sad when a game company goes away, just hope EA may continue Kingdoms.

Thanks to Bladia for the amazing Sig and Avy.

Lvl 7 - Gold

I admired Schilling from his baseball days, and then lost all respect when things started going down the crapper a week or two ago. I enjoyed KoA Reckoning, and was looking forward to Project Copernicus. I'm holding out hope that another company will pick up Copernicus and finish its development.

BioWare would be the perfect company to continue the KoA series, as KoAR was basically Dragon Age with live combat and skills, but I doubt they would pick up a game so similar to their own Dragon Age franchise.

MY PLATINUM CARD ONLY ANIMATES IF YOU'RE USING FIREFOX, AS IT'S AN ANIMATED PNG FILE

Plat. Blackjack Warrior

NYC, NY ( Or where the Navy sends me :-D)

I really hope some game developer could buy the right to the game and hopefully continue where it left the last project left off and improve from there.

Playing: Final Fantasy 14
    Latest /100%: Saint Rows 4
    Next Platinum/100% Goal: FF 14 (going to a LONG haul...)
    CLAN/GUILD: KUPO KNIGHTS - SARGATANAS SERVER
    LINK: http://kupoknights.guildwork.com/

DON'T BLINK

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    Let's do some basic math. A $75 million dollar loan to produce an MMO = doomed from the start.

I played the Reckoning demo yesterday and let's be honest, it's very ordinary at best. It felt like a cheap hybrid between Fable and World of Warcraft and was the buggiest pile of shit I've played on my PS3.

The dialogue menus would zip through the options at the speed of light without me touching them, the audio cut in and out and the ground would disappear in-town. I played the demo to see if it's was worth dropping $20 on the full game...it wasn't. Even forgiving the demo bugs, the combat was sloppy, NPC interaction poor, the quests were generic, though the levelling system was ok. It felt like a dated MMO, without the M, the M or the O.

KoA was never going to sell the 3 million copies it needed to break even and Schilling was clearly the wrong guy to have at the helm. He bought an already failed IP, turned it into KoA, thought making an MMO out of it was a swell idea, then failed to pay staff, meet loan repayments and defaulted some employee mortgages. Stick to throwing balls, spittin' tobaccey and chugging beer next time champ.
    The demo was done by an off company. The code they put out for the demo was 3 months behind the final game coding. Final copy is a lot better than demo.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

This whole situation is insane and I can only hope that all those employees (and their families) land on their feet.

There was some terrific talent there too. Big Huge Games, which 38 Studios bought, developed Rise of Nations, one of the greatest games I've ever played.

Hey, feel free to add me (Coconutz) on PSN!

Legend...Nuff Said

Raw deal for all around. The dream team of Salvatore and McFarlane is broken up already.

L
    asombra Files Interviews and Top Trophy Tournament Commentary from Skip and Max linked in the banner.
    Checkout the Facebook page or follow me on Twitter @LasombraFiles
    My novels can be found here: The Lasombra Files: Choice and Consequence and
    Til Death Do Us Part
    Big thanks to the site for giving me my start as a writer!