Developers Need to Implement Peer to Peer Gaming, Not Host Servers

This is a discussion on Developers Need to Implement Peer to Peer Gaming, Not Host Servers within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; It seems that every week, another game is having its servers taken offline. With EA Games/Sports, it seems they do ...

Lvl 7 - Gold

Developers Need to Implement Peer to Peer Gaming, Not Host Servers

It seems that every week, another game is having its servers taken offline. With EA Games/Sports, it seems they do 10 a week alone. In some cases, you don't even know that a server is offline when you buy the game from the store, so you get home to find out, "Surprise! You can't play the game online anymore. Tough shit."

I remember around Christmas 2010, there was a new three game bundle released for the holidays that included Tomb Raider, Mercenaries 2, and Uncharted for $30. Great deal, right? Well, I found out after popping in Mercenaries 2 that I could not connect to the servers. It wasn't even just a message or something, it would freeze the entire game so that I had to shut my PS3 off at the power button. How the f*** can you make a new bundle to market a game with a heavy emphasis on online play when there is no more online play?

The average consumer doesn't know if a game's servers are down when they're browsing shelves at the store. Let's not forget that people pump real money into online centered dlc, from multiplayer map packs to packs of digital cards in sports games. They get to enjoy them for a year, maybe two in some cases, and then it goes away because the company doesn't want to host things anymore, which of course makes sense for them financially. Hell, Spare Parts was what, 14 months old before EA pulled the plug?

Companies need to start implementing a peer to peer backup system, especially for those games that require you to buy an online pass. If Player A hosts a game, let everyone connect to him directly.

MY PLATINUM CARD ONLY ANIMATES IF YOU'RE USING FIREFOX, AS IT'S AN ANIMATED PNG FILE

PRO Member

I agree 100% on this, especially since I backlog games sometimes buying them at launch and don't actually play them for quite a while (skate 2 is still sitting in my play soon pile) I really am surprised sony hasn't tried to get developers to implament a P2P option since it would take most of the burden of hosting off the developers saving them and sony money spent on server maintainance etc.

Awesome sig by
    Kid420247! Thank you so much!!!

Many thanks to RaveNScythe18
    for the awesome platcard!!!

My Trophy List
    : Click Here

The One and Only

I agree with this, but I doubt EA and a few other developers gives a shit about it. :/

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig, Avy, and Bar Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist getting revived soon!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop, currently open!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

INTJ

but p2p is a terrible system for games

See: IWnet

Lvl 7 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    but p2p is a terrible system for games

See: IWnet
    Even a bad p2p connection is still a better connection than an offline server, no?

MY PLATINUM CARD ONLY ANIMATES IF YOU'RE USING FIREFOX, AS IT'S AN ANIMATED PNG FILE

Lvl 8 - Gold

most games are peer to peer.the only thing the servers do is match making and storing stats.

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalick View Post
    Even a bad p2p connection is still a better connection than an offline server, no?
    server based games on the PC are still alive to this very day

even very old games like quake, half life, etc. are still being played through servers

the problem is that modern games are too dependent on game company servers. they are too lazy to fix the games to not be dependent on those servers when they shut them off so they shut off the whole service.

the solution is to do what PC Games do and let the players host the servers.

p2p Bullshit still depends on a server too, but when a game company shuts their servers off it's basically a useless system

Kiwi Defender

While I get where you're coming from, this wouldn't really help that much. I for one ain't interested in receiveing a crappy service instead of receiving no service at all. I'd much rather have a good service vailable for about a couple of years instead of being stuck with a crappy one for all eternity. If anything, I think Ps360 is right about this:

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    the solution is to do what PC Games do and let the players host the servers.
    Just look at Halo 1/2, Quake and Counter Strike. They are still veyr popular and are played by thousands of players on a daily basis without them having to depend on some company.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Administrator

They need both, so when official servers are offline it doesn't kill the MP for people who might buy the game late.