Report: Sony Close to Buying a Cloud Gaming Service, Potentially Transforming Future of PlayStation

This is a discussion on Report: Sony Close to Buying a Cloud Gaming Service, Potentially Transforming Future of PlayStation within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Sony might be in talks to acquire either OnLive or Gaikai—the two biggest cloud gaming providers—according to a report on ...

Administrator

Report: Sony Close to Buying a Cloud Gaming Service, Potentially Transforming Future of PlayStation

Sony might be in talks to acquire either OnLive or Gaikai—the two biggest cloud gaming providers—according to a report on Edge that follows up on previous articles on MCV and VG 24/7.

The speculation jibes with comments previously made by a Gaikai executive about this coming E3. It begs the question: what if a console manufacturer got into the cloud gaming business in a big way? Seeing as how the Sonys, Nintendos and Microsofts of the world are hugely dependent on disc-based content, it'd be the equivalent of dogs and cats sleeping together. Well, get ready to have a talk with Fido and Furball, because they may be about to be roommates.

OnLive's managed to bring spiffy tech to market but would probably continue to struggle to make a dent in the hardware market so a deal like this would make sense for them. Gaikai, on the other hand, hasn't sunk money into manufacturing any kind of consoles or controllers but it's shown proof-of-concept for YouTube integration and has a deal for the service to be integrated into upcoming models of LG smart TVs. Of course OnLive has a similar deal with the Google TV platform.

Sony offers full downloads of games via the PlayStation Network but such an acquisition would give them added infrastructure and the proprietary tech that eith company uses to make its streaming viable. Now, it'd be foolhardy to think that such a move would totally replace the next-gen hardware that Sony's working on. But it might shift the design of Orbis/PS4 towards being a box that can stream content more effectively than the current console. The future of consoles is going to be more online-centric moving forward and if these reports are true, Sony would get ahead of the curve in a big way.

When contacted for this story, Sony replied that they do not comment on rumor. Kotaku also reached out to OnLive, who had no comment to offer on the story.
    Source

I don't think Sony would discontinue making a PS4, but may include a cloud based streaming option to their existing lineup which would be pretty neat. And if it brought a bigger user base to cloud gaming that would be awesome.

Huge Skip Bayless fan.

even with a cloud gaming service id prefer to actually having the game either having a physical copy or a digital copy in my console

Formerly known as UrbanHellraiser

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by El Jefe View Post
    even with a cloud gaming service id prefer to actually having the game either having a physical copy or a digital copy in my console
    I agree, especially with owning physical copies. There's just more permament value in physically owning the game than just buying it online and downloading it. I feel the same with music as well.

Administrator

Which ever is cheaper is the version I will get.

PRO-M Thanks 2 NeroRadec!

I have no idea exactly what this is about but if it's another digital revolution thing then count me out.. -_- as said, I also like to feel like actually owning something. (Physical retail copies).

In the digital world, they drop the lines "you only own the license to play punk".

Signature by DaRe_xLw

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by El Jefe View Post
    Same here. Call it nostalgia if you wish, but I like to have tangible things lol

Either way, there's nothing wrong with cloud gaming. I'd probably play a lot on OnLive if it wasn't because of my internet, which is so bad that OnLive itself won't let me access the damn application lol.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

illegal in 9 countries

There's speculation MS is heading in a similar digital-only direction with a disc-less console & account-locked software licensing. Cloud-based gaming is also in R&D at EA and they're not doing it for our benefit.

IMHO, removing hardware and retail software from the equation is nothing more than brute-force DRM and price-fixing. I understand the desire to generate ongoing revenue streams, maintain profit margins and eliminate piracy & second-hand sales, but it's going to be at the gamer's expense.

You don't bite the hand that feeds you and if this is what Sony's market research is telling them we want, they are sorely mistaken.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

That is probably where the rumored "ads" will go. I hope the "ads interrupting gameplay" is just that, a rumor. But cloud based games streaming would be pretty cool IMO, but as long as it's an added feature and not forced.

Crocodile Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Medicine Man View Post
    That is probably where the rumored "ads" will go. I hope the "ads interrupting gameplay" is just that, a rumor. But cloud based games streaming would be pretty cool IMO, but as long as it's an added feature and not forced.
    If there are ads interrupting gameplay on the ps4 i am not buying it. as simple as that

Sig by Apokolypz

Lvl 8 - Gold

As long as they don't completely ditch physical copies. I don't like my gaming to depend on having accounts and an internet connection.

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

Sensible, another choice is good, it would be suicide to make it the main option.

Discs are preferable for me too though.

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Ac3dUd3- View Post
    If there are ads interrupting gameplay on the ps4 i am not buying it. as simple as that
    It won't happen, ever, for a paid game.

They don't interrupt movies at the cinema to show ads. They don't interrupt music at a concert to show ads. They don't throw ads in the middle of novels.

We see ads on commercial TV because it's free. We hear ads on commercial radio because it's free. We'll see ads in free-to-play games because...:drumroll:...they're free.

Sony has a couple of free-to-play MMO's, and the iOS / Android platforms are littered with freemium games, which is also the most profitable model. It's only via those media that interrupting games to show advertising (most likely between levels on loading screens, it won't be during gameplay) would be tolerated. As soon as a financial transaction is involved, the ads will disappear.

There's no reason to believe Sony would ever display advertising in any retail game, aside from occasional product placement. Even then, you'll never see Cole, Kratos or Nate sipping a Coke.